ECT Why two towers = failure preterism fails.

Interplanner

Was the temple made with human hands destroyed?

Was Jesus raised from the dead in three days?
days.”

What did Jesus say that made these guys say what they did?

btw, the 'without hands' expression comes from Daniel. The whole NT scene is charged with the arrival of the things Daniel said would happen.

Interplanner

You don't believe that for a second.

As I usually say, Must, I'm a historian first. Actually: that the Bible is history first, then theology. There is not enough fixed definition of preterism to say "I agree." However, the events of 66-73 in Judea are the desolation of Israel in Mt24A etc.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
btw, the 'without hands' expression comes from Daniel. The whole NT scene is charged with the arrival of the things Daniel said would happen.

Yes, I know.

Daniel made it clear that the stone cut out of the mountain not with human hands would destroy the statue, and then becomes a huge mountain that fills the whole earth.

Darby followers have to claim this is a future event, or their Dispensationalism falls apart.

The passage makes it clear that this happens during the time of the four kingdoms (represented by the statue).

Rome was the fourth kingdom (fourth beast). That's when the kingdom was set up. That's when the stone not made with human hands crushed the four kingdoms and set up a mountain that became huge and filled the whole earth.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As I usually say, Must, I'm a historian first. Actually: that the Bible is history first, then theology. There is not enough fixed definition of preterism to say "I agree." However, the events of 66-73 in Judea are the desolation of Israel in Mt24A etc.

mysteryboy can't have that.

It completely destroys his "age of grace" theory.

He not only has to try and make the Bible fit Darby's false teachings, he has to deny history.

Such is life, when one decides to be a follower of John Nelson Darby.

Interplanner

mysteryboy can't have that.

It completely destroys his "age of grace" theory.

He not only has to try and make the Bible fit Darby's false teachings, he has to deny history.

Such is life, when one decides to be a follower of John Nelson Darby.

Yes, indeed. I corrected the title back at #1. Sorry for confusion.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mark 14:57-59 KJV
(57) And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,
(58) We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.
(59) But neither so did their witness agree together.

John 2:18-21 KJV
(18) Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
(19) Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
(20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
(21) But he spake of the temple of his body.

Jesus never said that if the temple building was destroyed, He would raise it up in three days.
The guys in Mark 14 got it wrong.

Interplanner

Mark 14:57-59 KJV
(57) And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,
(58) We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands.
(59) But neither so did their witness agree together.

John 2:18-21 KJV
(18) Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
(19) Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
(20) Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
(21) But he spake of the temple of his body.

Jesus never said that if the temple building was destroyed, He would raise it up in three days.

Yes, they had the problem of realizing what a person meant when saying that HE HIMSELF would be the temple! There is a name for this problem, but it escapes me at the moment...

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Yes, I know.

It was never His intent to raise up Herod's temple in three days.

Yes, I know.

They didn't understand what He meant. They were close, but missed the point (which unfortunately, I think you are too)

Jesus knew He would rise from the grave in three days. He also knew that the temple would be destroyed in 70AD.

In John 2, the Jews demanded a sign.

In retrospect, the unbelieving Jews got their sign in 70AD.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, I know.

It was never His intent to raise up Herod's temple in three days.

Yes, I know.

They didn't understand what He meant. They were close, but missed the point (which unfortunately, I think you are too)

Jesus knew He would rise from the grave in three days. He also knew that the temple would be destroyed in 70AD.

In John 2, the Jews demanded a sign.

In retrospect, the unbelieving Jews got their sign in 70AD.

Matthew 12:39-40 KJV
(39) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
(40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Danoh

(39) But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
(40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Will you please stop posting Scripture clearly showing that 70AD was NOT a sign from God!

You and Musti - Sheesh!

:chuckle:

musterion

As I usually say, Must, I'm a historian first.

No you're not. You say Christ uttered figures of speech when He didn't, just to defend the teachings of a Catholic. You're an evil fool with zero self awareness, and SO stupid you think we're too stupid to notice.

Oh, and your thread title? Wasn't a typo and you know it. You really are that stupid. Dunning-Kruger level stupid.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Will you please stop posting Scripture clearly showing that 70AD was NOT a sign from God!

(Luke 21:7) “Teacher,” they asked, “when will these things happen? And what will be the sign that they are about to take place?”

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Still waiting for one of you Darby followers to tell us if Luke 21:5-6 was fulfilled in 70AD?

(Luke 21:5-6) Some of his disciples were remarking about how the temple was adorned with beautiful stones and with gifts dedicated to God. But Jesus said, 6 “As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Once again, you miss the point.

(John 4:54) This was the second sign Jesus performed after coming from Judea to Galilee.