GUNS!

The Berean

I love that story!

I know nothing about muskets. Do you know what kind of musket he has in his hands?

WVUMascot.jpg

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Kentucky Flintlock 1750-1850?

It's a caplock (percussion) which puts it around 1810? but they werent very common until later. They were converted from flintlocks a lot, so the rifle itself ( I doubt highly that it is a musket ) could be older.

Added in edit, Im talking about "style" also, I seriously doubt that rifle is roughly 200 years old :)

I didnt look up a date for percussion cap, thats from memory and probably off by a ways. I read something somewhere about guns of the rocky mountain fur trade during the rendezvous era. :)

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Looking at his picture it looks like he has everything to shoot it for real :)
He has a powder horn, a measuring horn hanging next to it, a short starter on his bag's shoulder strap, a capper hanging above his bag. It's a real rig anyways, looks just like the guys I used to shoot with. The hat would get him teased but it's ok.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't been able to find anything about that actual rifle. Not sure if it's an antique or a reproduction. Certainly the University football program could afford an antique so it wouldn't surprise me.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
It looks way too nice to be 200 years old, and if it was, in that good of shape it would be in a museum or private collection, no way a mascot goofball would be running around with it :)

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
It's a caplock (percussion) which puts it around 1810? but they werent very common until later. They were converted from flintlocks a lot, so the rifle itself ( I doubt highly that it is a musket ) could be older.

Added in edit, Im talking about "style" also, I seriously doubt that rifle is roughly 200 years old :)

I didnt look up a date for percussion cap, thats from memory and probably off by a ways. I read something somewhere about guns of the rocky mountain fur trade during the rendezvous era. :)

"its a caplock" you're right I should have looked closer.

And I agree, I doubt its 200 years old, if it was I'm not sure any one would be carrying it into the field, if for no other reason than it being a priceless bit of history!

I looked up "percussion cap" and found that that was in the era of 1839/1842 (good memory on your part) so my guess was in the ball park, maybe a real big ball park, but still.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
"its a caplock" you're right I should have looked closer.

And I agree, I doubt its 200 years old, if it was I'm not sure any one would be carrying it into the field, if for no other reason than it being a priceless bit of history!

I looked up "percussion cap" and found that that was in the era of 1839/1842 (good memory on your part) so my guess was in the ball park, maybe a real big ball park, but still.

Yeah, that sounds right, my understanding is it was invented early around 1810 but not common till the end of the heavy fur trade, or in the California gold rush period. People use them at reenactments all the time and nobody makes a fuss about it.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Yeah, that sounds right, my understanding is it was invented early around 1810 but not common till the end of the heavy fur trade, or in the California gold rush period. People use them at reenactments all the time and nobody makes a fuss about it.

They use 200 year old rifles in reenactments? OK?

I wouldn't, it would make me feel pretty bad if something happened to one that would mare or disable it. I might shoot it once in awhile under controlled conditions.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
http://www.shotgunnews.com/2012/11/09/lwrci-uciw-six8-review/

Lowering the carbine he flashed me a grin and stuttered, “You’ve got to be joking…” before getting back to work. Yes Virginia, LWRCI’s 6.8x43mm rifle is not only shockingly smooth shooting but it also packs an impressive punch. The reaction of the steel targets to the 90-grain slug was ample proof this was no mundane 5.56x45mm.

No, this was an honest-to-God intermediate cartridge developed specifically to provide an increase in terminal performance and penetration. It not only accomplishes its intended mission, but does it with Steve McQueen style.

In my personal opinion the 6.8x43mm Rem. Special Purpose Cartridge (SPC) is one of the great cartridges of our time. This may surprise you, as I’m well known as an outspoken advocate of the 6.5mm Grendel.​

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
$500 Hi Point carbine!

$500 Hi Point carbine!

I own a couple of Hi Points. A .45 handgun and a 9mm carbine and I sort of like them so I check what they are selling for on gunbroker, from time to time. Today I watched a 995 with no special features sell for $510.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323923192

I bought my 995 with an ATI stock and red dot scope two years ago for $200! I also talked to a guy on the Hi Point forum, who just sold his used 995 configured exactly like mine on GB for $450!

For $450 I could buy A Maverick 88 plus another Hi Point pistol. Maybe even upgrade to a Kel Tec

or

I could get that "cowboy action" lever gun I have wanted for so long! Bud's guns has the Rossi 1892 clone in 357, .44 magnum or .45 LC for $423 with free shipping!

56500.jpg

Decisions decisions!

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I own a couple of Hi Points. A .45 handgun and a 9mm carbine and I sort of like them so I check what they are selling for on gunbroker, from time to time. Today I watched a 995 with no special features sell for $510.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323923192

I bought my 995 with an ATI stock and red dot scope two years ago for $200! I also talked to a guy on the Hi Point forum, who just sold his used 995 configured exactly like mine on GB for $450!

For $450 I could buy A Maverick 88 plus another Hi Point pistol. Maybe even upgrade to a Kel Tec

or

I could get that "cowboy action" lever gun I have wanted for so long! Bud's guns has the Rossi 1892 clone in 357, .44 magnum or .45 LC for $423 with free shipping!

56500.jpg

Decisions decisions!

Looks cool.

I have a .45lc "yellowboy" 66' Winchester Cimarron replica, love it. It's a carbine, I kinda' wish is was the longer version but it's cool. Fun to shoot, not so fun to clean after black powder rounds (gums it up) but worth it. Have to spray it with "blacksolve" between stages or it wont feed right sometimes.

Ed Walton

The lease we’re with this year has too many members; the club is new and the property is covered in deer-hunters. I expect the pressure to ease some next year. We do have pigs and coyotes. I’ve been searching the web about a weapon for coyotes. I so much enjoy the rifle / cartridge decision game. But this winter I do intend to hunt coyotes with a new weapon.

Dose anyone know if they keep track of firearm related websites visited; if they do I’m in Trouble.