Mizzou Racial Tension

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
It is part of the responsibility of colleges to make sure that their students are safe, yes.

Then they need to get rid of all those dangerous Gingers! :IA:

gingers.jpg

PureX

From hurt feelings?
The people who hurl insults at strangers will soon escalate to more violent means of expressing their bile when they discover they can get away with it. Just as the classmates who are inclined toward racism and abuse will grow more bold when they see outsiders get away with it.

Obviously the students are already feeling unsafe. And it is the school's responsibility to address this as they are charged with maintaining a safe, peaceful, learning environment.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The people who hurl insults at strangers will soon escalate to more violent means of expressing their bile when they discover they can get away with it.

really?

did that happen?

other than in your vivid imagination, i mean

Obviously the students are already feeling unsafe. And it is the school's responsibility to address this.

ahh, isee

the school is responsible for their feelings :chuckle:

ok doser

Since this is all the result of leftist policies, which incorporate the press and the universities, this is a case of reaping what you sow.
There's sort of a sad, schadenfreude feel to it for me.

i hope she gets fired by the university for being a moron

and charged by the police for inciting violence, calling for some "muscle"

what an idiot

Huckleberry

The people who hurl insults at strangers will soon escalate to more violent means of expressing their bile when they discover they can get away with it. Just as the classmates who are inclined toward racism and abuse will grow more bold when they see outsiders get away with it.

Obviously the students are already feeling unsafe. And it is the school's responsibility to address this as they are charged with maintaining a safe, peaceful, learning environment.
The two incidents were of random passersby who can't even be named. What exactly do you, or they, expect the university president to do? There were no violent incidents. Not even threats of violence. Just some knuckleheads casting out a racial slur in passing, gone before they could even be identified.

The student protesters are demanding "safe spaces" and excluding the press with threats of violence. They are demanding that their feelings to be protected and, worse, violating the safe, peaceful, learning environment you say should be protected. If that's what you believe, then you're supporting the wrong people.

Huckleberry

A bunch of white people on this board that don't go to Mizzou telling us how it is there. typical.
Is it unreasonable for people on this board to respond to current events that aren't actually occurring right outside their doors? That'll eliminate quite a lot of threads.

Oh, wait. This only applies to "white people"? :liberals:

Racism is so confusing. :dizzy:

The Berean

Sorry. I forgot to check my white privilege.

Wait, am I white? I dunno. Lemme check...

family_guy.jpg

Aww, crap. I'm kinda in between there...

OMG, racism is so confusing! :dizzy:

I'm right on the red line. Let me go outside to get some sun and move lower from the redline. :idea: Be back in an hour.

The Berean

And who are these "people"? :idunno: All this controversy about the university president not doing anything got all the news. Everyone was patting themselves on the back for forcing him to resign. Ok, so he is gone now. So now what? :idunno: Who were these people that hurled racial slurs at black students? Were they fellow students? Campus staff? Campus visitors? Random people? NO ONE is asking this question.

PureX

The two incidents were of random passersby who can't even be named. What exactly do you, or they, expect the university president to do? There were no violent incidents. Not even threats of violence. Just some knuckleheads casting out a racial slur in passing, gone before they could even be identified.

The student protesters are demanding "safe spaces" and excluding the press with threats of violence. They are demanding that their feelings to be protected and, worse, violating the safe, peaceful, learning environment you say should be protected. If that's what you believe, then you're supporting the wrong people.
There were clearly more than two incidents, as there are more than a few students responding in various ways.

And there are a number of things the school president could have done, immediately. One, is increase campus security, and intensify police response to on-campus incursion and harassment by outsiders. Pick-up trucks with rebel flags driving around the campus, etc., would probably be something to look out for, and strongly discourage.

Also, if the president could write articulately (which he apparently could not), he could write a letter to the local paper chronicling the increase is racist incidents and explaining why these should be nipped in the bud by both the campus and the local authorities, before they result on someone being attacked or assaulted. Because there is no way this kind of nonsense will result in anything but trouble.

The college president is directly in charge of the liaison between the college and the community, and he should have attended to this sort of thing, immediately, and intently.

ok doser

And who are these "people"? :idunno: All this controversy about the university president not doing anything got all the news. Everyone was patting themselves on the back for forcing him to resign. Ok, so he is gone now. So now what? :idunno: Who were these people that hurled racial slurs at black students? Were they fellow students? Campus staff? Campus visitors? Random people? NO ONE is asking this question.

obviously they were the university president in disguise :duh:

Huckleberry

There were clearly more than two incidents, as there are more than a few students responding in various ways.
I wasn't aware of that. I'll go update myself on this.
And there are a number of things the school president could have done, immediately. One, is increase campus security, and intensify police response to on-campus incursion and harassment by outsiders. Pick-up trucks with rebel flags driving around the campus, etc., would probably be something to look out for, and strongly discourage.
Which would be a direct violation of free speech. On a college campus, for crying out loud. A place where free speech should be rather paramount.
Also, if the president could write articulately (which he apparently could not), he could write a letter to the local paper chronicling the increase is racist incidents and explaining why these should be nipped in the bud by both the campus and the local authorities, before they result on someone being attacked or assaulted. Because there is no way this kind of nonsense will result in anything but trouble.
Nip free speech in the bud. :think:

How, exactly? Without breaking the law, I mean.
The college president is directly in charge of the liaison between the college and the community, and he should have attended to this sort of thing, immediately, and intently.
...by denying others the right to free speech? Off campus even?

Are you not seeing the problem here?