ECT Why the NT refers to the promise as one/singular

Interplanner

'What God promised our fathers...' Acts 13

'you were...foreigners to the covenants of the promise...' Eph 2

'you now share in together in the promise in Christ Jesus.' Eph 3

'that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit.' Gal 3

'you are...heirs according to the promise.' Gal 4

What was promised Israel often gets referred to as singular, reduced down to one thing. That one thing is Christ and His Spirit, which are one. That also automatically means the mission of Christ. To say anything about Christ, on this side of the Gospel event, is to automatically have a mission, because God was in Christ remitting the debt of sins of humanity.

The important thing is that the whole notion of promise to Israel must be seen this was--as it is in Acts. It starts in 1:8, where trying to figure out a civic, theocratic kingdom for Israel is exploded and replaced with the power of the Spirit (as I said, Christ and his Spirit are one).

It continues in 13 where Israel is admonished to preach Christ and is said to be the light of the world in doing so, in Christ. The quote from Isaiah is there because Paul the Christian always taught that there was a new destiny for Israel expressed as early as the exile warnings. The government of this new form of kingdom would be on the shoulders of the Messiah.

It continues in Rom 10, 11 where he prods Israel to be missionaries. He says so. He's trying provoke them. Because in the gifts of Messiah to mankind, says Ps 68, the Lord 'gave the word and there was a multitude of preachers.' That is what Rom 9-11 is about, not a prediction of some separate Davidic theocracy all over again.

It is also found in an afterword in Acts 26 where Paul reflects that 'we did not teach anything beyond what we were permitted from the prophets: that Christ would suffer and the nations would hear his Gospel.'

You will NEVER hear the NT say 'oh, don't forget, there is also a separate land promise thingie out there just for the nation of Israel, two.'

Christ and his mission are the fulfillment of the promise.

Jerry Shugart

What was promised Israel often gets referred to as singular, reduced down to one thing.

Why do you not say anything about the promises which the LORD made?:

"Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers"
(Ro.15:8).​

Of course you do not believe that this promise which the LORD made to the house of Israel and to the house of Judah will ever be fulfilled:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness"
(Jer.33:14-16).​

Interplanner

Why do you not say anything about the promises which the LORD made?:

"Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises made unto the fathers"
(Ro.15:8).​

Of course you do not believe that this promise which the LORD made to the house of Israel and to the house of Judah will ever be fulfilled:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness"
(Jer.33:14-16).​

I can answer that Jerry:
1, I said often. "Often" in the dictionary means not always but majority
2, As you can see from the promises mentioned in Rom 15, its the ones that the Gentiles can also enjoy that matter. (This was being written when the land of Israel was about as destitute and scorched as they get). He did not mean the land. He meant the Spirit, the fellowship of believers, the Gospel, the NHNE.
3, The Jer passage about the Lord our Righteousness is the theme of Rom 3, and in Hebrews its gifts are for all and not about the land because they are universal. That's why Heb ends up relegating the land as not even what was promised to the patriarchs and dwelling on the unshakeable kingdom and on the New Jerusalem.

Try to keep up. The NHNE will be the home of righteousness. there is no indication that this is to be in modern Judea in this life, on this earth.

Bradley D

The Holy Spirit is a promise that contains many blessings.

"...and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise belongs to you and to your children and to all who are far off, to all whom the Lord our God will call to Himself” (Acts 2:38-39).

Danoh

"...and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise belongs to you and to your children and to all who are far off, to all whom the Lord our God will call to Himself” (Acts 2:38-39).

Daniel 9:7 O LORD, righteousness belongeth unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and unto all Israel, that are near, and that are far off, through all the countries whither thou hast driven them, because of their trespass that they have trespassed against thee.

Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Last edited:

Interplanner

Thanks BD:
I have failed to mention: the use of the (singular) promise in this passage is as close as you can get to what Gal 3 meant when it said that the promise of the Spirit was the all-inclusive meaning of the promise to Israel. I believe most of us are not seeing that the Messianic age was anticipated as a time when the Spirit of God would use "Israel" mightily to wake up the world. That was much more of the expectation than anything else, definitely more than the land promise or a monarchy.

SaulToPaul 2

Thanks BD:
I have failed to mention: the use of the (singular) promise in this passage is as close as you can get to what Gal 3 meant when it said that the promise of the Spirit was the all-inclusive meaning of the promise to Israel. I believe most of us are not seeing that the Messianic age was anticipated as a time when the Spirit of God would use "Israel" mightily to wake up the world. That was much more of the expectation than anything else, definitely more than the land promise or a monarchy.

Why do you think the word "promise" in the NT is always referring to the same thing?

Interplanner

Many times the NT is collective on these things. When it says 'this confirmed the promise' it does not mean ONE of the promises and start us on a mystery hunt as to which one. It means the whole as now viewed by Christ/apostles after all the history that is under the bridge.

It does not mean 'let's go back to the 7th century exile and pick up where that left off and just totally ignore everything else that happened since then--especially that destruction of Israel of the 1st century.' It's sense is the opposite.

Otherwise passages like Acts 13 on the destiny and 'fulfillment' of God about the things promised will make no sense. Paul's sermon there shows he intended to make Israel's history meaningful. The resurrection does just that.

SaulToPaul 2

Many times the NT is collective on these things. When it says 'this confirmed the promise' it does not mean ONE of the promises and start us on a mystery hunt as to which one. It means the whole as now viewed by Christ/apostles after all the history that is under the bridge.

:rotfl:

What unbelief...

SaulToPaul 2

It does not mean 'let's go back to the 7th century exile and pick up where that left off and just totally ignore everything else that happened since then--especially that destruction of Israel of the 1st century.' It's sense is the opposite.

Otherwise passages like Acts 13 on the destiny and 'fulfillment' of God about the things promised will make no sense. Paul's sermon there shows he intended to make Israel's history meaningful. The resurrection does just that.

Dude, you've got to put down the commentaries.
They have gotten you to the point where you don't know if you're coming or going. Seriously.

Interplanner

In Acts 26:6, we see that the singular promise is closely tied to the hope which is also singular, and that it has come. and the re-use of the phrase 'promised to the fathers' like ch 13's. So it is quite clear that what Christ already did was the thing (singular) promised and fulfilled.

There is no fine print, no complicating lines about the land all over again.

Danoh

In Acts 26:6, we see that the singular promise is closely tied to the hope which is also singular, and that it has come. and the re-use of the phrase 'promised to the fathers' like ch 13's. So it is quite clear that what Christ already did was the thing (singular) promised and fulfilled.

This concerning Israel's Twelve Tribe's Resurrection Hope...

Acts 23:6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question. 23:7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided. 23:8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.

And this concerning said Twelve Tribe's Resurrection Hope...

Acts 26:4 My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; 26:5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. 26:6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers: 26:7 Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews. 26:8 Why should it be thought a thing incredible with you, that God should raise the dead?

Is referring to this Twelve Tribe's Resurrection Hope...

Matthew 22:23 The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, 22:24 Saying, Master, Moses said, If a man die, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother. 22:25 Now there were with us seven brethren: and the first, when he had married a wife, deceased, and, having no issue, left his wife unto his brother: 22:26 Likewise the second also, and the third, unto the seventh. 22:27 And last of all the woman died also. 22:28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her. 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

Which is this concerning said Twelve Tribe's Resurrection Hope...

Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 19:29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. 19:30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

This here concerning said Twelve Tribe's Resurrection Hope...

Luke 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out. 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God. 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

SaulToPaul 2

Context determines what "the promise" is referring to, not your commentaries.

Interplanner

Christ was the hope, and fulfilled it. His message automatically becomes a mission, which is also the fulfillment of what was promised.

There is no promise about the land of Israel that matters for any reason. Everything is complete and unified, and coherent in the above 'fulfillment within a fulfillment'.