Importance of Obedience - Law vs Faith

God's Truth

Rom 5:19 (AKJV/PCE)
(5:19) For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Jesus obeyed and that means we have someone to obey.

Jesus said he obeyed and remain in His Father's love and we are to obey to remain in Jesus' love. See John 15:10.

Paul says people obeyed and TO KEEP OBEYING!

Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,

themuzicman

Jesus came first for the lost sheep of Israel.

Matthew 15:24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself."

That doesn't answer the question. Were the people of Nineveh saved because they repented?

Right Divider

Body part
Works still true today.
Titus 3:1-8 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, (3:2) To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, [but] gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. (3:3) For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, [and] hating one another. (3:4) But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, (3:5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (3:6) Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; (3:7) That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (3:8) [This is] a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Good works after receiving the gift of salvation, yes.

God's Truth

That doesn't answer the question. Were the people of Nineveh saved because they repented?

Of course they were saved because they obeyed and repented.

That is the way anyone is saved.

We are saved by coming to God through Jesus Christ and repenting to God through Jesus.

God's Truth

Titus 3:1-8 (AKJV/PCE)
(3:1) Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, (3:2) To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, [but] gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men. (3:3) For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, [and] hating one another. (3:4) But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, (3:5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; (3:6) Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; (3:7) That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. (3:8) [This is] a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.

Good works after receiving the gift of salvation, yes.

The works of righteousness that no longer saved are the purification/ceremonial works such as circumcision, the observance of special days, the adherence of a special diet; various external washings and the sacrifice of animals.

THOSE are the works of righteousness that no longer save.

Think about it harder. Why do people misunderstand Paul if not about that?

2 Peter 3:16, 17.

themuzicman

Of course they were saved because they obeyed and repented.

That is the way anyone is saved.

We are saved by coming to God through Jesus Christ and repenting to God through Jesus.

There you go. Jesus came to die for more than just the lost sheep of Israel.

Right Divider

Body part
The works of righteousness that no longer saved are the purification/ceremonial works such as circumcision, the observance of special days, the adherence of a special diet; various external washings and the sacrifice of animals.

THOSE are the works of righteousness that no longer save.

Think about it harder. Why do people misunderstand Paul if not about that?

2 Peter 3:16, 17.
So you think that God once saved by working ceremonies?

You need to learn.

God's Truth

So you think that God once saved by working ceremonies?

You need to learn.

The people who came into God's covenant had to do those things.

They had a relationship with God because they did those things.

Romans 11:6 King James Bible
And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

See, the old law was NOT based on faith it was based on those purification/ceremonial works.

Galatians 3:12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, "The person who does these things will live by them."

Those are the works that it is no longer based on.

The Gentiles who did NOT do those works to atone for their sins---they were excluded and without God because they did not do those works.

Ephesians 2:12 remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.

Paul would not ever say we were saved by faith and no obedience. The no works Paul was speaking of are the ceremonial works.

People misunderstand Paul into thinking that is the secret to salvation, when in fact not doing what Jesus says to get in him that is hindering people from being saved.

iamaberean

There are two different types of work (obedience to). Those of the law and those of the Spirit.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

The fruits of the Spirit are not within our flesh, and we must be aware at all times that our flesh will try to tear us away from God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

1Co 3:13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
1Co 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
1Co 3:17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

iamaberean

There you go. Jesus came to die for more than just the lost sheep of Israel.

Jesus came during the age of law, he was only concerned about his sheep as he walked on this earth. After he was crucified it changed to 'whosoever will'.
Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.