Big Dave all up in this piece

Big Dave

Where do you derive your moral standings from? Just for the
sake of discussion, if there is no God, and no afterlife or judgment
to face; why would there be any need for laws, morals, and decency?

Let's take the, "So our lives won't be in chaos out of the equation!"
What other reasons would there be, for laws, morals, and decency?

Well, I do believe in an afterlife. I've mentioned that I believe in ghosts. I also mention I don't discount that there may be a higher power/higher powers at work.

One does not need a God/Gods/Goddesses to know that raping children is evil. This one is a given. It is never OK to hurt children.

Yes, let's take that "our lives won't be in chaos" out of the equation, because it's bunk. This nation has laws upon laws and it still has it's fair share of lawlessness and chaos.

Have you ever heard the adage "I want to believe there is a heaven, but I have to believe there is a hell"?

You ask a good question. Some of the answer is simple, other parts complex. It could boil down to whether one feels that without faith, that there is no moral compass. Naturally, I don't believe that. There are good people, and there are bad people.

Big Dave

However, if there be no God or judgment, what would be the
purpose of labeling a person, good or bad?

Again, where did you receive your moral standings from?

Another good question.

A moral compass is inborn, at least in my opinion. Even people with ASPD (Antisocial Personality Disorder- sociopaths/psychopaths) know the difference between right and wrong, they simply don't care, and do not feel empathy. That is more frightening than someone without a moral compass. Pedos know they are harming their victims, they know they are destroying young lives, but they do not care. We (humans) have quite high reasoning skills. I see a moral compass even in my young daughters. They know how to lie, and feel bad about it later.

I believe in the concept of good and evil, on both a secular and spiritual "wave length". I've both seen and experienced both. I will confess, I do not know how people can know the difference between good and evil, and still choose evil.

Big Dave

BD, "You don't have to teach a child to do bad but, you do
have to teach them how to be good!" Isn't that interesting?

I disagree. Not everything a child is doing is bad, just merely learning. When my girls were younger, they pulled the cats' whiskers and tails. We informed them that hurt the cats, and they stopped. That wasn't them being "naughty", just curious. Children need constant supervision, I'll give it that. Not because they might do "bad", but that they might get injured or worse.

In the case of ASPD, it can, and often does, manifest at a young age. How much is "nurture" and how much is "nature" is yet to be seen. Jeffrey Dahmer used to torture living animals, and mutilate them, starting at age 6. He was a psychopath, and no amount of parental correcting would change that.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I disagree. Not everything a child is doing is bad, just merely learning. When my girls were younger, they pulled the cats' whiskers and tails. We informed them that hurt the cats, and they stopped. That wasn't them being "naughty", just curious. Children need constant supervision, I'll give it that. Not because they might do "bad", but that they might get injured or worse.

In the case of ASPD, it can, and often does, manifest at a young age. How much is "nurture" and how much is "nature" is yet to be seen. Jeffrey Dahmer used to torture living animals, and mutilate them, starting at age 6. He was a psychopath, and no amount of parental correcting would change that.

Would you say then, a person might be, born evil?

Big Dave

Anyways, Grosnick Marowbe and Stripe, if you post more and I don't respond, it's because it's 11:35PM here, and I'm hitting the sack. I'll respond tomorrow.

Thunder's Muse

Confessing pagans unrepentantly worship Satan and oppose Jesus Christ.

They never enter the church or Christian discussion, with good motives.

Beware . . .

Nang, give it a rest. He just got here.

Also, this post makes you look uneducated about Paganism. You should rectify that.

Big Dave

Nang, give it a rest. He just got here.

Also, this post makes you look uneducated about Paganism. You should rectify that.

Well, in Nang's defense, it's not too uncommon for some Christians to believe that those who follow Paganism and/or Shamanism (although as I mentioned I'm not quite either, just the closest I could get to describing my beliefs) worship Satan. While I disagree (of course lol), it is what it is., and just something I let "roll off my back".

Thank you though :)