Mizzou Racial Tension

bybee

Truth be told, these days the media is more likely to deliberately ratchet up tensions with hyperbole than report on them accurately. So maybe it's not so strange that someone would propose a "media free zone", where people could talk to each other without the hyperbolic media doing everything it can to encourage tensions.

Normally that would be in class rooms and study groups. These students with their ever so fragile and tender sensibilities want guarantees that life will be fair to them. That nary an unkind word or deed shall come their way. How very precious they are. How very tender and vulnerable and unable to take care of themselves they are.
Yet they are filled with loud, stentorian bombast when it comes to getting what they want.
At this point in time, with these bawl-babies in charge, a degree from this university is worth about as much as a roll of toilet paper!

PureX

Normally that would be in class rooms and study groups. These students with their ever so fragile and tender sensibilities want guarantees that life will be fair to them. That nary an unkind word or deed shall come their way. How very precious they are. How very tender and vulnerable and unable to take care of themselves they are.
Yet they are filled with loud, stentorian bombast when it comes to getting what they want.
At this point in time, with these bawl-babies in charge, a degree from this university is worth about as much as a roll of toilet paper!
Wow! Speaking of the hyperbolic ratcheting up of tensions! You should be a media-mouth! You'd have an all-out riot going on in no time!

Film at 11!

brewmama

Truth be told, these days the media is more likely to deliberately ratchet up tensions with hyperbole than report on them accurately. So maybe it's not so strange that someone would propose a "media free zone", where people could talk to each other without the hyperbolic media doing everything it can to encourage tensions.

That is ridiculous. They are agitating for self serving, laughable goals, based on claims totally unsupported by any evidence in a very public, hostile manner. The media is ON THEIR SIDE. The only reason there could possibly be to throw out the media is that there is something going on they don't want seen.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Maybe they just wanted more control over the process. I recall reading that most diversity training does little. I would probably want more hands on influence on it if I were in their position.
Why do you think training does little? What do you think they will change?

They're at 2% Black faculty right now. Student body is about 8%. My college by contrast is 21% in our student body. Most HBCUs are around 60 -80% in the student body. There is a problem of relatively low supply of black PhDs but also a strong tendency in academia to hire someone like yourself and a desire in applicants to be with similar people. If you have a concerted, public effort to reach a higher percentage of black faculty you might get more buy in from applicants as well. Since they would be less likely to face the problem of being the only representative in their college or department.
What problem exists if there is only one black professor in a department? I can understand wanting more representation in police departments, as another example, but a college department? :idunno:

They may look at it as there have been quite literally decades of inaction on this subject. People maintain the status quo when they're allowed to do so. Demanding something relatively quickly that is more noticeable I think is at least somewhat understandable.
Perhaps. But has there been a long history of racial incidents like this?
Have there been protests over the lack of minority staff before?

It may have been overkill and symbolic but unfortunately humans in general tend not to respond to a problem seriously unless it's a crisis. By doing what they did the problems will be taken a lot more seriously in the future.

No movement is perfect they all make mistakes and these are young people that will continue to make them. But I think the rest of us should use this opportunity to respond to our fellow human beings with an attempt to understand their position.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what unfolds in Missouri.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

It seems like tension is how they got what they wanted.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
They expect the world to conform, and its working. He shouldnt have resigned, they should have been suspended and any teachers who went along with the coercion, should have been fired.

Yeeeoooop!....Of course the amusing thing is that as long as current societal conditions hold they probably will be able to maintain their "safe spaces" (with only minor/temporary invasions) indefinitely. :)

bybee

Yeeeoooop!....Of course the amusing thing is that as long as current societal conditions hold they probably will be able to maintain their "safe spaces" (with only minor/temporary invasions) indefinitely. :)

Can you imagine having to work with these entitled persons? No doubt whatever happens it will not be their responsibility.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Can you imagine having to work with these entitled persons? No doubt whatever happens it will not be their responsibility.

I would think that anyone who has to deal with them is doing so by choice since they tend to congregate together....It's the only way that they whole mentality can maintain it's structure. :think:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The football coach should have dismissed the players involved. And now, the President should fire the coach for tolerating racial intimidation.

PureX

It seems like tension is how they got what they wanted.
What do they want? Not to be harassed and insulted because of their race?

And look at the ignorant and racist reaction right here on this thread! And this from people who don't know any of them, don't live in their community, or have any real idea what's going on. Yet they universally condemn them, and despise them, call them names, and defend the right to insult and humiliate them in public. This is the environment they're living in. And they have every right to feel unsafe. Because they are unsafe if we allow these racist bullies to run amok.

bybee

What do they want? Not to be harassed and insulted because of their race?

And look at the ignorant and racist reaction right here on this thread! And this from people who don't know any of them, don't live in their community, or have any real idea what's going on. Yet they universally condemn them, and despise them, call them names, and defend the right to insult and humiliate them in public. This is the environment they're living in. And they have every right to feel unsafe. Because they are unsafe if we allow these racist bullies to run amok.

Oh get over yourself you big crybaby! Life is full of slings and arrows!
These young people want to run the show! They wanttheywanttheywant!
Nobody is condemning them. But I personally condemn their entitlement mentality. I certainly don't despise a bunch of misguided young persons going after everything they can get by fair means or foul. As for humiliating them? To call a thing what I see it to be is my right.
Quitcherb....ing and attend classes, play your sports and get on with the business of life.
I cannot stomach crybabies! Do what able bodied industrious people do, take care of yourself, be responsible for yourself, go to class and do the best you can to validate the trust put into you by others who are paying for you through taxes, grants and scholarships.

PureX

Oh get over yourself you big crybaby! Life is full of slings and arrows!
These young people want to run the show! They wanttheywanttheywant!
Nobody is condemning them. But I personally condemn their entitlement mentality. I certainly don't despise a bunch of misguided young persons going after everything they can get by fair means or foul. As for humiliating them? To call a thing what I see it to be is my right.
Quitcherb....ing and attend classes, play your sports and get on with the business of life.
I cannot stomach crybabies! Do what able bodied industrious people do, take care of yourself, be responsible for yourself, go to class and do the best you can to validate the trust put into you by others who are paying for you through taxes, grants and scholarships.
You really need to address this stumbling-block of bile, within yourself, before you choke on it. I'm saying this as a friend.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
purex, unable to see past the log in his own eye, attempts to point out the mote in bybee's:
You really need to address this stumbling-block of bile, within yourself, before you choke on it. I'm saying this as a friend.

:nono: