Big Dave all up in this piece

Big Dave

OK, first and foremost, I am not a "Pinko Commie" (lol!). I'm actually a Centrist, but "Pinko Commie" is too funny to pass up.

Well, as the screen name would indicate, I'm Dave...and I'm big (6'0 tall, about 250lbs). I am a divorced father of two (fraternal twin daughters), though my ex-wife and I are best friends (we still have family meals and family days together). Most people that meet me would describe me as "boring but good natured". It takes quite a bit to "rile me up", unless one is a bona fide scumbag (see below).

It's difficult to describe my religious beliefs. Somewhat of a mixture between Shamanism and Paganism, except I do not enter (or attempt to enter) trance-like states (for any reason), and I also do not have a patron/god/goddess (though I do not discount that higher beings may in all likelihood exist). I believe in ghosts and earthbound spirits, whether benevolent, neutral, or malevolent (Spiritualism), as well as that all living things have a soul/spirit (Animism).

Let it be known, I am not here to start fights. While the inevitable debate will, of course, happen, it is not my goal. I am infatuated with Religion/Mythology, but not the "what people believe", but the "why people believe". I assure any reader I am not here to try and change/alter another's religious belief system (or lack thereof). While I do not worship the Abrahamic God, but I see no harm in it if one does. My daughters are being raised Christian, as their mother is devout (Pentecostal). Before our children were even conceived, I agreed that they would be raised in her faith. When I have them (every weekend and often random days throughout the month), we pray at meals, as they do at her house. They love Jesus, and there isn't enough money in the world for me to ever take that joy from them.

As mentioned above, I am politically a Centrist. Not terribly uncommon for one person to find me too liberal, and another to find me too conservative. It is in this arena I will likely engage in more debate, whereas in religious matters I will likely ask more questions (and don't worry, they aren't trick/trap questions).

Now, to the scumbags lol. As long as one is not a pedophile, sex offender, child abuser, animal abuser, someone who abuses/exploits the elderly or vulnerable, or a bully (especially a RIP Troll), we should get along fine. Understand I have been in the past (and still to a degree am) involved in activism (both offline and online) against those types. Do understand, also, that I am fully aware of the difference between spanking and child abuse.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know the lot of you!

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
welcome!

and while you're up in this piece, brush the spiderwebs out of the corners of the ceiling, will ya?

kthxbaie

Thunder's Muse

OK, first and foremost, I am not a "Pinko Commie" (lol!). I'm actually a Centrist, but "Pinko Commie" is too funny to pass up.

Well, as the screen name would indicate, I'm Dave...and I'm big (6'0 tall, about 250lbs). I am a divorced father of two (fraternal twin daughters), though my ex-wife and I are best friends (we still have family meals and family days together). Most people that meet me would describe me as "boring but good natured". It takes quite a bit to "rile me up", unless one is a bona fide scumbag (see below).

It's difficult to describe my religious beliefs. Somewhat of a mixture between Shamanism and Paganism, except I do not enter (or attempt to enter) trance-like states (for any reason), and I also do not have a patron/god/goddess (though I do not discount that higher beings may in all likelihood exist). I believe in ghosts and earthbound spirits, whether benevolent, neutral, or malevolent (Spiritualism), as well as that all living things have a soul/spirit (Animism).

Let it be known, I am not here to start fights. While the inevitable debate will, of course, happen, it is not my goal. I am infatuated with Religion/Mythology, but not the "what people believe", but the "why people believe". I assure any reader I am not here to try and change/alter another's religious belief system (or lack thereof). While I do not worship the Abrahamic God, but I see no harm in it if one does. My daughters are being raised Christian, as their mother is devout (Pentecostal). Before our children were even conceived, I agreed that they would be raised in her faith. When I have them (every weekend and often random days throughout the month), we pray at meals, as they do at her house. They love Jesus, and there isn't enough money in the world for me to ever take that joy from them.

As mentioned above, I am politically a Centrist. Not terribly uncommon for one person to find me too liberal, and another to find me too conservative. It is in this arena I will likely engage in more debate, whereas in religious matters I will likely ask more questions (and don't worry, they aren't trick/trap questions).

Now, to the scumbags lol. As long as one is not a pedophile, sex offender, child abuser, animal abuser, someone who abuses/exploits the elderly or vulnerable, or a bully (especially a RIP Troll), we should get along fine. Understand I have been in the past (and still to a degree am) involved in activism (both offline and online) against those types. Do understand, also, that I am fully aware of the difference between spanking and child abuse.

Oh, we could talk for hours :chuckle:

Welcome:)

Nang

TOL Subscriber

Let it be known, I am not here to start fights.

So why are you here . . . ?

This is advertised as a "Theology" discussion site.

I have never in my life met a pagan/spiritualist that was truly interested in theology or the bible, or the gospel message of salvation or the Person and works of Jesus Christ.

Nang

Big Dave

Thank you all for the welcomes! Thunder's Muse, anytime :)

I hope everyone is having a great evening (or day, depending on time zones)

Posted from the TOL App!

Big Dave

So why are you here . . . ?

This is advertised as a "Theology" discussion site.

I have never in my life met a pagan/spiritualist that was truly interested in theology or the bible, or the gospel message of salvation or the Person and works of Jesus Christ.

Nang

Then you have never met me! Why am I here? Mostly to learn, also to make some friends and acquaintances.

Posted from the TOL App!

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Then you have never met me! Why am I here? Mostly to learn, also to make some friends and acquaintances.

Posted from the TOL App!

Do you want to learn biblical theology? Do you want to hear the good news of the incarnation of the Son of God?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...Let it be known, I am not here to start fights. While the inevitable debate will, of course, happen, it is not my goal. I am infatuated with Religion/Mythology, but not the "what people believe", but the "why people believe".
When you remove what people believe and why, what are you left with? :think:

As mentioned above, I am politically a Centrist. Not terribly uncommon for one person to find me too liberal, and another to find me too conservative.
As a marginally left leaning moderate let me tell you how that pans out in a site overwhelmingly right wing. You're not going to be called conservative too often. :nono: You'll see.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Big Dave

Do you want to learn biblical theology? Do you want to hear the good news of the incarnation of the Son of God?

Actually, yes. Whether people like it or not, Christianity played an incredibly large part in world history. As mentioned, my ex-wife is Christian, and my girls are being raised as such. I used to attend Church with my ex, and while I did not subscribe to the belief system, I did enjoy many of the sermons (I largely went to support her).

Understand I believe Jesus was a real person. It is his divinity I do not subscribe to. However, just because I do not worship your God does not mean I entirely discount his existence. Of course, I recognize that Christians feel my soul is in jeopardy, and that is fine, their faith says I am. It is ludicrous to not expect a Christian to not subscribe to the tenets of their faith.

Posted from the TOL App!

Big Dave

When you remove what people believe and why, what are you left with? :think:

As a marginally left leaning moderate let me tell you how that pans out in a site overwhelmingly right wing. You're not going to be called conservative too often. :nono: You'll see.

Welcome aboard. :cheers:

Should have phrased that better. The "what" part is easy. "Google research" can show me the differences between the Protestant denominations, or what exactly Sikhism is all about. I am interested in "why" the individual holds those beliefs. Not to mock/belittle them, that's not what I'm about, just very curious. I'm also interested in the developments of various religions/mythologies, such as why pagan Germanics did not have Odin/Wotan, but instead had Tiw/Tyr as their patron deity, but the Pagan Scandinavians did have Odin/Wotan, and Tiw/Tyr became "less important".

Thank you for the welcome.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Actually, yes.

O.K.

What theological questions would you like to ask?

Understand I believe Jesus was a real person. It is his divinity I do not subscribe to.

Well, this is just example of the serious and damning sin of unbelief, that denies that the divine Creator, God the Son, became flesh as a Man, in order to save unbelieving sinners such as yourself.

I have never met a pagan that even wanted to discuss such spiritual reality. . . do you really want to learn about this amazing truth?

Big Dave

O.K.

What theological questions would you like to ask?

Well, this is just example of the serious and damning sin of unbelief, that denies that the divine Creator, God the Son, became flesh as a Man, in order to save unbelieving sinners such as yourself.

I have never met a pagan that even wanted to discuss such spiritual reality. . . do you really want to learn about this amazing truth?

OK. Why do Christians and Muslims feel that God is "silent" now (as in no major revelations/messengers), but Rabbinical Judaism (Karaia Judaism is very different but the Karaities/Kariims are an extreme minority) teaches that God has never remained silent for long (see; Maimonides, Rambam, Rambam II, ect.).

There is a difference between "learning" and "converting". I expect the Christians and Muslims on this site to attempt to convert me, as both faiths are proselytizing in nature (Rabbinical Judaism is the exception in the Abrahamic Faiths). I cannot get upset if a Christian tells me of the Gospel, they are merely doing as Jesus commanded them to do. Just because I have no desire to convert does not mean I do not desire to learn why said Christian(s) believes as they do. Have they witnessed God's majesty/something supernatural? Raised that way?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Of course, I recognize that Christians feel my soul is in jeopardy, and that is fine, their faith says I am.

Welcome to TOL and I for one do not at all believe your soul is in jeopardy. Some people take the responsibilty for salvation of others upon themselves.

Jesus said he would handle it and I take the man at his word.

Enjoy your life and live in peace within and without.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
One other thing while I think about it, Big Dave, you sound like a righteous man and Jesus said he did not come to call the righteous to repentance.

You're off the hook in terms of Christianity.

Live in peace.