GUNS!

Thunder's Muse

May I ask a question?

Having never even held a gun, I have no idea about these things... but, there has been a massive increase in shootings in Adelaide of late and I was wondering about the kick-back from guns...

Do they all have a kick-back? If you had no experience firing a weapon, how difficult would the kick-back make shooting accurately? I assume that guns held to the shoulder would cause bruising but what about a hand gun? Can that cause damage to the forearm from the kick-back?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Do they all have a kick-back? If you had no experience firing a weapon, how difficult would the kick-back make shooting accurately? I assume that guns held to the shoulder would cause bruising but what about a hand gun? Can that cause damage to the forearm from the kick-back?

All guns have recoil (kick back) to a degree, in some of the smaller calibers it is negligible depending on how sensitive the shooter is. Most people relate to recoil via pain, bruising, the feeling the weapon will jump out of their grip but that can be remedied through proper position and the manner one holds the weapon, as well as some weapons now have been designed to reduce the recoil but not all of them.

Best thing to do is simply find a gun dealer with a range and try out various calibers. Just keep in mind as your ability/training advances you will be able to deal with larger calibers to a point depending on your personal comfort level.

Thunder's Muse

All guns have recoil (kick back) to a degree, in some of the smaller calibers it is negligible depending on how sensitive the shooter is. Most people relate to recoil via pain, bruising, the feeling the weapon will jump out of their grip but that can be remedied through proper position and the manner one holds the weapon, as well as some weapons now have been designed to reduce the recoil but not all of them.

Best thing to do is simply find a gun dealer with a range and try out various calibers. Just keep in mind as your ability/training advances you will be able to deal with larger calibers to a point depending on your personal comfort level.

Thanks Lightbringer :)

Just my curiosity about how it all works, really.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
One of my favorite quotes. :)

annie+oakley.jpg

Choleric

Recently bought my first semi-auto pistol. Picked up a S&W M&P 40 compact. Nice gun. Feels good, no problems shooting it and perfect for conceal carry. Holds 10+1. Should be plenty in the event I ever need it. :)

Of Course, it costs a fortune to shoot but its nice to look at :plain:

Last edited:

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Recently bought my first semi-auto pistol. Picked up a S&W M&P 40 compact. Nice gun. Feels good, no problems shooting it and perfect for conceal carry. Holds 10+1. Should be plenty in the event I ever need it. :)

:chuckle: Try feeding a 50 caliber rifle. :shocked:

If you can afford to buy 500 rds at a time, it is much cheaper to shoot. You should only have to run a box or two of hollowpoints to assure reliability before switching to "cheaper" flat points. I like the .40 S&W caliber round, as does my wife.

Police on Home Invasion: "You're on Your Own"

Mar 06, 2013 08:33 AM EST

Project Veritas is out with a damning video showing police officers from multiple departments saying "you're on your own" when it comes to home invasions. The video focuses on New Jersey and New York, where it is nearly impossible to obtain a firearm. In New Jersey you must obtain a permit to purchase a Biden approved shotgun. Some officers are seen offering advice about how to fight off an intruder: throw bleach, yell, hide with your cell phone and call the police, etc. Officers steered clear from suggesting the man in the video obtain a firearm to protect himself, his family and his property. The video also points out painfully long response times, sometimes over 30 minutes, of many police departments.

Read more at: http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...e-on-home-invasion-youre-on-your-own-n1527007

"You're on Your Own"

Just plain old common sense!
My wife's cousin used to live in an area of St. Louis that the police wouldn't even drive down their block for a 911 call. That's a fact because her husband was the victim of armed robbery in front of their house. While waiting for the police to show up she saw a police car turn around at the start of their block and leave.

We are definitely on our own. My wife and I live outside of a small town in a subdivision and it still takes police about 20 minutes to respond. It's somewhat of a "redneck" area without the negative stereotypes liberals like to portray it as.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
If you can afford to buy 500 rds at a time, it is much cheaper to shoot. You should only have to run a box or two of hollowpoints to assure reliability before switching to "cheaper" flat points. I like the .40 S&W caliber round, as does my wife.

Bulk is the only way to buy ammo depending on your shooting schedual, for some 500 rounds could be a years supply, to others it is a 2 day training session, either way you will save bucks.

The purchasing of a 20 round box is for specialty rounds that are not for range shooting (self defense ammo) but more as a way to test the ammo and see if they actually perform as advertised and to see how my weapons digest it before adding it to my list of approved ammo.

TomO is the go to guy for advice on specialty ammo!

Bulk is the only way to buy ammo depending on your shooting schedual, for some 500 rounds could be a years supply, to others it is a 2 day training session, either way you will save bucks.

The purchasing of a 20 round box is for specialty rounds that are not for range shooting (self defense ammo) but more as a way to test the ammo and see if they actually perform as advertised and to see how my weapons digest it before adding it to my list of approved ammo.

TomO is the go to guy for advice on specialty ammo!
For the last 20 years or so, I've been relying on Sanow and Marshall, authors of the book Handgun Stopping Power.

http://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Stopping-Power-Definitive-Study/dp/0873646533

I also like to use what certain police and government agencies use. They spend a lot of money on equipment. I highly recommend the following site also. The people I work with swear by, not at his testing.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

I'm sure TomO is already familiar with these resources.

One last thing, if you and a buddy share a common caliber like .223, you may be able to split a bulk order between you.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
That is crazy!

:plain: I love New Jersey...I lived a large part of my formative years there, still have family there and even though I love the people, weather, and the wide variety of surroundings which are available in that small state....I absolutely hate :burnlib: their government.

Stupidity like this is one of the main reasons I don't live there. :idunno:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I'm sure TomO is already familiar with these resources.

Yup...All good stuff IMHO. :)

...and I buy in bulk myself for general practice. Whatever is cheap and will cycle without gumming things up too bad.

Defense ammo is for....Well, defense. :plain:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The list is growing.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy...-makers-refusing-sales-govt-firearms-equality

On February 22, "Right Views" reported that a growing number of firearm companies have suspended the sale of guns to states, counties, cities and municipalities that restrict their citizens' rights to own them.

In just two weeks, the number of companies participating in what has been named the "Firearms Equality Movement," has more than tripled from 34 companies to 118.

The Police Loophole lists every company and links to the statements that each has released regarding their new policies.

Wilson Combat, a custom pistol manufacturer located in Berryville, Arkansas, joined the movement on February 28 stating the following:

"Wilson Combat will no longer provide any products or services to any State Government imposing legislation that infringes on the second amendment rights of its law abiding citizens. This includes any Law Enforcement Department, Law Enforcement Officers, or any State Government Entity or Employee of such an entity. This also applies to any local municipality imposing such infringements."

Wilson Combat is a heavy hitter. Good to know...