Mizzou Racial Tension

Alate_One

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...cle_0c96f986-84c6-11e5-a38f-2bd0aab0bf74.html

Skepticism and suspicion based on what?

Here are some of the 8 demands:

Is that the training that Loftin talked about and they were skeptical and suspicious about? Is the only difference that it's run by a black board?
Maybe they just wanted more control over the process. I recall reading that most diversity training does little. I would probably want more hands on influence on it if I were in their position.

What % are they at now? Has there been any evidence of racial discrimination in hiring? Why should Wolfe agree to a 10% requirement? What is the 10% based on? What will they do if the next President doesn't agree to the 10?
They're at 2% Black faculty right now. Student body is about 8%. My college by contrast is 21% in our student body. Most HBCUs are around 60 -80% in the student body. There is a problem of relatively low supply of black PhDs but also a strong tendency in academia to hire someone like yourself and a desire in applicants to be with similar people. If you have a concerted, public effort to reach a higher percentage of black faculty you might get more buy in from applicants as well. Since they would be less likely to face the problem of being the only representative in their college or department.

Are they? I'm not so sure. They apparently weren't ok with the long term process that you said Wolfe had come up with.
They may look at it as there have been quite literally decades of inaction on this subject. People maintain the status quo when they're allowed to do so. Demanding something relatively quickly that is more noticeable I think is at least somewhat understandable.

I'm not saying there aren't problems on the MU campus and it does seem like Wolfe could/should have been more responsive, but I feel like this is a situation in which emotions are running hot and there is a group calling for heads and throwing out demands because they just want something done, not necessarily because the demands are reasonable.
It may have been overkill and symbolic but unfortunately humans in general tend not to respond to a problem seriously unless it's a crisis. By doing what they did the problems will be taken a lot more seriously in the future.

No movement is perfect they all make mistakes and these are young people that will continue to make them. But I think the rest of us should use this opportunity to respond to our fellow human beings with an attempt to understand their position.

Huckleberry

They're at 2% Black faculty right now. Student body is about 8%. My college by contrast is 21% in our student body. Most HBCUs are around 60 -80% in the student body. There is a problem of relatively low supply of black PhDs but also a strong tendency in academia to hire someone like yourself and a desire in applicants to be with similar people. If you have a concerted, public effort to reach a higher percentage of black faculty you might get more buy in from applicants as well. Since they would be less likely to face the problem of being the only representative in their college or department.
That's racist.
No movement is perfect they all make mistakes and these are young people that will continue to make them. But I think the rest of us should use this opportunity to respond to our fellow human beings with an attempt to understand their position.
I think we should use this opportunity to point out to our fellow human beings that they're being racist.

Huckleberry

No...That's prejudicial behavior. :nono:

Haven't the downtrodden suffered enough?!?!? :allsmile:
Sorry. I forgot to check my white privilege.

Wait, am I white? I dunno. Lemme check...

family_guy.jpg

Aww, crap. I'm kinda in between there...

OMG, racism is so confusing! :dizzy:

bybee

I've been reprimanded by a liberal friend who told me that the "Team" was protesting because the coach had made racist, derogatory comments to them about being black and nothing had been done about it. Is this true?

Huckleberry

I've been reprimanded by a liberal friend who told me that the "Team" was protesting because the coach had made racist, derogatory comments to them about being black and nothing had been done about it. Is this true?
As I understand it, the comment was made by some random passerby. What is the coach, or anyone else, supposed to do about that?

Oh, right. Censorship. Of...well, the whole planet, I guess.

No, wait. Safe spaces!

1002373-10207761361336432-1811231467032770714-n-2167616207.jpg

Darn, now I made a South Park reference. :p

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Not at Missouri, the football coach Gary Pinkel is buddy buddy with the student athletes and he supported the protests

PureX

That's a question I had too. These students wanted him to resign, but I'm not sure what exactly they wanted him to do in response to these racial incidents.

Is their anger towards him all based on this?
Well, it's clear he was doing nothing, and was planning on doing next to nothing in the future. Which would inevitably allow this abusive racist behavior to persist, and likely increase.

Also, he was astonishingly inarticulate in his response to questioning, which to my mind means he was not qualified to be a college president to begin with.

These days, colleges are being taken over and run by corporate "executives" who are only interested in increasing profits and cutting costs, while collecting massive salaries for themselves. It's happening all over the country, and the college experience and education are suffering as a result.

My bet is that this is what has been happening, here. And that because of the neglect of the college administration, the racism of the local culture has been allowed to rear it's ugly head once again. To the point of it threatening the safety and well-being of the students.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

Nah....Drunken frat boy who, as of yet, has remained unidentified. :plain:

musterion

I saw a report where that thug leftist instructor called for muscle to remove cameras because right nearby was a group of Ferguson-type professional protesters ginning things up. She did not want them caught on camera; that would have blown the whole "It all started over a youtube video" lie. Oh wait, I'm confusing my riots.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I saw a report where that thug leftist instructor called for muscle to remove cameras because right nearby was a group of Ferguson-type professional protesters ginning things up. She did not want them caught on camera; that would have blown the whole "It all started over a youtube video" lie. Oh wait, I'm confusing my riots.

:noid: Soul-less Gingers are everywhere.