Importance of Obedience - Law vs Faith

themuzicman

So, how did Paul identify sin? Did he just come up with the sins on his own?

Paul doesn't need to identify sin. We all have the knowledge of good and evil (Gen 3:22), and we all know what sin is. Indeed, I get the sense that this is what Paul is referring to when he speaks of the law.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It was his custom to go teach on the Sabbath, because that was his opportunity to teach the Jews.

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
(Acts 13:42)​

Did Paul ever teach Gentiles on the Sabbath?

On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. (Acts 13:44)​

JonahofAkron

Paul doesn't need to identify sin. We all have the knowledge of good and evil (Gen 3:22), and we all know what sin is. Indeed, I get the sense that this is what Paul is referring to when he speaks of the law.
I'm saying that not everyone does know what sin is. When he speaks of the law, he is speaking of the law. He is one of the most educated Jews I the world at that time. It would make sense that he would be chosen to speak to a people without the law.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
True. However, we are no longer under the Old Covenant law.

Which came first, the Sabbath or the law for ethnic Israel?

There remains therefore a rest (sabbatismos) for the people of God. (Hebrews 4:9)

Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
(Genesis 2:3)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Sabbath rest of the Old Covenant was fulfilled in Christ, when he fulfilled the requirements of the law in us (Rom 8:1-4), and Christ then became our Sabbath rest, which we enter into, not by observing a day, but rather by placing our faith in Him, because we are no longer under the Old Covenant law.

Just who do you think made the Sabbath?

Epoisses

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
(Acts 13:42)​

Did Paul ever teach Gentiles on the Sabbath?

On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. (Acts 13:44)​

Just because Paul did something on a particular doesn't mean we are commanded to keep it. Paul also took up a collection and preached on the first day but of course you won't mention that will you SDA? Adventists reject the resurrection of Christ simply because it took place on Sunday.

Epoisses

There remains therefore a rest (sabbatismos) for the people of God. (Hebrews 4:9)

Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

We enter the rest of God by faith not by becoming a Judaizing heretic like SDA

For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. Heb.4:3

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jamie's an undercover SDA here to shuck her Sabbath gospel on anyone stupid enough to fall for it.

Truth is, we no longer need to sacrifice a Passover lamb according to this passage (1 Corinthians 5:7-8). This is actually common knowledge among most Christians of today. The exact same principle therefore applies to all the Jewish feasts as they are indeed fulfilled already, just as the sacrifice of the Passover lamb was fulfilled. (adventistonline.com)​

The SDA group does not follow Jesus' instructions regarding Passover (1 Corinthians 11:23-26). I observe Passover and the Days of Unleavened Bread just as Paul did. So that let's me out on being an SDA.

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1)​

God's Truth

Just as long as we're clear that John isn't telling us to be subject to the Old Covenant law.

We are subject to the old with some changes.

See Hebrews 7:12.

Jesus didn't say to throw away all the old law.

Jesus said no more eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. No more stoning to death for adultery.

When Jesus came to give us the new law, he did not throw away everything in the old law, he fulfilled it.

That means everything that Jesus said came true when Jesus came, and, the old law was clarified and improved upon.

God's Truth

It is sin to fall into a false denomination, false teachings. Nowhere anywhere are we told we do not have to obey anything anymore.

God's Truth

It was his custom to go teach on the Sabbath, because that was his opportunity to teach the Jews.

However, Paul became all things to all people so that by all means, he might save some, including being under the law (even though he isn't under the law) to save those under the law.

There might even be a Scripture verse to this effect.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Acts 3:26 When God raised up his servant, he sent him first to you to bless you by turning each of you from your wicked ways."

Romans 2:9
There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;

God's Truth

God made the plan for salvation to be through Jesus---before God created anything.

Jesus came before the Sabbath Rest, and the Sabbath Rest was about Jesus.

You put a day up there with God the Father and Jesus Christ, and you fail to understand that the day was a shadow---even when God created the world!

God's Truth

Just because Paul did something on a particular doesn't mean we are commanded to keep it. Paul also took up a collection and preached on the first day but of course you won't mention that will you SDA? Adventists reject the resurrection of Christ simply because it took place on Sunday.

Days are nothing. The Sabbath day is nothing, and Sunday is nothing. All that matters is obeying Jesus all day every day.

God's Truth

Truth is, we no longer need to sacrifice a Passover lamb according to this passage (1 Corinthians 5:7-8). This is actually common knowledge among most Christians of today. The exact same principle therefore applies to all the Jewish feasts as they are indeed fulfilled already, just as the sacrifice of the Passover lamb was fulfilled. (adventistonline.com)​

The SDA group does not follow Jesus' instructions regarding Passover (1 Corinthians 11:23-26). I observe Passover and the Days of Unleavened Bread just as Paul did. So that let's me out on being an SDA.

Are you trying to become as a Jew so you could speak to them about their worshiping days is now fulfilled in Christ and useless without?

1 Corinthians 9:20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

Epoisses

Oh my bad! Jamie's an offshoot of SDA like WCG or some other craziness, even better. You keep your little feast days and Sabbath shadows and give the world your fallen from grace gospel. You won't have to answer to me some day but the big man upstairs! he doesn't take kindly to false gospels.