Mizzou Racial Tension

bybee

That's a question I had too. These students wanted him to resign, but I'm not sure what exactly they wanted him to do in response to these racial incidents.

Is their anger towards him all based on this?

The Columbia Daily Tribune reported that Wolfe was confronted outside a fundraising event in Kansas City Friday night by protesters who asked him to define systemic oppression. According to video of the encounter posted on Twitter, Wolfe responded that the students may not like his answer before saying, "Systematic oppression is because you don’t believe that you have the equal opportunity for success —"

That statement provoked anger from the protesters, one of whom asked "Did you just blame us for systematic oppression, Tim Wolfe?" as the president walked away.

:idunno:

When the tail wags the dog the dog becomes ineffective. Now the students get to determine how the University must be run? Apparently they know more than the administrators? One wonders where this shall lead?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's a question I had too. These students wanted him to resign, but I'm not sure what exactly they wanted him to do in response to these racial incidents.

apparently they wanted Wolfe to use his Super University President powers and create a world in which morons who shout racial slurs don't exist, ever, anywhere

and then they wanted him to fill the football stadium with chocolate ice cream and give them spoons

Alate_One

Is their anger towards him all based on this?

That statement provoked anger from the protesters, one of whom asked "Did you just blame us for systematic oppression, Tim Wolfe?" as the president walked away. [/box]
They felt he wasn't responding to their problems. And as a university president if students come to you during a time of crisis, you need to "feel their pain" above all. He wasn't able to do that.

I think that particular statement was simply the straw that broke the camel's back after weeks of inaction in response to a variety of incidents.

Recognizing a problem and at least attempting to do something would have helped. Our college's president staged a "listening post" for students when they administration heard student complains about (non-racial) problems. That's what he should have done at the very least.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
They felt he wasn't responding to their problems. And as a university president if students come to you during a time of crisis, you need to "feel their pain" above all. He wasn't able to do that.

I think that particular statement was simply the straw that broke the camel's back after weeks of inaction in response to a variety of incidents.

Recognizing a problem and at least attempting to do something would have helped. Our college's president staged a "listening post" for students when they administration heard student complains about (non-racial) problems. That's what he should have done at the very least.

don't have the time to go back and look, but i remember that he did start some processes, he did respond to their complaints

bybee

It has nothing to do with Missouri. They are just easy pickings living in their little bubble of reality.

I wonder how many of the football players are paying toward their college education? Are they there on scholarships? If so, do they attend class and must they maintain a passing grade to continue in the program?
Or do athletics rule the roost because they bring in revenue?
:confused:

kmoney

Hall of Fame

A very long term process.

And it wasn't completely about race either, The Chronicle has a great summary.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...cle_0c96f986-84c6-11e5-a38f-2bd0aab0bf74.html

Oct. 8: Loftin announces mandatory online diversity training for faculty, staff and students, which is met with widespread skepticism.

Loftin's training initiative came after a number of accounts of overt racism experience by students on campus, but the announcement was met with skepticism and suspicion.
Skepticism and suspicion based on what?

Here are some of the 8 demands:

Enforcement of mandatory racial awareness and inclusion curriculum for all faculty, staff and students, controlled by a board of color.
Is that the training that Loftin talked about and they were skeptical and suspicious about? Is the only difference that it's run by a black board?

An increase in the percentage of black faculty and staff to 10 percent by the 2017-18 academic year, and the development by May 1 of a 10-year plan to promote a safer, more inclusive campus.
What % are they at now? Has there been any evidence of racial discrimination in hiring? Why should Wolfe agree to a 10% requirement? What is the 10% based on? What will they do if the next President doesn't agree to the 10?

Chronicle article said:
"What needs to happen is the willingness to have open dialogue," Mr. Culmer said. "That’s something that can happen quickly. Students are intelligent enough to know that no one is going to snap their fingers and get rid of racism."
Are they? I'm not so sure. They apparently weren't ok with the long term process that you said Wolfe had come up with.

I'm not saying there aren't problems on the MU campus and it does seem like Wolfe could/should have been more responsive, but I feel like this is a situation in which emotions are running hot and there is a group calling for heads and throwing out demands because they just want something done, not necessarily because the demands are reasonable.

bybee

:think: Coddled, pathetic, whiney progressives protesting coddled, pathetic, whiney bigots.

Totally. :plain:

Indeed and now the football team is running the campus.
What person in his/her right mind would continue to financially support such an institution?

The Berean

I wonder how many of the football players are paying toward their college education? Are they there on scholarships? If so, do they attend class and must they maintain a passing grade to continue in the program?
Or do athletics rule the roost because they bring in revenue?
:confused:

They are probably on scholarship and I suspect many of them were accepted to the university mainly because they can play football.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It isn't my world. You think God is wrong? Interesting.

It's amazing how you jump to extremes. Like EVERY right wing institution is fine and dandy. Plus all the other jumps you make, like the fact that I never even insinuated God is ever wrong. ludicrous :rapture:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's amazing how you jump to extremes. Like EVERY right wing institution is fine and dandy. Plus all the other jumps you make, like the fact that I never even insinuated God is ever wrong. ludicrous :rapture:

God is right, politically. That is the point. The opposite of right is both left and wrong. And maybe you didn't know, God is extreme.