Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
4ad58345c7b17227aaf3b915a48aea33--thomas-jefferson-quotes-bears.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A revisit of the Miami Dade shooting. The same can be done with the North Hollywood. You could probably say they did learn, as some went to the local gun store and picked up AR15s for use during the fight.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The last time I drew my 1911 for defense, here's how I held it.

I had my finger in the trigger guard. But I kept the thumb safety engaged. I would have had to disengage the thumb safety to fire, but I wanted to try it this way in a potential live fire situation, just to see if I felt more in control, and I was surprised to feel that I did. Of course I didn't fire or even disengage the thumb safety, but I felt more natural having the gun "roostered" 'n locked, than having the thumb safety already disengaged, with my finger outside the trigger guard. When I have to fire I have to quickly get my finger on the trigger, inside the trigger guard, and while I've never not been able to do this, it's felt a little harrowing, so that's why I tried it this other way, so my finger's already in there. I'm going to try it again next opportunity.

Any thoughts?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a .30-40 Krag that I inherited from my grandfather when he passed a few years ago. U.S. Springfield Armory. 1898. It's in remarkably good condition for its age. The thing that's always kinda bugged me is that it was sporterized. My grandfather picked it up in the Marshall Islands in WWII. HE didn't have it sporterized...he came by it that way.

I have thought about having it restored, but I always inevitably talk myself out of it.

My question for y'all:

Should I have it restored?

One man I met suggested that it may have actually been sporterized originally (shortly after factory production) and may not have been a recent thing. Anyone have any information on this?

I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to have it reversed. Not to mention the money and so forth.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
that is a very hungry bobcat in a very warm place.
I think you might be right. The distortion in the eyes (that NW to SE slant) led me to imagine a long snout, and to therefore think "canine," but without that distortion, I don't think I would have been so quick to make that conclusion. I also figured, based on the supposed presence of a long snout, that a tail is simply not in view in this pic, but if it's a cat then for sure it may not be there at all.

2003cobra

So, this is my first gun thread...:noid:

In my absence, what have I missed, gun-wise? Anyone bought any new toys? Any stories to share?

(Anti-gunners keep out!! This is not the thread for you.)
I have a variety, but my go-to weapon is a 357 magnum Dan Wesson with interchangeable barrels. I prefer the wheel guns.

My 108-year-old Argentina Mauser carbine kicks like a mule.

And my Winchester M-1 Carbine is a piece of history.

There are others scattered around the house.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a variety, but my go-to weapon is a 357 magnum Dan Wesson with interchangeable barrels. I prefer the wheel guns.

My 108-year-old Argentina Mauser carbine kicks like a mule.

And my Winchester M-1 Carbine is a piece of history.

There are others scattered around the house.

How does a Winchester Carbine differ from a Sharps Carbine? Just curious. I am a fan of Winchesters in general, but I wasn't aware that they manufactured a Carbine.

2003cobra

How does a Winchester Carbine differ from a Sharps Carbine? Just curious. I am a fan of Winchesters in general, but I wasn't aware that they manufactured a Carbine.

There were many manufacturers of the M-1 Carbine during WWII, including GM, IBM, and the Rock-Ola juke box company. I think the Winchester falls in the best end of the manufacturers. Mine was made in 1944.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There were many manufacturers of the M-1 Carbine during WWII, including GM, IBM, and the Rock-Ola juke box company. I think the Winchester falls in the best end of the manufacturers. Mine was made in 1944.

Ah, ok...I was thinking older. I believe Sharps only manufactured carbines up until about 1880.

2003cobra

Ah, ok...I was thinking older. I believe Sharps only manufactured carbines up until about 1880.

There was a big gun show in Las Vegas in the past few days.

I had the opportunity to shoot a few things during my time in the military, including a 105mm Howitzer, 81mm mortar, 50-caliber machine gun mounted on a light tank, 40mm grenade launcher, and the M-60 machine gun — plus the standard issue weapons.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
These are the 2 best AR pattern rifle choices, when you are not taking a standard cartridge. Standard is either 5.56, or 7.62x51.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
These are the 2 best AR pattern rifle choices, when you are not taking a standard cartridge. Standard is either 5.56, or 7.62x51.