Importance of Obedience - Law vs Faith

themuzicman

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.
(Acts 13:42)​

Did Paul ever teach Gentiles on the Sabbath?

Looks like he did.

On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. (Acts 13:44)​

Look at that. Preaching to the Jews on the Sabbath created opportunities to preach to the Gentiles.

God's Truth

Shadows are nothing because Jesus has come, he was the one who was making the shadow.

Jesus came to earth and gave us new commands for the new covenant.

Then Jesus died and shed his blood for the new covenant.

Covenants have to be obeyed exactly.

Jesus doesn't teach the old purification/ceremonial works that were a teaching tool and shadow. Jesus fulfilled those works.

Jesus didn't come to earth to teach us how and when to get circumcised in the flesh, as Moses did. Jesus teaches us how to get circumcised in the heart. That is the ONLY circumcision that now matters.

Jesus didn't come to earth and teach us about sustaining from pork and shrimp. Jesus came and taught how all will be made clean through him.

...and more.

themuzicman

I'm saying that not everyone does know what sin is. When he speaks of the law, he is speaking of the law. He is one of the most educated Jews I the world at that time. It would make sense that he would be chosen to speak to a people without the law.

This is one of the issues in interpreting epistles. It's like hearing the middle of one side of a conversation. We don't know exactly what Paul meant by "law." It would appear that in various contexts, he uses it to refer to various things, and we need to use context to determine that meaning.

Paul clearly states that he is not subject to the law in 1 Corinthians 9.

God's Truth

This is one of the issues in interpreting epistles. It's like hearing the middle of one side of a conversation. We don't know exactly what Paul meant by "law." It would appear that in various contexts, he uses it to refer to various things, and we need to use context to determine that meaning.

We can know what Paul means by the law!

Paul is speaking about the old law WITH THE PURIFICATION/CEREMONIAL works. Those works are the works that separated Jews from Gentiles.

Epoisses

Awww there is the rub.

How do you know you have genuine faith? I will tell you how---by your right actions---your obedience to Jesus' teachings.

No by having the fruit of the Sprit you idiot. By their fruits ye will know them.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Gal. 5:22,23

God's Truth

The Jews did the purification/ceremonial works AS COMMANDED BY GOD TO MAKE THEMSELVES CLEAN. The Gentiles were UN clean because they did not do those things, they were DEAD in the UN circumcision of their flesh--thus ENEMIES OF GOD.

I have scripture references, want them?

God's Truth

No by having the fruit of the Sprit you idiot. By their fruits ye will know them.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. Gal. 5:22,23

You just showed us your rotten fruit.

You do not have full understanding, which cause you to blasphemy the teachings of Jesus.

JonahofAkron

I like the basis for your argument, but if it were true and our measure for sin was no longer Torah, why did Paul and the apostles continue to do it after Messiah was gone?

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Epoisses

You just showed us your rotten fruit.

You do not have full understanding, which cause you to blasphemy the teachings of Jesus.

You have zero understanding and are a dead works Christian who is a Christian in name only.

Like a child who keeps sucking on his dead works pacifier. The gospel is not about you or your obedience.

JonahofAkron

Thats also an interesting basis of argumentation because it defeats your own point. What law was Paul asking about when he discussed at any point? Context does usually indicates what he means, but ambiguity still exists and you are playing right into that ambiguity by claiming that. If I can't be sure, you can't be sure.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

God's Truth

You have zero understanding and are a dead works Christian who is a Christian in name only.

Like a child who keeps sucking on his dead works pacifier. The gospel is not about you or your obedience.

It is never, ever, a dead work to obey God's glorious words.

How could you ever get that obeying God is dead?