Windows Vista Beta 2 Plagued by Bugs

patman

Before, i wasn't very interested in Vista because I assumed a brand new ground up Windows might be good, maybe more original. Why did I think this? Because they had years to think of stuff. I didn't think there would be a whole lot to make fun of anymore. Turns out I was wrong.

I am sad for PC users who refuse to switch that have to be victims, But who do they come to it doesn't work? ME.. A mac guy no less. So since I have to fix their PC with my MAC, I get some right to poke fun at VISTA, and lament the fact it still sucks. :rotfl:

Here are some videos I found.

Speech Feature needs work
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1123221217782777472&q=vista&hl=en

Windows Vista Demo with MAX OS X edited in, showing how VISTA is a TIGER wannabe
part 1
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2674791799339834706&q=vista&hl=en
part 2
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7919991136779006253&q=vista&hl=en

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
I hate Windows.
So you're joining Knight and I on this issue? Get out the cutlery!

Granite said:
Turbo, the day I "join" you people will be the same day I puncture my eyes with a fork, slice off my tongue with a pizza cutter, rip my nails out with needle nose pliers, join the ranks of the castrati, and self-immolate. Thanks for asking though.:cheers:

patman

Turbo said:
There's a part 3, too. All three videos can be found here. Those videos are a riot!!
That one was pretty gooooood.

You gotta love these too. There are three new ones!

Mac and PC ads.

Did Vista fix the spyware problem? Or is it more "soap box programs"? Get dirty and clean it up later.... er,,, every hour... :juggle:

hatsoff

I'm a little surprised at the misinformation in this thread. In an internet forum populated by people who love to bicker about the smallest issues, I'd expect more technical insights than this.

Does Windows XP cost $199?
Yes and no. If you go to a place like Best Buy or CompUSA, you'll have to spend about that much, yes. That's because retail outlet prices are badly inflated, and don't offer the full range of XP releases to begin with. I usually buy computer components from newegg.com, who gives the following prices (with shipping included):
$89.99 -- Windows XP Home
$114.98 -- Windows XP Media Center
$142.98 -- Windows XP Professional
$144.98 -- Windows XP Professional x64
Meanwhile, upgrading to Tiger is $137.06 with tax (from the Apple website).
OS pricing, however, is largely unimportant, as it is only a small part of the equasion. In fact, the OS is usually included in the price of a PC or Mac, leaving price a non-issue in most cases.

Isn't Windows Vista 64-bit?
Windows Vista supports 64-bit extensions, yes. It is fully functional, however, with older 32-bit limited CPUs.

Macs are better than PCs
This is an opinion. The truth of the matter is that each platform has its strengths and weaknesses. If you like OS X best, by all means use it. Most people prefer Windows XP, which is fine, too. And don't forget Linux! Personally, I can't stand OS X. I am thinking about setting up Ubuntu on my secondary system, however (I can't use it on my primary system due to incomplete ALSA compatibility with my Audigy LS).

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Knight said:
I realize that, as you can with other software products but the point is don't you think the retail price is a bit ridiculous for such an old product?

Yeah but we get security updates all the time. So XP Pro is always new! ;)

Aimiel

I tried the Vista Beta and found it buggy. My computer is 'Vista Capable' according to HP, and Microsoft's pre-installation testing software. Even with a 3.2gHz processor, 2Gb of memory, an nVida GEForce 7800GTX graphics card, I couldn't use the 3D windows function. I guess you need a supercomputer to have Vista recognize that your computer will handle it. I've never spoken with anyone who was able to use that function, either. There's a lot more that doesn't work than does. It really stinks. I had it for less than two weeks and decided to give up, after trying many suggestions from Microsoft's technical gurus. It definitely needs at least an RC1, if not RC 12, to make it pass as user-proof. It is far more of a bother than it is worth. My next computer will be a Mac. :thumb:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
hatsoff said:
I'm a little surprised at the misinformation in this thread. In an internet forum populated by people who love to bicker about the smallest issues, I'd expect more technical insights than this.
Actually it is you who is giving misinformation.

You are comparing WINDOWS OEM versions of their OS to Mac's retail version of their OS.

As you know (or maybe you don't) an OEM version is not supposed to be sold separately and installed on a machine (not that it's a big deal) but truth be told it isn't the retail version of software and shouldn't be compared to a retail version of another similar software.

Windows NON-OEM XP retails for $199. If you are going to make comparisons please make them accurately.

Your flawed comparison....
Does Windows XP cost $199?
Yes and no. If you go to a place like Best Buy or CompUSA, you'll have to spend about that much, yes. That's because retail outlet prices are badly inflated, and don't offer the full range of XP releases to begin with. I usually buy computer components from newegg.com, who gives the following prices (with shipping included):
$89.99 -- Windows XP Home OEM VERSION
$114.98 -- Windows XP Media Center OEM VERSION
$142.98 -- Windows XP Professional OEM VERSION
$144.98 -- Windows XP Professional x64 OEM VERSION
Meanwhile, upgrading to Tiger is $137.06 with tax (from the Apple website).
OS pricing, however, is largely unimportant, as it is only a small part of the equasion. In fact, the OS is usually included in the price of a PC or Mac, leaving price a non-issue in most cases.

hitek357

hatsoff said:
Most people prefer Windows XP...
Actually, Most people just USE Windows, and the reason is ... uh, ... well, no one knows exactly why, but it may be for the same reason that most people drive on the right side of the road in the US. Don't you think this reason is closer to the truth?
hatsoff said:
And don't forget Linux! ...
:thumb:

hatsoff

Knight said:
Actually it is you who is giving misinformation.

Not so. See below.

You are comparing WINDOWS OEM versions of their OS to Mac's retail version of their OS.

That's right. To my knowledge, you cannot buy OS X OEM without buying a Mac, though I could possibly be wrong about that. Meanwhile, there's little or no reason to spend extra for the retail version of XP. This is, by the way, what I meant by retail outlets not selling "the full range" of XP releases.

As you know (or maybe you don't) an OEM version is not supposed to be sold separately and installed on a machine (not that it's a big deal) but truth be told it isn't the retail version of software and shouldn't be compared to a retail version of another similar software.

Windows NON-OEM XP retails for $199. If you are going to make comparisons please make them accurately.

Your flawed comparison....

There is no difference between the actual software of OEM and retail releases. Newegg ships out their OEM products with power splitters, last I heard, which allows them to do so legally.

So is it a flawed comparison? Well, of course, and for a variety of reasons, which is exactly why I said that OS prices don't much matter.

The one place where it might matter is upgrading. How much does it cost to upgrade your computer from OS 9 to OS X? As far as I can tell, you'd have to buy the full retail release of OS X to do so, which costs about $109. To upgrade from Windows 98 or ME to XP, you could get the OEM version for $90. If for whatever reason you wanted retail product support, you could get the special "Upgrade Version" for $105. The problem is, as noted above, OS prices are just a small part of the big picture. Considering everything else, they're a *very* small part.

EDIT: I didn't notice Newegg also offers OS X, for significantly cheaper than Apple.com, at $109. I didn't find it at first because they had it hiding in "Mac Operating Systems," a separate category from simply "Operating Systems."

Last edited:

patman

hatsoff said:
To my knowledge, you cannot buy OS X OEM without buying a Mac, though I could possibly be wrong about that. Meanwhile, there's little or no reason to spend extra for the retail version of XP. This is, by the way, what I meant by retail outlets not selling "the full range" of XP releases.
I know you caught this, ac OS X Tiger id for sale. But Mac has two versions, The regular everyday version, and then there is a server version with extra server tools.

Windows you gotta get the blue-screen-ridden(or is it green screen now? dont' know, Don't ever get them!) home addition that is half baked and virtually useless, may as well Get Win 2000 instead.. for a similar price, if not cheaper to Home?

To compare home to Tiger..... There is no comparison. The developmental and built in server tools and command features make Home look like 3.1 in comparison..... suuure, after running a billion wizards and getting some illegal software, you COULD get that... but out of the box, the development software alone is worth hundreds.

In my humble opinion at least :sleep:

hatsoff

patman said:
I know you caught this, ac OS X Tiger id for sale. But Mac has two versions, The regular everyday version, and then there is a server version with extra server tools.

Windows you gotta get the blue-screen-ridden(or is it green screen now? dont' know, Don't ever get them!) home addition that is half baked and virtually useless, may as well Get Win 2000 instead.. for a similar price, if not cheaper to Home?

To compare home to Tiger..... There is no comparison. The developmental and built in server tools and command features make Home look like 3.1 in comparison..... suuure, after running a billion wizards and getting some illegal software, you COULD get that... but out of the box, the development software alone is worth hundreds.

In my humble opinion at least :sleep:

The vast majority of people not only don't require developmental and server tools, but they would probably never use them even if provided. For the minority of folks who do need such features, you've got Server 2003.

By the way, Windows XP Home and Professional are almost exactly the same. The latter has some advanced networking features and a few other bells and whistles lacking in the former, but other than that they're practically twins. Windows 2000 is nice, but the XP kernel is slightly more reliable, as far as I can tell.

patman

hatsoff said:
The vast majority of people not only don't require developmental and server tools, but they would probably never use them even if provided. For the minority of folks who do need such features, you've got Server 2003.

By the way, Windows XP Home and Professional are almost exactly the same. The latter has some advanced networking features and a few other bells and whistles lacking in the former, but other than that they're practically twins. Windows 2000 is nice, but the XP kernel is slightly more reliable, as far as I can tell.
I guess it is smeting no one can say with certianty.

I have a pro windows anti mac friend who hates home. Well I have a lot of other friends who disown home too.

It is my cornor of the world who say home sucks and crashes way more than 2K and Pro. So who knows. If you think the value of home is better than the value of Mac, even after considering the shear cost of the tools you get (even if you don't use them), that is your opinion...

Just to add on to my opinion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2003#Pricing
It is over $600 and no Dev software mentioned

Mac os X Tiger $169
Dev software, free, server software, free, email server built in...

I just t hink the value is in a mac and the potential for productive work is there for less money too...

But anyway,,,, how about that buggy vista? :)

hatsoff

Pro and Home are the same kernel. Since Pro has more features (and therefore more to potentially go wrong), I don't see how Home could possibly be buggier.

And Vista? Well, it's still in beta stages. Let's not rush to judgment.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
I like Windows XP PRO, but before that I used Windows ME and Windows 98, and all I can say is BLUE! But who doesn't like BLUE? A very pretty color! But I got to admit the whole screen every few days was a bit much…

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hatsoff said:
Macs are better than PCs
This is an opinion. The truth of the matter is that each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.
Macs can run OS X, Windows, and Linux. Other PCs are limited in that they can't run OS X or any Mac software. How can anyone argue that PCs are better than Macs if Macs can do everything other PCs can do and more?

If you like OS X best, by all means use it. Most people prefer Windows XP, which is fine, too.
Most Windows XP users have never used a non-Windows operating system, and most have never even seen Mac OS X, let alone used it for any significant period of time. They use Windows because "everyone else" does. It's not based on a decision or comparison, it's just the default.

Personally, I can't stand OS X.
Why?

When did you own a Mac?

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
hatsoff said:
And Vista? Well, it's still in beta stages. Let's not rush to judgment.
Tell that to the beta testers themselves.

"I have been testing Microsoft operating systems since Windows 95, and this is the buggiest OS I've seen this late in development," says Joe Wilcox​