Why I love divorce

God's Truth

The only thing that causes me great pains are idiots like you thinking they are some sort of authority on anything.

You are an unlearned fool and should keep your mouth shut as scripture requires.

Not to mention you are quite the blasphemer.

It pains me to see someone bear false witness against my Lord.

Just believe and obey.

Matthew 19:9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Luke 16:18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matthew 5:32 NASB
but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt. 5:32; 19:9; Mark 10:11; 1 Cor. 7:10, 11

HisServant

Just believe and obey.

Matthew 19:9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery."

Luke 16:18 "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

Matt. 5:32; 19:9; Mark 10:11; 1 Cor. 7:10, 11

Sorry, not obeying a blasphemer! Anyone can cobble verses together to make them say anything they want like you do.

And an idiot that bares false witness against the Lord.

You really need to repent and ask for forgiveness.

HisServant

Its time to treat you as scripture requires of me.

Dealing With False Teachers

14Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. 15Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. 16Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. 17Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18who have departed from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some. 19Nevertheless, God’s solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.”

20In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. 21Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.

22Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Good bye.

God's Truth

Sorry, not obeying a blasphemer! Anyone can cobble verses together to make them say anything they want like you do.

And an idiot that bares false witness against the Lord.

You really need to repent and ask for forgiveness.

Too bad that you feel that way.

God's Truth

That scripture says that if a husband divorces his wife and she marries another---she commits ADULTERY.

Now how is it that if a man divorces his wife she is an adulterer if she remarries? Because that is what Jesus says!

If the husband divorced her because she committed adultery---then the husband did NOT MAKE HER AN ADULTERER BECAUSE SHE WAS ALREADY ONE.

Seems if ones spouse committed adultery, one is free to remarry. Also if a non believer leaves, the believer is free to remarry. (not bound)

1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

If an unbeliever leaves, we are not bound---but we are STILL NOT TO REMARRY.

If the unbeliever comes back we can still take them back.

1 Corinthians 7:10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.
Then we have this:

1 Timothy 5:8 Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Exceptions are given, and those who deny that, cant read.

There is no changing God's Truth...we are not to remarry for any reason except for death of a spouse; and, we are not to marry a divorced person.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Seems if ones spouse committed adultery, one is free to remarry. Also if a non believer leaves, the believer is free to remarry. (not bound)

1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

If an unbeliever leaves, we are not bound---but we are STILL NOT TO REMARRY.

If the unbeliever comes back we can still take them back.

1 Corinthians 7:10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

If the unbeliever leaves, the abandoned believer need not fight to get them back. God has not called us to bondage (1 Co 7:15). In our time Christians are in an improved situation--they used the just murder the new convert in a home.

Adulterers break the oneness relationship (1 Co 6:16). The believer is not required to take on all of the venereal diseases :granite: that aforementioned adulterer may bring
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
home.
animated-smileys-housekeeping-167.gif

All that God promotes leads to live and good, healthy living. All that the devil and his children promote (Jn 8:44) leads to: theft, murder and destruction (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10).

See:

Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

God's Truth

If the unbeliever leaves, the abandoned believer need not fight to get them back. God has not called us to bondage (1 Co 7:15). In our time Christians are in an improved situation--they used the just murder the new convert in a home.

Adulterers break the oneness relationship (1 Co 6:16). The believer is not required to take on all of the venereal diseases :granite: that aforementioned adulterer may bring
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
home.
animated-smileys-housekeeping-167.gif

All that God promotes leads to live and good, healthy living. All that the devil and his children promote (Jn 8:44) leads to: theft, murder and destruction (Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10).

See:

Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

Are you agreeing with me or do you think you have disproved something that I said?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Are you agreeing with me or do you think you have disproved something that I said?

I think we agree. Reconciliation is encouraged (1 Cor. 7:10–17) but who would want that and all of those creatures with that :granite: back in the marital bed? Deut 24:4, Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10 :shocked:

crabby-crab-smiley-emoticon.gif

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Agreed... then there is the issue that the culture and practice of marriage and divorce was very different back then.
Exactly.

As serious students of the Bible we must endeavor to find out what a particular verse meant during the time it was written and not assume its meaning perfectly coheres with our modern times.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." --J.P. Hartley

Interplanner

Any person reading I Cor 7 several times will really only notice one thing different: the role of fathers in granting marriage. Otherwise there is another difference but it doesn't have to do with marriage per se. It is that the end of the world was expected so soon, that Paul didn't think there was much point (and maybe a lot of grief--not conflict with each other, but grief of loss) because the end of the world was so soon.

HisServant

Exactly.

As serious students of the Bible we must endeavor to find out what a particular verse meant during the time it was written and not assume its meaning perfectly coheres with our modern times.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." --J.P. Hartley

Things that were different that I currently know of.

1.) Jesus was primarily speaking to Jews and was responding to questions from Jews when it came to marriage.. Jews who were still bound to the Old Covenant at the time. Are Christians bound to the same covenant?

2.) Paul and the Apostles were speaking to Christians and taught very differently about marriage.. who takes precedence if we say all scripture is equally inspired?

3.) Women could not initiate divorce at all back then.

4.) Men did not always divorce their wives.. there was the custom of putting away a wife which was pretty fraudulent.

5.) Men had multiple wives back then. It was common among first century Christians too.. hence we have the restriction on elders only having one wife.

Its a tangled mess.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Things that were different that I currently know if.

1.) Jesus was primarily speaking to Jews and was responding to question from Jews when it came to marriage.. Jews who were still bound to the Old Covenant at the time. Are Christians bound to the same covenant?
The Jesus I see is one who would have clearly rejected the Gentiles. He clearly indicated his mission was only to "the House of Israel." He mocked the Gentiles and called them "dogs." I see it as up to the individual believer as to whether to decide their relationship with the "Old Covenant."

Most of Jesus' unique teachings are found in the Hebrew Bible and were a necessary part of Judean tradition and history.

2.) Paul and the Apostles were speaking to Christians and taught very differently about marriage.. who takes precedence if we say all scripture is equally inspired?
This depends on how one reads Paul, since his cultural pronouncements are contradictory. I think this has to do with ignoring his actual letters where the radical Paul holds forth and by preferencing those letters which are forgeries.

3.) Women could not initiate divorce at all back then.
I am not sure this is true. It seems to me that I remembered a different history as Elaine Pagels has documented, but I could be wrong. One thing that sticks in my mind would be that it was always the man who could initiate a divorce, simply because the Christian notion is that patriarchy is mandated from God.

4.) Men did not always divorce their wives.. there was the custom of putting away a wife which was pretty fraudulent.
That's interesting; I have never heard that before.

5.) Men had multiple wives back then. It was common among first century Christians too.. hence we have the restriction on elders only having one wife.
David, Solomon and other famous Jewish/Christian patriarchs are granted the right to have more than one wife.

Its a tangled mess.
I agree--I have found the whole matter much more complicated than most Christians will admit.

HisServant

I agree--I have found the whole matter much more complicated than most Christians will admit.

Hence there are quite a few long books written on the subject and they rarely agree.

I think God asks us to be long suffering and always try and do the right thing. Sometimes that does involve granting a spouse a divorce if they want one or decide to leave and not reconcile. He want's us to go above and beyond to reconcile the issues and even pay more than is required. He also asks us to live in peace with one another and sometimes that is impossible.

God's Truth

Hence there are quite a few long books written on the subject and they rarely agree.

I think God asks us to be long suffering and always try and do the right thing. Sometimes that does involve granting a spouse a divorce if they want one or decide to leave and not reconcile. He want's us to go above and beyond to reconcile the issues and even pay more than is required. He also asks us to live in peace with one another and sometimes that is impossible.

Jesus says do not remarry and do not marry someone who has been divorced.

HisServant

But these people blaspheme all that they do not understand, and they are destroyed by all that they, like unreasoning animals, understand instinctively. 11 Woe to them! For they walked in the way of Cain and abandoned themselves for the sake of gain to Balaam’s error and perished in Korah’s rebellion. 12 These are hidden reefs at your love feasts, as they feast with you without fear, shepherds feeding themselves; waterless clouds, swept along by winds; fruitless trees in late autumn, twice dead, uprooted; 13 wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame; wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

The history of how Christians have interpreted, changed and believed about divorce and marriage is full of diverse opinions.