GUNS!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I have never shot anything like that, but I can tell you that if load an average .22 rifle with subsonic ammo it is not very loud.

s7_216769_999_01

I may just have to but some of that to try out in my new pea shooter!

I wonder if that would have enough kick to cycle my semi-auto.

It reminds me of when I bought a box of 22 shot shells twenty years ago. A foot from the barrel and it would shred the target. Ten feet away and half the shot was off target. From thirty feet, nothing hit the target.

I used up the rest of the box shooting bees. :)

When I have a question about Indiana gun laws, I start at the
IN gun owners forum. Those guys never let me down! Seem like within an hour or so someone on the forum has tracked down the info for me and posted links to the governing statute and often times links to specific court rulings on the matter.

My guess is that there is a similar forum specific to NY State.
Here is one you can check out...
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/
I will be interested to hear if you find a good one, or if Indiana is just blessed in this area.

Looks like there's no way around it. :(

This bit of dialogue at that site made me lol :chuckle:

Karl said:
Buying "Preban" UZI pistol...
I purchased an IMI/Action Arms UZI pistol from an out of state dealer and had it shipped to a NYS FFL.

The NYS dealer is questioning whether the gun is actually pre-ban and wants me to prove it.
Action Arms quit importing the UZI pistol in 1993, according to the Blue Book of Gun Values, and Action Arms later went out of business.

How the hell do I "prove" that the gun is pre-ban? I have not been able to locate any serial number lists, probably because these guns are all pre-ban...

Suggestions welcomed...

Karl

HD said:
I see a problem with the whole topic at hand here..

To be an assault weapon and therefore illegal in NY state, the pistol must be:
1. Semiautomatic
2. Manufactured after September 14, 1994
3. Has two or more of the following:

•A magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
•A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
•A barrel shroud
•A weight of more than 50 ounces

Are there threads under that cap on the barrel? Does it weigh more than 50 oz. ? It appears those are the only two characteristics it MIGHT have. If either of those are a no, then it doesn't make any difference. Remember, magazines are a completely separate section of law. If it's in question if the magazine is pre-ban, worst case scenario you just don't take the magazine and get other mags. Uzi mags are easily found pre-ban and generally inexpensive.

BK said:
HD, looks like you forgot to turn the page in the ol' rule book. There are a few more restrictions you missed:

To be an assault weapon and therefore illegal in NY state, the pistol must be:
1. Semiautomatic
2. Manufactured after September 14, 1994
3. Has two or more of the following:

•A magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
•A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer
•A barrel shroud
•A weight of more than 50 ounces
•A color that is black
•A thing that goes up
•A general appearance that is scary
•A history of having appeared in an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie

I'm so happy that NYS doesn't let us own scary looking guns.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I wonder if that would have enough kick to cycle my semi-auto.
Most .22 lr is in the 40 grain or less range. If I understand correctly, the reason these are sub sonic is because the bullets weigh more. If anything there should be more kick.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Most .22 lr is in the 40 grain or less range. If I understand correctly, the reason these are sub sonic is because the bullets weigh more. If anything there should be more kick.

Looks like the only exception to NYS law requiring mags no greater than 10 rounds is a tubular magazine.

:think: I wonder if I could rig a coil of refrigeration tubing to feed a 10/22.

Something like this, only coiled

artubemag.jpg

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like the only exception to NYS law requiring mags no greater than 10 rounds is a tubular magazine.

that is fun to think about, but it would probably be more practical to get good at feeding a Marlin 60 with a speed loader. This one has 8, 15 round chambers!

GNS-120.jpg

images

Christ's Word

Loading subsonics is an important skill set that may become more important in the coming months. So I thought I would give some here a leg up on how to do it.

1. For 7.62x51 and 5.56 ammo start with Trailboss Powder.

2. Use a small amount of cotton very lightly compressed under the bullet.

3. Never shoot your FIRST test loads with the suppressor attached to the barrel. Make sure your bullets are spin stabilized and cutting round holes in the target at 100 yards before attaching your suppressor.

4. Make sure that the high end of your velocity extreme spread is less than 1040 feet per second, so that you do not get a supersonic crack in cold weather.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

artubemag.jpg

So, if I understand correctly you are now even more limited than you were a few days ago.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Loading subsonics is an important skill set that may become more important in the coming months. So I thought I would give some here a leg up on how to do it.

1. For 7.62x51 and 5.56 ammo start with Trailboss Powder.

2. Use a small amount of cotton very lightly compressed under the bullet.

3. Never shoot your FIRST test loads with the suppressor attached to the barrel. Make sure your bullets are spin stabilized and cutting round holes in the target at 100 yards before attaching your suppressor.

4. Make sure that the high end of your velocity extreme spread is less than 1040 feet per second, so that you do not get a supersonic crack in cold weather.
What is the importance of the cotton?

I have read a bit about loading sub sonic rounds for pistol calibers but I don't own a rifle bigger than a .22 so loading for titles has never been on my radar screen.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
So, if I understand correctly you are now even more limited than you were a few days ago.

Yep, we're only allowed seven bullets in a clip

So if I go out and buy a 10/22, I can't buy the factory ten round clip that comes with it because that's just become a "high capacity mag".

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep, we're only allowed seven bullets in a clip

So if I go out and buy a 10/22, I can't buy the factory ten round clip that comes with it because that's just become a "high capacity mag".

I haven't read a lot yet. Can you still have tube mags that are bigger. Or will the makers of tube fed. 22s have to make smaller tubes if they want to sell the gun in NY?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did I read correctly that you won't be able to buy semi auto pistols with removable mags at all?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I haven't read a lot yet. Can you still have tube mags that are bigger. Or will the makers of tube fed. 22s have to make smaller tubes if they want to sell the gun in NY?

No, as far as I can tell it only applies to removable magazines

Did I read correctly that you won't be able to buy semi auto pistols with removable mags at all?

Hadn't heard that

better check the chatter on that NYS site I was on the other day

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Looks like they had to pass this law before they could understand what was in it.

Just like BammyCare

Nobody seems to know what the law actually aplies to. There's already a a move to repeal it.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looks like they had to pass this law before they could understand what was in it.

Just like BammyCare

Nobody seems to know what the law actually aplies to. There's already a a move to repeal it.

That would be really cool, but a repeal would be vetoed

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the libs will have a hard time battling guns themselves.

I think they will go after ammunition. Stricter laws...highter taxes...etc.

What good is a firearm if you can't fire it?

Obama urges new restrictions on assault weapons, magazines as part of gun control plan

Published January 16, 2013
FoxNews.com

President Obama called Wednesday for a renewal of the assault-weapons ban and a 10-round limit on magazines, as part of a comprehensive plan to curb gun violence that includes 23 steps he would take without congressional action.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-magazines-as-part-gun-control/#ixzz2I9x76REb

The first thing Congress should do is impeach Attorney General Holder for trafficking guns to Mexico. But this president has a blind spot with respect to Eric Holder.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the libs will have a hard time battling guns themselves.

I think they will go after ammunition. Stricter laws...highter taxes...etc.

What good is a firearm if you can't fire it?

I can make all the ammo I will ever need!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Christ's Word

What is the importance of the cotton?

I have read a bit about loading sub sonic rounds for pistol calibers but I don't own a rifle bigger than a .22 so loading for titles has never been on my radar screen.

The cotton, when lightly compressed, controls the position of the powder in the case relative to the primer, which allows for more consistent ignition which results in more consistent velocity.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
The cotton, when lightly compressed, controls the position of the powder in the case relative to the primer, which allows for more consistent ignition which results in more consistent velocity.

I've seen cowboy action rounds loaded so light that they bounced off of cardboard :) (no joke) some guys load them extremely light so they dont kick and slow them down.