GUNS!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Grandpa's Gun

Grandpa's Gun

My grandpa passed away last year at the age of 92. I inherited his model 1898 .30-40 Krag. It is still in decent condition (I shot it recently), but, as you can see, it has clearly been sporterized.

So, your thoughts. Should I have a gunsmith repair it or leave it as is. Pros and cons of both?

LoneStar

My grandpa passed away last year at the age of 92. I inherited his model 1898 .30-40 Krag. It is still in decent condition (I shot it recently), but, as you can see, it has clearly been sporterized.

So, your thoughts. Should I have a gunsmith repair it or leave it as is. Pros and cons of both?
i'm not one for holding on to a gun for memorabilia. If it doesn't work properly, I won't use it. And if I don't use it, I won't keep it. It is just a dust collector. If you are into memorabilia, leave it as it is. And if you ever decide to sell it, it will bring more by a collector. If it is a gun you need to use, or want to use, have it repaired.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
i'm not one for holding on to a gun for memorabilia. If it doesn't work properly, I won't use it. And if I don't use it, I won't keep it. It is just a dust collector. If you are into memorabilia, leave it as it is. And if you ever decide to sell it, it will bring more by a collector. If it is a gun you need to use, or want to use, have it repaired.

It is in workable condition, but I wouldn't say I need it or use it regularly. More sentimental I suppose. He would often carry it when we were hunting, but I still use my Winchester .30-30 for that.

Something to stew over. I appreciate that.

LoneStar

It is in workable condition, but I wouldn't say I need it or use it regularly. More sentimental I suppose. He would often carry it when we were hunting, but I still use my Winchester .30-30 for that.

Something to stew over. I appreciate that.
Sentimentalism aside, there are practical pros to hang on to it depending on your outlook of things. It is unregistered and would be a good choice for a throw away gun, if you catch my drift. If not, ignore what i just said.

The sentimental value will depend on the person. There was a time I kept old guns handed down through family. But any newer gun I had was always the choice of our younger generation. I knew if the older guns were ever handed down to them, they would rarely, if ever, be used. They would basically be just another nicknack that stayed in the drawer or closet. So I traded or sold them.

Good luck in your decision, sir.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was tired of tightening the slotted grip screws on the frame, so I switched them out with hex head screws from Wilson Combat. The slotted ones are very old school. Very old. They are slotted so a soldier can use a case to tighten the screw that loosens up with recoil.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Speaking of the Germans.....Machine Gun 42 is still in action.

MG42.JPG

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The West Virginia governor vetoed a law that was written saying the 2nd Amendment is the law of the land, removing "permits" when the people already have one. The Legislature overrode the veto in both chambers making it their law.

Of course the wannnabe dictator governor says it is unsafe that the people can now protect themselves from those who break the law.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Obama Supreme Court nominee is in favor of repealing the 2nd amendment. He is hard core against liberty. You should have known this without research. You should know that the News is not honest saying he is moderate. He was on the dissenting side in appellate court with DC vs Heller on the right to have a gun in your home. He opposed it.