Big Dave all up in this piece

The 5 solas

Should have phrased that better. The "what" part is easy. "Google research" can show me the differences between the Protestant denominations, or what exactly Sikhism is all about. I am interested in "why" the individual holds those beliefs.

This forum is a MIXED bag...and do I ever mean mixed...of theology and heresy.
I am glad you are here for the WHY rather than the WHAT....because wading through the mire to find the WHAT would take a lot of time.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Big Dave

This forum is a MIXED bag...and do I ever mean mixed...of theology and heresy.
I am glad you are here for the WHY rather than the WHAT....because wading through the mire to find the WHAT would take a lot of time.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

Thank you kindly. Yes, I am quite interested in why people believe as they do. It has always intrigued me.

Posted from the TOL App!

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, in Nang's defense, it's not too uncommon for some Christians to believe that those who follow Paganism and/or Shamanism (although as I mentioned I'm not quite either, just the closest I could get to describing my beliefs) worship Satan. While I disagree (of course lol), it is what it is., and just something I let "roll off my back".

Thank you though :)

I *use* to actually believe that based on what I was told rather than actually reading and speaking to others in regards to what they *do* believe and practice.

It's understandable for someone to believe what they have been taught, however, if they are provided evidence to the contrary and still cling to the same conclusion, it would be a waste of time to discuss the issue with them.

Big Dave

I *use* to actually believe that based on what I was told rather than actually reading and speaking to others in regards to what they *do* believe and practice.

It's understandable for someone to believe what they have been taught, however, if they are provided evidence to the contrary and still cling to the same conclusion, it would be a waste of time to discuss the issue with them.

That's why I don't even bother discussing it. Like I've said, I'm not trying to change anyone's religious beliefs. If people wish to feel that I "worship Satan", fine, my life remains unaltered.

I hope you are well :)

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Well, in Nang's defense, it's not too uncommon for some Christians to believe that those who follow Paganism and/or Shamanism (although as I mentioned I'm not quite either, just the closest I could get to describing my beliefs) worship Satan. While I disagree (of course lol), it is what it is., and just something I let "roll off my back".

I do not necessarily speak of overt and celebratory worship of Satan, which covens often participate in . . .

A soul serves either one of only two masters: God or Satan.

Those who serve God, worship Him according to His will and word.

Those who serve Satan, are enslaved to serving wickedness, sin & death.

It is impossible to be held in bondage to serving Satan, and attempt to fight evil, for all "scumbags" are fellow servants of the devil.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Big Dave, keep in mind that only those whom the Father calls can come to Jesus. There is no indication you are being called at this time so just ignore all the background noise.

If God wants you he will make it unmistakenly clear. Until then forget about Christ. He will come to you if and when you need him and right now you don't. It sounds like you are doing just fine as you are.

:carryon:

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Big Dave, keep in mind that only those whom the Father calls can come to Jesus. There is no indication you are being called at this time so just ignore all the background noise.

If God wants you he will make it unmistakenly clear. Until then forget about Christ. He will come to you if and when you need him and right now you don't. It sounds like you are doing just fine as you are.

What a horrible thing to say to any soul!

The 5 solas

Unbelievable. It is ignorance like that which gives Calvinism a bad name.

We are to preach the gospel to everyone everywhere, we do not know who the elect are and we do not know other people's hearts and how the Holy Spirit might be moving in their lives.

Simply unreal.

genuineoriginal

OK, first and foremost, I am not a "Pinko Commie" (lol!). I'm actually a Centrist, but "Pinko Commie" is too funny to pass up.

Well, as the screen name would indicate, I'm Dave...and I'm big (6'0 tall, about 250lbs). I am a divorced father of two (fraternal twin daughters), though my ex-wife and I are best friends (we still have family meals and family days together). Most people that meet me would describe me as "boring but good natured". It takes quite a bit to "rile me up", unless one is a bona fide scumbag (see below).

It's difficult to describe my religious beliefs. Somewhat of a mixture between Shamanism and Paganism, except I do not enter (or attempt to enter) trance-like states (for any reason), and I also do not have a patron/god/goddess (though I do not discount that higher beings may in all likelihood exist). I believe in ghosts and earthbound spirits, whether benevolent, neutral, or malevolent (Spiritualism), as well as that all living things have a soul/spirit (Animism).

Let it be known, I am not here to start fights. While the inevitable debate will, of course, happen, it is not my goal. I am infatuated with Religion/Mythology, but not the "what people believe", but the "why people believe". I assure any reader I am not here to try and change/alter another's religious belief system (or lack thereof). While I do not worship the Abrahamic God, but I see no harm in it if one does. My daughters are being raised Christian, as their mother is devout (Pentecostal). Before our children were even conceived, I agreed that they would be raised in her faith. When I have them (every weekend and often random days throughout the month), we pray at meals, as they do at her house. They love Jesus, and there isn't enough money in the world for me to ever take that joy from them.

As mentioned above, I am politically a Centrist. Not terribly uncommon for one person to find me too liberal, and another to find me too conservative. It is in this arena I will likely engage in more debate, whereas in religious matters I will likely ask more questions (and don't worry, they aren't trick/trap questions).

Now, to the scumbags lol. As long as one is not a pedophile, sex offender, child abuser, animal abuser, someone who abuses/exploits the elderly or vulnerable, or a bully (especially a RIP Troll), we should get along fine. Understand I have been in the past (and still to a degree am) involved in activism (both offline and online) against those types. Do understand, also, that I am fully aware of the difference between spanking and child abuse.

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know the lot of you!
:think:
God declared that Paganists deserves the same fate that a "scumbag" deserves.
But God is an optimist, and declared that Paganists and "scumbags" can repent and be saved from the wrath to come.

Big Dave

Well, I thank you. I must confess, I have never had that said to me before by a Christian. I saw below that your were referred to as a Calvinist. I did some reading on Calvinism, and now I see why you said what you said.

Big Dave

:think:
God declared that Paganists deserves the same fate that a "scumbag" deserves.
But God is an optimist, and declared that Paganists and "scumbags" can repent and be saved from the wrath to come.

This may shock and bother you, but if pedos have a shot at heaven, I want no part of it. That is one of the biggest "roadblocks" in my life when it comes to ever embracing Christianity, is that it teaches that pedophiles and rapists can still be saved. I am not coming down on you or any Christian for believing that, as none of you wrote the Bible, and are merely following the teachings of your faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
We are to preach the gospel to everyone everywhere, we do not know who the elect are and we do not know other people's hearts and how the Holy Spirit might be moving in their lives.

We don't have to. When God moves a person in his direction the person will start seeking answers to his questions. We are to provide answers to their questions.

Big Dave's opportunity for salvation is assured, but it will be on God's timing, not anyone else's.

Christianity seems to have the same approach as the Muslims, comply or die. That does not come from God.

Stop trying to intimidate people. Jesus preached for three and one half years and acquired 120 converts.

God is doing a fine job with this salvation thing, don't push him.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Hi, you may come to have some strange notions for me. Just keep in mind, this is mainly a Christian forum; we do have some ‘others’ here, some get along well, some get along.

I may seem harsh at first, but I am very fair. What is do not like is when someone is flippant with anyone based on the notion they have the better insight.

There are some nice people here and not all those liked are Christians, most are, but not all. People respond to your character, no matter, on forums, in person, casually and professionally.

Thunder's Muse

They choose to remain ignorant so they have something to accuse you of....trust me, I've been here a while :chuckle:

Big Dave

Hi, you may come to have some strange notions for me. Just keep in mind, this is mainly a Christian forum; we do have some ‘others’ here, some get along well, some get along.

I may seem harsh at first, but I am very fair. What is do not like is when someone is flippant with anyone based on the notion they have the better insight.

There are some nice people here and not all those liked are Christians, most are, but not all. People respond to your character, no matter, on forums, in person, casually and professionally.

Well, not you personally, as I do not know you. Hi! I'm Dave.

That is what I strive for! I am not one for needless drama, nor do I want to make anyone's life harder than it already is. I have no idea what the person I am responding to is going through in their personal life. If someone becomes attackative, for whatever reason, if I cannot reason with them, I simply move on. I don't like name calling and mud-slinging contests, certainly not when the only "problem" is a difference in opinion.

One Eyed Jack

Should have phrased that better. The "what" part is easy. "Google research" can show me the differences between the Protestant denominations, or what exactly Sikhism is all about. I am interested in "why" the individual holds those beliefs. Not to mock/belittle them, that's not what I'm about, just very curious. I'm also interested in the developments of various religions/mythologies, such as why pagan Germanics did not have Odin/Wotan, but instead had Tiw/Tyr as their patron deity, but the Pagan Scandinavians did have Odin/Wotan, and Tiw/Tyr became "less important".

Thank you for the welcome.

I guess it's just like that when you have a pantheon. Sort of like how the various ancient Greek cities tended to have different patron deities. Everybody's got their favorites.

Amongst the Nordic lot, I especially like Balder (who doesn't?) and Tyr. Thor too. I like Shiva best amongst the Hindu gods. None of the Greco-Roman gods really impress me, for some reason. Too human, I guess.

BTW, welcome to TOL.

The 5 solas

Well, I thank you. I must confess, I have never had that said to me before by a Christian. I saw below that your were referred to as a Calvinist. I did some reading on Calvinism, and now I see why you said what you said.

Big Dave, PLEASE do not lump Jamie in with Calvinists. I am myself a Calvinist and I am happy to share the gospel with every person, as commanded in Scripture.

Jamie is, a hyper calvinist, from what I have read. It is a terrible charicature of Calvinism, one that misrepresents it in the worst of ways. If you are interested in some good references, I would be happy to supply you with them.

I am sorry for the way Jamie addressed you, it was very shameful. Kind of brings me back to my original post to welcome you...Mixed Bag.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

I have no idea what Calvinism is about or what it teaches. I never even heard the term until I came to this forum.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I believe that God will offer every person the opportunity for salvation, but for most people it will not be in this lifetime. There are two resurrections, there is no rush on salvation, it will be there when you need it.

If this is what Calvinists and hypercalvinists teach so be it. I don't know.

Big Dave, if you are ever interested in the fundamental teachings of the NT check out Hebrews 6:1-2.

And if you have any questions I'm here.

Keep in mind what Peter said, "For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ they are again entangled therein and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning." (2 Peter 2:20)