ARCHIVE: Zakath is Genuine!

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:
:chuckle:

I recall that at a general council gathering, men and women were not permitted to use the hotel swimming facilities at the same time... that's why I chuckled when BT called them liberal.

Liberal? No.

License? No.

Legalism? Yes.

Love! (ideal...do what is wise and right)

servent101

Wickwoman
Yes, we called it "mixed bathing" in the south. And this was never allowed, even with the very young but I was always thinking "we're not taking a bath, we're swimming!" Also, the membership form for my church said you agreed never to attend movies.

That picture Lovejoy has as his/her avatar, I've been through that more times than I'd care to remember! Ohhhh flashbacks, "O.K., think of a nice green field with a bunch of soft, white fluffy bunny rabbits hopping around." O.K. I'm better. Carry on!

I remember a time when there were a whole bunch of pop-ups of half naked women on the computer trying to sell stuff – they were a real distraction, really bothersome and difficult to handle – then I started to consider as they popped up the qualities of a good woman, the descriptions of a good soul, other characteristics of what a partner should be, and I looked at the pictures trying to find those “sensibilities” and they were not here – all that was there in the photo’s were the mindless empty void of stupidity, and after a while they did not cause me any duress whatsoever.

Anyways as well I put my mind in the frame of what Old Mormons would consider evil – even seeing a woman’s ankles was considered lusting – and believe it or not, when I saw some of my female friends ankles, I felt ashamed. It is the making of something wrong that is the hard part to deal with… anyways, I am rambling, but this appearance and avoiding the appearance of evil, is something the church goes a little overboard on.

With Christ’s Love

Servent101

Zakath

Resident Atheist
wickwoman said:
Yes, we called it "mixed bathing" in the south. And this was never allowed, even with the very young but I was always thinking "we're not taking a bath, we're swimming!" Also, the membership form for my church said you agreed never to attend movies.
Yes, we had some serious culture shock when we tried to take a youth group trip to Lake Michigan... the "no mixed bathing" rule put a serious kink in the kids' activities that day. No one told warned us AoG "converts" since it was assumed that "all Christians who hear the Holy Spirit would know that...".

:doh:

wickwoman

Anyways, Todd, where are you going with this A of G argument? Do you intend to prove, that neither me nor Zak were ever "saved" nor is any person who is an A of G? My parents would be interested to know about this theory of yours.

I don't know if Todd is an OSAS Christian but isn't it convenient how the OSAS Christians seem to get around that little bit of theology by theorizing that the "once saved" part never happened for most of those who don't fit the Christian mold any more? How very convenient . . . :think:

wickwoman

Zakath said:
No one told warned us AoG "converts" since it was assumed that "all Christians who hear the Holy Spirit would know that...".

:doh:

Well, did you have an evangelist knock you down? Surely you would have gotten that bit of info during your "little vacation" on the floor behind the altar ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
godrulz said:
...Legalism? Yes.
I know for certain that very few AoGs would refer to themselves as "legalistic"... ;)

They tend to refer to it as manifesting the holiness of God to a sinful world...

Zakath

Resident Atheist
wickwoman said:
Well, did you have an evangelist knock you down? Surely you would have gotten that bit of info during your "little vacation" on the floor behind the altar ;)
No... :nono:
Reminds me of the time that the AoG church I attended at the time in Chicagoland had the misfortune to host the (now) infamous John Wesley Fletcher to do one of his "healing and evangelism" crusades. A real dog and pony show... we even had Baptists sneaking over from next door to come watch...

Unfortunately, I had to work... I missed all the fun stuff. ;)

Fletcher, BTW, was the one who ratted out Jim Bakker for being bisexual... so much for "brotherly love"... :ha:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
wickwoman said:
Anyways, Todd, where are you going with this A of G argument? Do you intend to prove, that neither me nor Zak were ever "saved" nor is any person who is an A of G? My parents would be interested to know about this theory of yours.

I don't know if Todd is an OSAS Christian but isn't it convenient how the OSAS Christians seem to get around that little bit of theology by theorizing that the "once saved" part never happened for most of those who don't fit the Christian mold any more? How very convenient . . . :think:
The OSASers are merely engaging in a variation of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy of logic. The variation is commonly referred to as "No Real Christian". ;)

Caille

Zakath said:
No... :nono:
Reminds me of the time that the AoG church I attended at the time in Chicagoland had the misfortune to host the (now) infamous John Wesley Fletcher to do one of his "healing and evangelism" crusades. A real dog and pony show... we even had Baptists sneaking over from next door to come watch...

Unfortunately, I had to work... I missed all the fun stuff. ;)

Fletcher, BTW, was the one who ratted out Jim Bakker for being bisexual... so much for "brotherly love"... :ha:

Jim Bakker was bisexual ??!!! First time I've heard that one. Was he using Tammy's make-up kit?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caille said:
Jim Bakker was bisexual ??!!! First time I've heard that one. Was he using Tammy's make-up kit?
It was all part of the accusations that were flying around before he went to jail... some said he was an adulterer, others that he was homosexual, others that he was bisexual...

All kinds of things were said. I never bothered to keep up with what finally shook out... all I know is he went to jail and is out "fleecing the sheep" again...

Ecumenicist

Zakath said:
It was all part of the accusations that were flying around before he went to jail... some said he was an adulterer, others that he was homosexual, others that he was bisexual...

All kinds of things were said. I never bothered to keep up with what finally shook out... all I know is he went to jail and is out "fleecing the sheep" again...

Is there a term for being attracted to women who wear poofy hair and too much makeup?

poofysmarmysexual? flooziewooziesexual? dollysexual? I like the last one...

I wonder what Paul would have said about this...

Dave

C

cattyfan

Knight said:
:singer:Yo, VIP, Lets kick it!

Edge, Edge baby...
Edge, Edge baby...
All right stop
Collaborate and listen
Knight is back with my brand new addition
Something grabs a hold of me tightly Then i flow that truth harpoon daily and nightly
Will it ever stop?
Yo-I dont know
Flip back the page and I'll show
To the extreme I smack the forum like a poster on a truthsmakin' spree
Light up this thread and re-read post number 233.

Gee...this is a perfect piece for Strong Sad's new album "Witness the Whiteness" :chuckle:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Zakath said:

It appears Jim was broken in repentance. He served the poor and renounced his previous heresies. Do you have evidence he is fleecing the sheep? The evidence seems to be that he is serving in obscurity with little financial gain.

wickwoman

Dave Miller said:
Is there a term for being attracted to women who wear poofy hair and too much makeup?

Dave

Yes, the term is "redneck" I believe.

Berean Todd

godrulz said:
It appears Jim was broken in repentance. He served the poor and renounced his previous heresies. Do you have evidence he is fleecing the sheep? The evidence seems to be that he is serving in obscurity with little financial gain.

Well, considering he has been divorced he is unfit to be a pastor anymore for one.

wickwoman

Berean Todd said:
Well, considering he has been divorced he is unfit to be a pastor anymore for one.

Really? He could rob, steal, lie, and cheat but getting a divorce is the real clincher?

Berean Todd

wickwoman said:
Really? He could rob, steal, lie, and cheat but getting a divorce is the real clincher?

There are multiple scriptures that say that being divorced is a disqualifier for pastorship. That doesn't mean divorced people are worthless or that they can't do anything good, but pastors are held to a higher standard. For the record pastors are also called to not be lovers of money, to be above reproach, so no, those other things are disqualifiers as well my dear. But divorce is A disqualifier for pastoral ministry.

Berean Todd

Just as support, here is just one of a few of the passages that are pertinent:

1 Timmothy 3:2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?),

6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil.

7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Dave Miller said:

Dave
I think big hair is a "Southern thing"... ;)

Zakath

Resident Atheist
godrulz said:
It appears Jim was broken in repentance.
Yeah, he lost his "parsonage" in Florida (the one ith the $60,000 in gold plumbing fixtures), along with six other mansions... his wife divorced him and married his best friend...

On the other hand, perhaps your deity does like him.

...Bakker served only four years of a forty-five year sentence for conviction on 24 federal fraud counts and diverting millions of dollars from PTL accounts to his personal use including $265K to pay off his former mistress (which is why people jokingly referred to PTL as "Pay The Lady")...

He served the poor and renounced his previous heresies.
Oh, was that during his six month stay at a Salvation Army halfway house after his release from prison in 1994?

Do you have evidence he is fleecing the sheep? The evidence seems to be that he is serving in obscurity with little financial gain.
In June of 2003 he launched The New Jim Bakker Show and moved the operation to Branson, MO... where he is launching a "Christian themed residential community" called Morningside... it sounds a lot like his old modus operandi of selling time shares at his Heritage USA theme park.

"The first phase of Morningside will be a four-story complex with 30 condominiums surrounding "Main Street," a climate-controlled atrium with shops, a food court and a TV studio for Bakker. From studio to two bedrooms, the condos will begin at about $65,000. Residents will have a view into the atrium and the panorama outside..."
source

If it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, and has feathers like a duck... :rolleyes: