Big Dave all up in this piece

Big Dave

I guess it's just like that when you have a pantheon. Sort of like how the various ancient Greek cities tended to have different patron deities. Everybody's got their favorites.

Amongst the Nordic lot, I especially like Balder (who doesn't?) and Tyr. Thor too. I like Shiva best amongst the Hindu gods. None of the Greco-Roman gods really impress me, for some reason. Too human, I guess.

BTW, welcome to TOL.

How funny! I too do not care for Greco-Roman mythology. Poor Baldr, and even more pitiful Hodr, unwittingly killing his own brother. Thor was the most popular God to the Pagan Germanics and Nordics, as he was the "Joe Everyman's God" (the God of farmers and laborers). Celtic mythology is very dear to me, as my maternal grandparents (RIP) were from County Fermanagh (now, and when they were there also, Northern Ireland). I grew up on the "bits and pieces" of the "old stories" they knew.

Levolor

OK, first and foremost, I am not a "Pinko Commie" (lol!). I'm actually a Centrist, but "Pinko Commie" is too funny to pass up.

Well, as the screen name would indicate, I'm Dave...and I'm big (6'0 tall, about 250lbs). I am a divorced father of two (fraternal twin daughters), though my ex-wife and I are best friends (we still have family meals and family days together). Most people that meet me would describe me as "boring but good natured". It takes quite a bit to "rile me up", unless one is a bona fide scumbag (see below).

It's difficult to describe my religious beliefs. Somewhat of a mixture between Shamanism and Paganism, except I do not enter (or attempt to enter) trance-like states (for any reason), and I also do not have a patron/god/goddess (though I do not discount that higher beings may in all likelihood exist). I believe in ghosts and earthbound spirits, whether benevolent, neutral, or malevolent (Spiritualism), as well as that all living things have a soul/spirit (Animism).

Let it be known, I am not here to start fights. While the inevitable debate will, of course, happen, it is not my goal. I am infatuated with Religion/Mythology, but not the "what people believe", but the "why people believe". I assure any reader I am not here to try and change/alter another's religious belief system (or lack thereof). While I do not worship the Abrahamic God, but I see no harm in it if one does. My daughters are being raised Christian, as their mother is devout (Pentecostal). Before our children were even conceived, I agreed that they would be raised in her faith. When I have them (every weekend and often random days throughout the month), we pray at meals, as they do at her house. They love Jesus, and there isn't enough money in the world for me to ever take that joy from them.

As mentioned above, I am politically a Centrist. Not terribly uncommon for one person to find me too liberal, and another to find me too conservative. It is in this arena I will likely engage in more debate, whereas in religious matters I will likely ask more questions (and don't worry, they aren't trick/trap questions).

Now, to the scumbags lol. As long as one is not a pedophile, sex offender, child abuser, animal abuser, someone who abuses/exploits the elderly or vulnerable, or a bully (especially a RIP Troll), we should get along fine. Understand I have been in the past (and still to a degree am) involved in activism (both offline and online) against those types. Do understand, also, that I am fully aware of the difference between spanking and child abuse.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know the lot of you!

Glad to have you here!

Levolor

One other thing while I think about it, Big Dave, you sound like a righteous man and Jesus said he did not come to call the righteous to repentance.

You're off the hook in terms of Christianity.

Live in peace.

:thumb:

Dave, you will quickly come to know those who wish for communication also and those who wish to judge.

Levolor

I do not necessarily speak of overt and celebratory worship of Satan, which covens often participate in . . .

A soul serves either one of only two masters: God or Satan.

Those who serve God, worship Him according to His will and word.

Those who serve Satan, are enslaved to serving wickedness, sin & death.

It is impossible to be held in bondage to serving Satan, and attempt to fight evil, for all "scumbags" are fellow servants of the devil.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

Levolor

I have no idea what Calvinism is about or what it teaches. I never even heard the term until I came to this forum.

Glad that you made this clarification. I'd never seen you be Calvinistic. (Not that there is 'always' a problem with that.)

Big Dave

Thank you so much, Levelor. It's a nice place, here, so far from I've seen. I'll feel it out some more, and if I continue to like it, I will likely upgrade my membership.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Well, I thank you. I must confess, I have never had that said to me before by a Christian. I saw below that your were referred to as a Calvinist. I did some reading on Calvinism, and now I see why you said what you said.

Any Reformed Christian ("Calvinist") will totally reject this message from Jamie.

One Eyed Jack

Thank you so much, Levelor. It's a nice place, here, so far from I've seen. I'll feel it out some more, and if I continue to like it, I will likely upgrade my membership.

I think you'll like it here. We're a pretty mixed bag, and I think you'll fit right in.

Lon

Well, I thank you. I must confess, I have never had that said to me before by a Christian. I saw below that your were referred to as a Calvinist. I did some reading on Calvinism, and now I see why you said what you said.
She isn't one, though she may have a few of those ideas. She is a unitarian (Jesus is not God).

IMJerusha

This may shock and bother you, but if pedos have a shot at heaven, I want no part of it. That is one of the biggest "roadblocks" in my life when it comes to ever embracing Christianity, is that it teaches that pedophiles and rapists can still be saved. I am not coming down on you or any Christian for believing that, as none of you wrote the Bible, and are merely following the teachings of your faith.

Of course pedophiles and rapists can come to the faith. They can't remain as such, however. That's what repentance is all about...turning away from sin. Whatever happened to you or someone you loved, it's the hardest thing to forgive. As a victim of both, I really understand your feelings and the struggle to forgive. The fact is, however, that you're a sinner just like the rest of us, including the pedophile and rapist. I know that doesn't sit well and I don't mean for you to be offended. It's just the way it is. It's not God's fault that sin exists in our world, it's our fault, but God has provided a Way for us to be with Him again. Please reconsider that Way.

And welcome to TOL! :)

Christ's Word

Of course pedophiles and rapists can come to the faith.

Was at an industry conference about 4 months ago, and participated in a round table discussion on sex offenders. Not a single psychologist could name one patient or client of theirs that was a repeated sex offender that had changed their ways or come to faith and truly repented. You are an idiot. Your ways are not God's ways, and you are an embarrassment to Christ's principles and God's laws.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Expanding consciousness......

Expanding consciousness......

Big Dave to Nang:

That is very much a Theological questions. Rabinnical Judaism has considerably more books than the ones found in the KJV (The Talmud being of great importance).

So, do you yourself believe God has ordained any messengers of late? I do not mean ministers/evangelists.

Why would they try to convert me? The site's very description refers to it as a having "theological and Christian forums", which would only lead me to the conclusion that there are Christians here, and I will likely interact with them (as I already am). Christians proselytize.

You do not know me aside from what I have posted, yet you judge me and my "ungodly motives". I've made it quite clear, I do not in any way wish to tell someone to not believe in something, or to believe in something. People have the right to hold their own religious beliefs, or lack thereof.

Why "subject myself"? You speak as though this is torture. I promise I have zero religious agenda. My life is occupied with my ex-wife neededing ear surgery as she is in constant migraines, so I will have my daughters for up to 6 weeks, wondering if they (my girls) will be accepted into the private school we applied them for, taking care care of the stray cat I brought in that recently had kittens and trying to find them homes without resorting to the Humane Society, worrying about my paternal grandfather slipping into late-stage dementia, and being concerned the A/C system made some "funny noises" yesterday, and it is already well into the triple-digits here. My agenda is to try and take care of those things/worry about those things, not try to change someone's religious views.

Don't be so quick to judge. Sorry if others left a "bad taste in your mouth", but I am not them.

:thumb:

Welcome to the forum BD :)

I intuit your intentions are good and friendly, and in the gesture of learning, sharing ideas and 'creative dialogue',...you will do well here, especially with those who also share those sentiments, giving due respect.

You're welcome to join in on any discussions that interest you, explore around, research and get familiarized with the terrain.

Namaste,

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Its not all 'black and white'.........

Its not all 'black and white'.........

Confessing pagans unrepentantly worship Satan and oppose Jesus Christ.

Gasp. You're in true form there Nang,...as many would chuckle at this 'assumption', deeming it 'ignorant'. No matter what your imposed 'word-view' or 'theology' is...the way you put it is 'audacious'. (you might know that 'Satanism' is different from 'Paganism' and even 'Witchcraft' in a variety of ways). We've hashed it out before in this thread here :cool:

Even with your explanation later supplied,...only 'God' knows every heart and soul, since he is the Father of all spirits, and will thru His divine providence guide all souls back to himself, since there is nowhere any soul could go outside of his omnipresence anyways. As you know, my 'theology' is all-inclusive and all-transcending, since the Infinite Spirit and divine principle is fundamentally at the heart of all that exists, as nothing exists independent of it.

They never enter the church or Christian discussion, with good motives.

Oh lordy. Laying out a blanket-judgement call on all 'pagans' is a 'mis-call', since there are pagans of varying kinds and philosophical dispositions that may or may not be in agreement with 'Christianity' (its different schools or points of theology),...for some forms of paganism can embrace elements of 'judeo-christian' theology/philosophy, especially among us more eclectic types who are 'theosophists' and true 'universalists' at heart.

I once had my affiliation as 'Pagan' for a brief time (I'm not afraid of the term, understanding what it means and its diverse correlations), since aspects of my own 'world-view' embrace some common elements to the more ancient pagan-cultures, those of both 'eastern' & 'western' religious traditions.

See:

Is freelight a pagan? :)

Beware . . .

Of who, the boogy-man?

Yes...be careful and 'open-minded' about any belief-system, ideology, religious point of view, philosophy, assumption, etc.....research it out for yourself to make your own discoveries. That's a path I endorse, because its the only one being true to the faculties that 'God' gave you, apart from which you could not know or perceive anything anyways,...since 'God' is the substance, reality and source of one's own 'being' and 'consciousness', being the only 'reality' behind all that appears. That 'reality' is ever-present. No one has a 'monopoly' on it, though the mind (or 'religious ego') might tend to hold up its 'denominations' as special, one of a kind, or exclusively true. - such 'concepts' are relative.

On that note,....apart from my mildly intended sarcasm above in response to the tone of your statements,...we've kept our dialogues somewhat cordial, so hope we can maintain that, accepting our disagreements, while being free to articulate such. You know I have my 'perks' :)

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Beyond the mummery of words.......

Beyond the mummery of words.......

Yes, false religions, philosophies, and all forms of false doctrine, ARE
the "Boogeyman!"

Boo.

You'd have to prove your premise of what is 'true' or 'false' first, apart from religious bias or presupposition, if any 'criteria' could be accepted upon for all parties involved.

The reality that ever exists, as omnipresent and ever-available...is the reality that IS....NOW. - this 'reality' that is 'aware' ....as awareness itself....is 'being'....prior to any words or conception. That tosses all 'theology' being 'conceptual' down the bunny hole, - it only 'relates' as far as it does in 'relative' way.

But that's a higher teaching, given to us by great advaita teachers such as Ramana Maharshi & Nisargadatta Maharaj. (the essence of non-duality).

Truth is ever-available,...its the 'mind' that blocks, distorts and disrupts its clarity.

pj

IMJerusha

Was at an industry conference about 4 months ago, and participated in a round table discussion on sex offenders. Not a single psychologist could name one patient or client of theirs that was a repeated sex offender that had changed their ways or come to faith and truly repented. You are an idiot. Your ways are not God's ways, and you are an embarrassment to Christ's principles and God's laws.

http://nationalrsol.org/resources/ten-myths-abput-sex-offenders/

"We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God." 2 Corinthians 5:20

I know what God is capable of. Why don't you?

You come to this thread, you offer no welcome to Dave and all you choose to do in your first post here is put me down for my testimony and witness to Yeshua. Why is that?

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No one is beyond God's reach or love. Not the pedophile, the murderer, the thief, you or me.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This may shock and bother you, but if pedos have a shot at heaven, I want no part of it. That is one of the biggest "roadblocks" in my life when it comes to ever embracing Christianity, is that it teaches that pedophiles and rapists can still be saved. I am not coming down on you or any Christian for believing that, as none of you wrote the Bible, and are merely following the teachings of your faith.
The vanity of man is in his insistence on some deep and abiding level that he is worthy of grace, or worthier than the next fellow. All have fallen short and no one merits. If we recognize the lie that we tell ourselves then we can have hope for any man, as Christ hoped and died for all.