Abortion-a crying shame. (HOF thread)

intro2faith

Christians make up the great majority (about 70%) of women obtaining abortions...

I'd just like to say that, although a lot of people SAY they are Christians..it's not necessarily a lifestyle. True born again believers woud not have an abortion, if they truly believe all that a Christian should.

Lovejoy

intro2faith said:
Christians make up the great majority (about 70%) of women obtaining abortions...

I'd just like to say that, although a lot of people SAY they are Christians..it's not necessarily a lifestyle. True born again believers woud not have an abortion, if they truly believe all that a Christian should.
I am never clear about those stats, since they rely on what a woman claims on her way out of one of those places. The vast majority of the nation claims to be Christian, and yet what we watch and what we buy says very much differently. Evangelical Christians, however, and those claiming to be them, are usually much less represented on abortion lists.

intro2faith

Lovejoy said:
I am never clear about those stats, since they rely on what a woman claims on her way out of one of those places. The vast majority of the nation claims to be Christian, and yet what we watch and what we buy says very much differently. Evangelical Christians, however, and those claiming to be them, are usually much less represented on abortion lists.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :D

Lovejoy

That is actually all I do here. I have 3000+ posts of just rewording other people's posts and calling them my own! :chuckle:

GaMid

revgonzo said:
Althought I cannot find any passages in the Holy Book where God or his prophets speak out against abortion (which has been around for thousands of years. And the Israelites believed a human being be came as such after their first breath), I do believe that our Lord would be favourable to abortion in many cases. For example: Aborting the wicked, homosexuals, and witches.

But that being said, this is an extremely sensitive issue, as we just cannot read God's mind, since he has spoken so little about abortion in tat sense. We should concentrate on more pertinent issues such as homosexuality, pagan worshippers (ie. non-christians), and those who like the French.
Okay, a question for the righties. You want to keep as many abortions from happening as possible, that's fine. Then when they are born to poverty or to single mothers you do not want to support them with social programs. You will do your best to make sure the baby makes it into this world (such as the stupid "wait 24 hours" law the ga assembly just passed), but then you do not want to take any responcibility for them. How can you just sit by and let these children go down the same cycle?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GaMid said:
Okay, a question for the righties. You want to keep as many abortions from happening as possible, that's fine. Then when they are born to poverty or to single mothers you do not want to support them with social programs. You will do your best to make sure the baby makes it into this world (such as the stupid "wait 24 hours" law the ga assembly just passed), but then you do not want to take any responcibility for them. How can you just sit by and let these children go down the same cycle?

Think about it. Most of us who believe that abortion is wrong either has adopted children who would have been aborted or wants to adopt children who would have been aborted.

As to the social programs; why should anyone who is able to work be rewarded for choosing not to work?

Nineveh

Merely Christian
As a "protestant Christian", shouldn't we be teaching people to wait until marriage thereby avoiding the whole mess to begin with?

I'm not sure why you seem so down on people taking responsibility for themselves and other people they bring into the world.

Lovejoy

GaMid said:
It is not an issue of not wanting to care for them, it is an issue of letting government organizations care for them. My Church receives more money from me than the Feds do, and I know that the vast majority of that goes to benevolence. I will help these people I will even take their kids in and give them back when they are ready. My small church supports dozens of families. I just don't feel people should be made to care for them through taxation.

Lovejoy

Nineveh said:
As a "protestant Christian", shouldn't we be teaching people to wait until marriage thereby avoiding the whole mess to begin with?

I'm not sure why you seem so down on people taking responsibility for themselves and other people they bring into the world.
It is truly a strange world that sees killing the babies as a more "responsible" move than letting the children live and be poor.

GaMid

Lovejoy said:
It is truly a strange world that sees killing the babies as a more "responsible" move than letting the children live and be poor.
I don't see it as being more responsible. It was just a question that I suppose I should have worded differently. I do believe that waiting for marriage is the right thing to do for anyone, but I'm not going say that it's the complete answer to the abortion issue. Do you claim victory just by abortion reduction or making it illegal? In my opinion a certain date should be set for an abortion to take place, maybe the end of the first trimester. For those of you who believe it should be completely outlawed, what is an appropriate abortion?

I'm also just trying to get a feel for this place, atleast give me a good ten or so posts before you pass judgement. ;)

Lovejoy

GaMid said:
I don't see it as being more responsible. It was just a question that I suppose I should have worded differently. I do believe that waiting for marriage is the right thing to do for anyone, but I'm not going say that it's the complete answer to the abortion issue. Do you claim victory just by abortion reduction or making it illegal? In my opinion a certain date should be set for an abortion to take place, maybe the end of the first trimester. For those of you who believe it should be completely outlawed, what is an appropriate abortion?

I'm also just trying to get a feel for this place, atleast give me a good ten or so posts before you pass judgement. ;)
Naw, you would have had to say something much more malign than that for me to write you off! Virtually the first thing I ever posted here got destroyed by a former poster, and we ended up respecting each all the more for it. I learned a lot, too. Anyway, abortion is not one of the things that I am willing to compromise on, and choose to be quite clear on my opinion about it, whether or not the rest of society cares how I feel. However, I am also one of the ones that believes we need to put as much work and service into the mother as we do into saving the child. One is not more important than the other.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Landover Baptist bumper sticker:
JUST BECAUSE GOD LOVES TO KILL BABIES DOESN'T GIVE YOU PERSMISSION!

Hosea 13:16

elected4ever

aikido7 said:
Landover Baptist bumper sticker:
JUST BECAUSE GOD LOVES TO KILL BABIES DOESN'T GIVE YOU PERSMISSION!That verse (Hosea 13: 16) is not what the Lord is going to do to Samaria but what will happen to them as a result of their disobedience. God removes His protection from them and the enemies of Samaria will do those things, not God. A nation that turns against God will lose God's protection

Hosea 13:16

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
That verse (Hosea 13: 16) is not what the Lord is going to do to Samaria but what will happen to them as a result of their disobedience. God removes His protection from them and the enemies of Samaria will do those things, not God. A nation that turns against God will lose God's protection
It is good to be aware of context--whether biblically or otherwise (as in the case of abortion).

Freak

Crow said:
Abortion is legal in this country. It should be dealt with by working to change the laws.
How long do you propose we wait, while the killing continues, to ensure the laws of the land change?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
How long do you propose we wait, while the killing continues, to ensure the laws of the land change?
Who's waiting? From street activism to the cries made on this very website God's righteous demands will be preached to the masses.

Freak

Knight said:
Who's waiting? From street activism to the cries made on this very website God's righteous demands will be preached to the masses.
What I'm getting at is, when will it be time for acts of civil disobedience from the body of Christ?