Windows Vista Beta 2 Plagued by Bugs

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wonder if the new version of Windows will ever hit the market?

What began as a murmur a few months back is turning into an audible grumble, as beta testers and experts question the stability of the latest Windows Vista beta and Microsoft itself hints at yet another release delay.

Testers and pundits alike say Vista Beta 2, released publicly in June, is plagued by bugs and blue screens. Some testers are saying a Beta 3 cycle, which is not planned, may be needed and that the software isn't ready for final testing before shipment, which Microsoft calls Release Candidate 1 (RC1).

Microsoft said two weeks ago that RC1 of Vista would ship before the end of September.

"I have been testing Microsoft operating systems since Windows 95, and this is the buggiest OS I've seen this late in development," says Joe Wilcox

full story

Evoken

Since I am a Mac lover, I am planning on getting a 20" iMac soon. My previous 15" iMac became too limited for what I do (graphic and web design), so I had to switch to a PC I have until I can afford a new Mac.

To be honest I have had no problems with Windows and my PC works beautifully. I have great hopes for Windows Vista and I am not really paying attention to the critics who are always detracting Microsoft. I say, let Microsoft release Vista and then give your opinion about it.

OS X is of course a vastly superior system than Windows, and Leopard will propbably surpass anything Microsoft does with Vista. But I think that people exagerate the flaws and bugs Windows has and make it sound as if OS X has not flaws or weaknesses.

Valz

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Valz said:
I say, let Microsoft release Vista and then give your opinion about it.
When the product has been delayed for years (who knows if it will ever be released?) and Microsoft's own beta testers are saying it's the buggiest software they have ever tested this late in the development I think there is plenty of reason to mock the product. :mock: Microsoft.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Ya know what really kills me???

The other day I went out to buy a copy of Windows XP so I could load it on my Intel iMac and I was shocked to find the product retailed for $199 :shocked:. Are you kidding me???? Selling a crappy five year old OS for almost twice what a new version of MacOS sells for???

Come on Microsoft get with the program!!!

One Eyed Jack

Knight said:
When the product has been delayed for years (who knows if it will ever be released?) and Microsoft's own beta testers are saying it's the buggiest software they have ever tested this late in the development I think there is plenty of reason to mock the product. :mock: Microsoft.

To be fair, it's also the largest version of Windows Microsoft has yet produced, but then again, this is true for pretty much every version of Windows that's come out so far.

One Eyed Jack

Knight said:
Ya know what really kills me???

The other day I went out to buy a copy of Windows XP so I could load it on my Intel iMac and I was shocked to find the product retailed for $199 :shocked:. Are you kidding me???? Selling a crappy five year old OS for almost twice what a new version of MacOS sells for???

Come on Microsoft get with the program!!!

Go to TigerDirect, buy an IDE cable or some similarly cheap computer component, and you can get the OEM version for a lot less.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One Eyed Jack said:
To be fair, it's also the largest version of Windows Microsoft has yet produced, but then again, this is true for pretty much every version of Windows that's come out so far.
What do you mean "largest version"?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One Eyed Jack said:
Go to TigerDirect, buy an IDE cable or some similarly cheap computer component, and you can get the OEM version for a lot less.
I realize that, as you can with other software products but the point is don't you think the retail price is a bit ridiculous for such an old product?

One Eyed Jack

Knight said:
I realize that, as you can with other software products but the point is don't you think the retail price is a bit ridiculous for such an old product?

I don't really consider its age a factor, as long as modern hardware ships with working drivers. Sure, the price is a little high, but buying the OEM version along with a cheap computer component can cut the price almost in half, which is a lot more reasonable.

Carpaint

BANNED
Banned
Knight said:
. Some testers are saying a Beta 3 cycle, which is not planned, may be needed and that the software isn't ready for final testing before shipment
thats "inconceivable"

patman

Knight said:
Bill isn't rich for nothing, eh?

I am a Mac user too, I have enjoyed my break from errors viruses and 'dumb' problems I experienced daily on Windows.

After Tiger, and considering the years of working on Vista from the ground up, I thought Microsoft might have a stable for once.

Then I found out they STILL are keeping the registry and have lost all confidence in Microsoft... That just opens a whole can of worms in my mind.

ANYWAY, Knight, what problems have you heard about in Vista?

patman

Carpaint said:
Thats it im going back to 3.1 :baby:
Don't worry.

All will be well with Windows Vista Second Edition SP4 PLUS+.

3.1 will emulate right on top of W.V.SE SP4+! :idea:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One Eyed Jack said:
Isn't Vista 64-bit? I don't think mainstream computer users are ready for that yet.

Valz said:
I believe that it is both 32 and 64 bit.
Actually, it is either 32- or 64-bit; users will have to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit versions when they buy. For the 64-bit platform, there may be a lack of driver support, particularly hardware that users already own. Meanwhile, high-definition content will not be playable on the 32-bit platform because of Windows' security flaws. So Windows users will be between a rock and a hard place.

Additionally, there will be seven editions of Vista to choose from. From what I've read, the disc will be the same regardless of which edition you buy, but certain features will be locked out. If you try to use those features, you will be prompted to "upgrade" your license.

Meanwhile, one version of Mac OSX supports both 32-bit and 64-bit hardware and applications at the same time. And since Apple manufactures the hardware too, users don't have to worry about drivers not existing when they upgrade their OS. (Yet there is still plenty of support for third-party hardware components.)

Typically when Windows releases a new OS, most users need to buy new hardware to run it, and the transition to Vista looks to be the worst yet in that regard. As long as you're buying a new computer that can run Vista, you might as well buy one that can also run OS X and iLife, too. (And you won't have to wait over a half-decade for new releases on the OS X side.)

Valz said:
Leopard will propbably surpass anything Microsoft does with Vista.
Tiger already does. Virtually every new feature touted in Vista is something that is already present in OS X, and often OS X's execution is far better (glaring example: Flip-3D vs. Exposé). Plus, Tiger is actually available whereas Vista is still (at least) several months away.