Worse Movie and Not the Best

Jerry Shugart

Did anyone see the movie "The Shape of Water"?

It might be the very worse movie I have ever seen but it was hailed as the Best Movie at the Academy Awards!

Any thoughts?

john w

Hall of Fame
Did anyone see the movie "The Shape of Water"?

It might be the very worse movie I have ever seen but it was hailed as the Best Movie at the Academy Awards!

Any thoughts?

It is evident, obvious, we see, that the liberal Hollywood frauds had their way. However, that great mid Acts giant, sir Robert Anderson's grandchildren, had this to say, about the movie:

thumbs_up.jpg

How did I do?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Anti-American.
Anti-GOD.
Anti-family.
Anti-straight white male.

It was creepy and disturbing.
But that is the genre of most Guillermo del Toro's films.

It was also a very predictable movie.
A lonely misunderstood woman (who is also mute - can hear but cannot speak) falls in love and has sex with an alien amphibious type creature that was considered a god by the community in which it was found.
She is a cleaning woman at the facility that has the creature captured.
Her encounter with this new "god" sets her free to experience a "true" love and happiness and a sense of belonging that she was unable to find in traditional life.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What did you think about it, Jerry?

I left the theater feeling like I had been slimed.
Have no desire to ever watch it again.

Last edited:

john w

Hall of Fame
I felt like I wasted the money I spent to see the God awful thing!

Why should we believe you, instead of the great movie review giants, like sir Richard Roeper, sir Rot N. Tomatoes? We see, it is evident, it is obvious, that you have no answer to your ridiculous, silly, theory, and are running and hiding.

How'd I do?

musterion

Just watch the classic THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Not loaded with all that postmodern political baggage.

john w

Hall of Fame
At one time your material was mildly amusing. But it has grown stale and really boring.

Why are you attacking me, the messenger, with your "grown stale and really boring," as you imitate me, mock me, and assassinate me? We see, obviously, it is evident, that you clearly have no answer, and are ignoring the facts, and are interested in only what men, say, about the movies, instead of the giants of movie reviewers, as you continue to run, and hide, and assert silly, laughable theories. WEIRD. BRILLIANT!

How'd I do?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It was a beautiful movie in every way. I went having no idea what to expect, and I was entranced.
I hated it on the surface.
I couldn't get the thought of "strange flesh" and "kind after kind" out of my mind, and trying to present it as something beautiful instead of the abomination it is set a bad taste in my mouth and all through the movie I was thinking to myself "... BUT ....".

"I'm glad you have found some happiness ...... BUT ...."

It's that same feeling I get when I watch a movie where someone commits adultery.

"Sure, you are happy ..... BUT ...."​

The popularity of stories of mating with with "strange flesh" is really on the rise these days, and a lot of the population is thinking about how cool that would be and wish they could find such a mate.
Did the days of Noah's time teach us nothing?

On the other hand, a movie can use extreme type characters to portray a message really doesn't have anything to do with what the actual characters are.
The Life of Pi comes to mind.
The story told of a boy's experience with wild animals, when the real message of the story had nothing to do with wild animals.
So even if the types of characters used in a story may be an oddity, it is the message/moral being portrayed that is the real story and not the types of characters themselves.

To tell the truth, I had a hard time figuring out what the moral message of this movie was supposed to be.
What did you find the moral message to be, Anna?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I hated it on the surface.
I couldn't get the thought of "strange flesh" and "kind after kind" out of my mind, and trying to present it as something beautiful instead of the abomination it is set a bad taste in my mouth and all through the movie I was thinking to myself "... BUT ....".
"I'm glad you have found some happiness ...... BUT ...."​

Did you consider they were “kind after kind?”

Danoh

Just watch the classic THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Not loaded with all that postmodern political baggage.

Hadn't figured you for an Environmentalist.

Most of those old movies and tv shows were about the support of one cause or another you take issue with.

King Kong: Pro-Environmentalist.

Godzilla: Anti-Nuclear Weapons.

And so on - get a clue.

Rom. 5:6-8.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I just could not make that connection.

Do you remember how he touched the scars on her neck and they opened into gills?

The ending is ambiguous, you don't really know what actually happened, but one way of looking at it is that she was one of his kind in that way at least. Another would be that he created gills for her, because maybe in our imagination we really want to hope that she didn't die.

The lighting and feel of this movie was amazing, the amphibian man was easy to have empathy for because he felt pain and emotion. I wasn't familiar with Sally Hawkins, but she was simply luminous. Juxtapose that love without words against the human cruelty which has no use for people who are outside their zone of comfort, familiarity, or control.

Anyway. It's too bad you had such a negative reaction to it. Maybe give it another chance?