Not open for further replies.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...9&postcount=28

So fighting evil is not practical. Hmmmm.

DUHHH? :doh:

I. SAID. IT. MUST. BE. DONE. IN. OTHER. WAYS.

But it's a given when fighting the abortion aspect of the sexual anarchy movement (even amongst the pagans and atheists on here that are anti abortion) that righteous laws are needed.

Why is homosexuality the 'sacred cow' that can't be touched by legislating righteous laws?

Heterodoxical

Controversial claims require strong proofs.

But this issue is not so simple:

Was 'σκύβαλον' (skubalon) profanity?

@swasheck - If i'm not mistaken this term is a hapax legomina, * so exactly, contemporaries to Paul as well as context will be needed. Its been a while, but my last look into this revealed that the word was used typically in a derogatory sense. Perhaps another matter that someone could take up would be what other options did Paul/God have to use in penning this concept, and choosing this word. – Jesse Ledbetter Aug

----------

...Greek Lexicon, I was able to find that this same word is used in the Septuagint (LXX). This passage makes it seem that it is not offensive (Ecclesiasticus – Sirach):
27:4 As when one sifteth with a sieve, the refuse remaineth; so the filth of man in his talk.
27:4 ἐν σεισματι κοσκινου διαμενει κοπρια οὑτως σκυβαλα ἀνθρωπου ἐν λογισμω αὐτου
The word means excrement or dung, which are polite and respectable words for offensive things which people, when bitterly cursing in anger, naturally refer to.

To make the case that Paul uses profanity, or even a word that would offend others, would require more examples with more positive proof, especially considering that Paul opposes profanity:
Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4 ESV)
Paul also emphasised avoiding things that offend a brother, like meat sacrificed to idols (1 Corinthians 8:13). Therefore it is difficult to imagine he broke his own rule publicly, especially in a writing to the churches. For Paul to use a crude or offensive word would then be out of line with Paul's own imperatives.

If Paul had used offensive language, he would have detracted from the argument that he was making. What Paul was saying is that righteousness based on the law was a human work that needs to be expelled with absolute prejudice, naturally lending itself to the concept of human waste. Indeed, in his mind righteousness by works was to be expelled from the body and put somewhere disgusting without touching it with one's hands. He intended to make one feel righteousness of the law as loathsome. To bring attention to himself by a obscene or offensive word would detract from the shock of the idea that everything we do in dedication to God, if without faith, is disgusting. The reason why he searches for an idea so revolting, like human waste, is because he wants the reader to understand how necessary the free gift of salvation through Christ's atonement is. Everything else must be expelled into a toilet. In this way inoffensive words present a clear, possibly offensive, doctrine.

To be thorough, I looked up the word in arguably the most famous, exhaustive and academically authoritative book on biblical Greek definitions. Here is what I found in his final conclusion after many pages of evaluating many references in Greek writings:
The two elements in σκύβαλον, namely, worthlessness and filth, are best expressed by a term like “dung.” (Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, Gerhard Kittel, Volume 7, 447)

So it seems that once again, the less modern translators were
not just being prudish, but were reflecting accurately the historical usage
of this Greek word, namely that it was not a piece of crude profanity,
but rather an ordinary word the ancient Greeks.

It was apparently unremarkable to early readers and teachers,
since no one brought any charge of profanity or lewdness against Paul
over this word, among the ancient Greek commentators or their opponents.

Our distance from ancient Greek usage enables opponents of the Bible
to give such arguments a degree of plausibility by taking opportunity
of current widespread ignorance of ancient Greek.

According to current scholarship, Heterodoxial's claim is both
non-historical and implausible.

Paul did not use profanity, while teaching against using it.

* hapax legomina, * - a word which only appears once in a text, or so rarely that some doubt as to its meaning arises.
The meaning for such words can be deduced by its usage in other documents or its translation by ancient writers into other languages.
It can also be nuanced by its context and the habitual thinking and expression of an author.

There are very few hapax legomina which give real trouble among the Biblical texts.
99% of them are limited to fauna and flora indigenous to the Middle East which
may now be extinct or may have migrated or changed habitats over millenia.
These however almost never significantly alter the text, and usually
a more familiar animal or local species will be substituted for clarity or sense.

Thus, we would have deserts becoming a habitat for 'jackals', or
a 'Cedar tree' in the translation, when the exact species of scavenger or tree
referenced by a prophet or narrator might be uncertain tpday.

The author uses limited resources, and bases his position on circular reasoning. :p)

You posted one man's opinion. How many do you want that deal with the other position?

This guys argument is, The word can't mean an obscene word because it would be obscene...

Considering this was the same man that said he wishes his most hated enemies, theologically, would cut and mangle their genitals because of their disagreements.... what is so difficult to accept?

Until you go find the OPPOSING arguments and compare them, all you have is you searching for an eisegetical proof for your presuppositions.

Until you do that other leg work, I appreciate your opinion and your view.

Now, go find a verse that says saying a WORD like that is wrong.
They all say LOGOS in a reference to a message of words, not a single word. The examples are broad, libel slander lies etc....

People have a tendency to focus on sin and end up making up sins so they think they can do something good to impress god. OF COURSE they won't say that is what they are doing, they don't realize it. But the last part of Colossians 2 is the warning from Paul to them.

GFR7

Quote:

But it's a given when fighting the abortion aspect of the sexual anarchy movement (even amongst the pagans and atheists on here that are anti abortion) that righteous laws are needed.

Why is homosexuality the 'sacred cow' that can't be touched by legislating righteous laws?
It is not a sacred cow. It's that vast lobbies and social forces of liberals and federal judges have allowed it to expand and prosper and victor in a manner which cannot be reversed as easily as abortion. No one can really ever "celebrate" abortion: They call it being "pro-choice." But the gay identity is embraced and celebrated. Even Brian Brown has said the fight has to be on shifted ground.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
If you had a ounce of common sense you'd know that MSM is inherently unhealthy (to be blunt, the anal sphincter muscle wasn't meant to be used as a sex object.).

If you had ONE ounce of truth, you would admit if that was your motivation, the health of others, you'd want straight people's anal sex attempts outlawed too.

Since you only want homosexuality outlawed, be a friggin man and own that your beef is with homosexuals not with the health issues of anal sex

If you go back a dozen or so pages you'll see a post where I wrote that "the anus is to homosexuality what the vagina is to the heterosexuality."
You'll also see in that post that women don't contract anal cancer nearly as much as men do (homosexual men disproportionately contract it). Life just isn't faaaaaair for those that engage in same sex buggery is it?

Keep in mind as well that the health issue is only one reason for recriminalizing homosexual behavior. The physical, mental and spiritual molestation of children; the intolerance against anyone that speaks out against the lifestyle or movement, the amount of violence within the homosexual lifestyle (which I will return to that segment shortly); and redefining society's most precious institutions are several reasons why homosexuality MUST be recriminalized.

Since you cant' be honest enough to admit that, we all have to look at you and pretend you aren't a KKK type bigot with an agenda, and act like we give a crap and reason with your bigoted attacks.

I'm honest enough to admit when I'm wrong and back off. Are you honest enough to admit you are a bigot and it's not about health, you just seek excuses to bash gay folk?

Thanks for reminding me, I need to pick up my white hood at the cleaners.

Quote:
In case you didn't see my above remark: the anal sphincter muscle wasn't meant to be penetrated, i.e. used as a sex object (whether it's being abused by one homosexual or a hundred). When that happens, bad things will happen to the human body.

But you are only concerned about bad things that happen to the homosexual community. That's the only ones you wish to protect. And I assume that you have no problem with Lesbians, who aren't usually involving in anal sex.... I mean, you'd HAVE TO BE owning those two comments if your position that "you are a bigot for their health protection" was your real motivation.

Lesbos have their own health issues; check a few pages back where I posted that information (and I haven't even started a segment on homosexual promiscuity, disease and early death).

Quote:
Marriage? Yeah, let's allow a bunch of drag queens, fairies, dykes and the North American Man Boy Love Association into society's most important institution. Surely that will help the institution of marriage.

NAMBLA is pedophila, and most pedophiles are straight. Careful you'll hang yourself yet again.

North American Man Boy Love Association, founded by homosexual activist David Thorstad.

Nambla is shunned by the LGBT community too.

i.e. it's really bad PR to admit that queers like little boys. See the table of contents on why the homosexual movement doesn't allow NAMBLA to openly fly their colors at march of the moral degenerate parades.

The institution of marriage is friggin shot lONG before the lgbt community sued for legal marriage.

Why are you anti Christ on this topic?

Do you feel good being ANTI Christ?
==============

Thanks to the decriminalization of cohabitation laws, adultery and no-fault divorce, the institution of marriage took a hard hit. Again, do we want people whose "culture" is anonymous public restroom sex to "help" the institution of marriage?

Quote:
To my knowledge laws have never kept sinful/immoral behavior from happening, they just curtail it (i.e. they're done in the back alleyways of society. And please don't compare the marriage bed of a husband and wife with homosexual behavior).

Yes which led to coat hanger abortions, that you would make happen with abortion laws, and you'd think you were killing them with your laws and it was JUST. I get it.... :::ppfffttttt....

Yep, murder has always been done in alleyways, if you're caught you pay the penalty.

You are a bigot. You rant, rave, and don't reason. You are like a rabid dog running from water and trying to attack their owner.

I can see the lisp spraying from your mouth all over your computer's monitor Bruth. Try to calm down.

Quote:
The only thing we agree on is that you look simply mahhhhhvelous on a 'Gay' Christian float (By the way: where was the Adulterer Christian float?).

So, rather than reasoning, you go to personal attack. figures.

You are a special kind of idiot.

Need I remind you that you're the one that said that anyone who is against 'gay' marriage is "anti Christ"?

Again, you look mahhhhhvelous on the float princess.

Nazaroo

The author uses limited resources, and bases his position on circular reasoning. :p)

You posted one man's opinion. How many do you want that deal with the other position?

Your sloppy reading doesn't help.

In fact, the link is an open site that encourages anonymous posters and comments. I quoted a combination of opinions (the most credible) from the page, which presents comments from dozens of posters.

I suggest you read the full discussion including the various threads of comments.

You are probably welcome to contribute your own opinion as well.

However, they do edit posts, and delete non-scholarly and nonsensical comments.

This guys argument is, The word can't mean an obscene word because it would be obscene...

Considering this was the same man that said he wishes his most hated enemies, theologically, would cut and mangle their genitals because of their disagreements.... what is so difficult to accept?

I'm not sure that modern concepts like "obscene" are even relevant here.
Perhaps I've been influenced by the fact that in Canada,
the obsenity laws were struck down and removed from the
Canadian Criminal Code by homosexual lawyers in the 80s.

Maybe they were right that "obscene" is an artificial modern
'Christian/Enlightenment' concept related to gentrification.

Its not my area of expertise.

I probably don't care, except that it was a stepping-stone for
homosexual lawyers to have real criminal acts like sodomy legalized,
so that they could do those things to one another and to young boys
without being horse-whipped and put in jail, which was what
we used to do in Canada.

My view is that dangerous sexual perversions and corruption of youth
should remain regulated by law as criminal acts.

But returning to your apparent 'argument' that the reasoning is circular,
I have to disagree.
Although many Christians are indeed concerned about profanity,
I believe it is indeed mentioned rather clearly and explicitly in other
N.T. texts as sinful activity which is to be avoided.

You can make the presumption that Paul was self-contradictory
and/or hypocritical, but I think that rather the burden of proof
and the onus is on you to prove that claim.

Its not up to Christians to 'disprove' every slander or bogus claim
against Paul or other NT authors. There simply isn't time.

- - -

Angry/violent, and profane are two quite distinct personality traits.
Your smearing and blending doesn't contribute to intelligent discussion.

Hitler was not profane; he was quite discplined most of the time
in his writing and in his public expression, no matter how worked up
he got himself.

I only use this extreme illustration to prove the distinction.
And proving the distinction disproves your claim
that Paul's anger makes Paul's alleged 'profanity' likely.

Until you go find the OPPOSING arguments and compare them, all you have is you searching for an eisegetical [sic!] proof for your presuppositions.

Until you do that other leg work, I appreciate your opinion and your view.

As a scientist I don't believe in 'proofs' but rather probabilities.
I'm sorry to detect you've been brought up indoctrinated into scientism
rather than science.

Your thinking here is so muddled I'm having trouble following it.
Is English your 2nd language?

Now, go find a verse that says saying a WORD like that is wrong.
They all say LOGOS in a reference to a message of words, not a single word. The examples are broad, libel slander lies etc....

Are you rambling?
Just what side-argument are you opening here?
Do you want to discuss the translation of John 1:1?
You have completely lost me here,
and make me suspect you have been drinking.

People have a tendency to focus on sin and end up making up sins so they think they can do something good to impress god. OF COURSE they won't say that is what they are doing, they don't realize it. But the last part of Colossians 2 is the warning from Paul to them.

I don't want to impress God, and I am pretty aware that
impressing God is impossible by definition: He's omniscient.

I'm not familiar with Bible verses by number.
You'll have to quote if you want to be understood.

Heterodoxical

Quote:

It's not Christ's command for you to do so.
Nor is it God's.
Nor was it in the NT under Christ's church.
It's not your job.
It's God's Job.
What other jobs do you do for God?

Any examples of a NT doctrine to go and find a group you find in sin and attack them as you do the LGBT community? :)

There are none, but PLEASE humiliate yourself and make the effort to find some.

You are really a pathetic joke. hehehe it's hard to not just laugh.

BTW, if you are anti abortion, do you know what the NT says you are to do? To be involved with the people's lives so they don't get faced with the "to or not to" abort issue.

Not that you care. You'll do whatever feeds your domineering ego.

Why is it the ONLY sin that is targeted by BIGOTS FOR CHRIST and given so much angst and hate in God's name?

I wonder how hot the part of hell is that houses those doing hate mongering and claiming it's for God?

It's gonna be right next to the Islamic "martyrs" it's the exact same sort of behavior in the heart.....

That's what you are, Christian Taliban.....

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is not a sacred cow. It's that vast lobbies and social forces of liberals and federal judges have allowed it to expand and prosper and victor in a manner which cannot be reversed as easily as abortion. No one can really ever "celebrate" abortion: They call it being "pro-choice." But the gay identity is embraced and celebrated. Even Brian Brown has said the fight has to be on shifted ground.

"As easily as abortion"? Legal for 41 years, 57 million+ unborn babies murdered in the womb. Obviously it hasn't been that "easy" to recriminalize abortion.

And here's the reason why: I've shown throughout the 3 part thread that the homosexual and abortion movements are one in the same. You can't allow one to grow like an out of control cancer, and expect to defeat the other, as they're both part of the sexual anarchy movement.

SammyT

aCW, let's say we did recriminalize homosexual behavior...what would the penalty be? Would it be meted out in degrees or egalitarian-like?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaroo
Excuse me, are these brides? or just bridesmaids?

Is this a hoax?

Yes; it is a hoax.

This kind of posting of pictures irresponsibly without research accomplishes nothing good.

The little girls were not in fact the brides. They were family members of the brides or the grooms. This viral story was a complete fabrication.

Anyone who knows Muslim families and has been around the Muslim community (I was for 7 years in Pittsburgh and the University area there) knows that this kind of racist hate-mongering is the stuff of fantasy and wishful thinking.

My picture in an earlier post was intended to mock the (false) prophet Muhammad. You see my muzzie loving friend, "Mo" married a girl named "Aisha" when she was around 6 years old and consummated the marriage when she was the ripe old age of 9 ("Mo" was around 52).

th

I talked about the false religion of Islam for a short spell in an earlier thread (refer to the table of contents). You'll also find that there is a saying in certain parts of the Islamic world:

"Women are for breeding, boys are for pleasure". You'll see that while homosexuality is supposed to be condemned in the false religion of Islam, faggotry/pedastry/pedophilia is quite common because it is an "evolving" religion.

As far as underage marriage of little girls by muzzies:

Britain’s Underage Muslim Marriage Epidemic

Oct. 15, 2013

Forced marriage is probably the last form of slavery in the UK.” — Nazir Afzal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Northwest England.

More than a dozen Muslim clerics at some of the biggest mosques in Britain have been caught on camera agreeing to marry off girls as young as 14.

Undercover reporters filming a documentary about the prevalence of forced and underage marriage in Britain for the television program ITV Exposure secretly recorded 18 Muslim imams agreeing to perform an Islamic marriage, known as a nikah, between a 14-year-old girl and an older man.

Campaigners against forced marriage — which is not yet a crime in Britain — say thousands of underage girls — including some under the age of five — are being forced to marry against their will in Muslim nikahs every year, and that the examples exposed by the documentary represent just “the tip of the iceberg.”

Read more: http://counterjihadreport.com/tag/underage-marriage-in-islam-2/

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
aCW, let's say we did recriminalize homosexual behavior...what would the penalty be? Would it be meted out in degrees or egalitarian-like?

You couldn't go on overnight campouts with 12 year old Boy Scouts. I know, it's a pretty harsh penalty isn't it Sammmmmy?

GFR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaroo
Excuse me, are these brides? or just bridesmaids?

Is this a hoax?

My picture in an earlier post was intended to mock the (false) prophet Muhammad. You see my muzzie loving friend, "Mo" married a girl named "Aisha" when she was around 6 years old and consummated the marriage when she was the ripe old age of 9 ("Mo" was around 52).

th

I talked about the false religion of Islam for a short spell in an earlier thread (refer to the table of contents). You'll also find that there is a saying in certain parts of the Islamic world:

"Women are for breeding, boys are for pleasure". You'll see that while homosexuality is supposed to be condemned in the false religion of Islam, faggotry/pedastry/pedophilia is quite common because it is an "evolving" religion.

As far as underage marriage of little girls by muzzies:

Britain’s Underage Muslim Marriage Epidemic

Oct. 15, 2013

Forced marriage is probably the last form of slavery in the UK.” — Nazir Afzal, Chief Crown Prosecutor for Northwest England.

More than a dozen Muslim clerics at some of the biggest mosques in Britain have been caught on camera agreeing to marry off girls as young as 14.

Undercover reporters filming a documentary about the prevalence of forced and underage marriage in Britain for the television program ITV Exposure secretly recorded 18 Muslim imams agreeing to perform an Islamic marriage, known as a nikah, between a 14-year-old girl and an older man.

Campaigners against forced marriage — which is not yet a crime in Britain — say thousands of underage girls — including some under the age of five — are being forced to marry against their will in Muslim nikahs every year, and that the examples exposed by the documentary represent just “the tip of the iceberg.”

Read more: http://counterjihadreport.com/tag/underage-marriage-in-islam-2/
Thanks for this clarification. I understand more fully now.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Thanks for this clarification. I understand more fully now.

But but but "Anyone who knows Muslim families and has been around the Muslim community (I was for 7 years in Pittsburgh and the University area there) knows that this kind of racist hate-mongering is the stuff of fantasy and wishful thinking."

Want a little ketchup with your crow?

Heterodoxical

Your sloppy reading doesn't help.
as opposed to searching ONLY to find something that backs up your presuppositions instead of investigating both sides to actually have the information to make a decision. Why does your insult not hurt me much?

In fact, the link is an open site that encourages anonymous posters and comments.
OHHH a RED NECK version of offensive christians to be peer reviewed by other offensive christians... GOTCHA!

I quoted a combination of opinions (the most credible) from the page, which presents comments from dozens of posters.

So, you push opinions over research. Noted. You'd rather have other people tell you what to believe, than investigate it yourself and learn what you can so you know WHY you believe what you believe. CHECK! (we are different there.)

I suggest you read the full discussion including the various threads of comments.
I've spent about 60 hours one week on this one word alone, I'm not making a flippant guess at the meaning of the word. Until you present something substantial enough to make me go change some views..... and other people's opinions in a chat forum, isn't that big a deal to me. I read comments from people who spent a life studying the language and heads up bible translation teams, and other like sources.

You also have to factor out the tendency to eisegesis on this topic. After 800 years of "don't say those words" it becomes so common, even though it's not biblical it's accepted. THEN people have to go and justify their claims, which means they'll bend anything they can reach at to serve their purposes. Even trained professionals have such strong presuppositions they do that. Like the Greek word Sarx, or flesh. People insist it's the human body, and SOMETIMES IT IS! But not always. If it's not sometimes used as a metaphor for something, then you had walking skeletal Apostles. But someone loyal to king james, who always saw flesh will lean towards flesh even WITH the screwed up interpretations it causes people to have in other places...

There is a lot to consider on it. As I said, 60 Plus hours at least. I was arguing against a person who taught intro Greek at a So Cal school. So I had to be uber prepared compared to the usual chat room debate.

You are probably welcome to contribute your own opinion as well.
If you felt there was a need and that I needed to be there, I don't know you, but I would do it for you. There is no need there... not sure why I would bother entering a debate that is so heavily biased to use circular logic and think it's ok.

Since I can't determine your sincerity in learning, I'm going to assume the best. :) I don't know you after all and the skubalonish events I've experienced from others shouldn't affect me. Daniel Wallace, Dallas Baptist University, Scholar of New Testament Scholars, respected as one of the top TEN in the world of this generation by atheist and christian students of Koinonia Greek has his comments on the link HERE

DTS is known for being very conservative, southern baptist like in it's roots. Perhaps not AS FAR as southern baptist, but closer there than not. So, you should have some confidence with the background not making any liberal claims here. Oh, D. Wallace has literally written the text book most of the colleges use today for teaching Greek.

I hope that helps to give you enough thought to actually research the topic if you are going to voice an opinion on it. And I realize how crappy that sounds.... I dunno how to say it other wise, but it's not intended as a crappy comment.

I'm not sure that modern concepts like "obscene" are even relevant here.
Perhaps I've been influenced by the fact that in Canada,
the obsenity laws were struck down and removed from the
Canadian Criminal Code by homosexual lawyers in the 80s.

"christians" "hold to a higher standard" or as Paul puts it, makes up things that make them feel holy but are not even close to reality in the faith, and just give them false impressions of themselves. The word "CUSSING" is a bastardized (not a dirty word look it up.) version of Cursing. Cursing in NT Greek would be when you insult a person's name. You put a curse on them so others think less of them. That affects their lives in that culture. Of course that's just one example. The thought that saying one particular word would be a curse like that, is hilarious in context and syntax and grammar in Greek.

Don't you find it ironic every christian forum will kick you off for the S, D, H, F, words, but could care less if the real offenses that are repeated are committed, libel, slander, etc... It just speaks to the hypocrisy that has become standard in our faith. WHICH IS NOT condemning people to being hypocrites. If it's all they have ever heard and been taught, why would they even think to question it to learn better?

Maybe they were right that "obscene" is an artificial modern
'Christian/Enlightenment' concept related to gentrification.
That would be the word VULGAR more than obscene.... but... there is still some truth to it.

I probably don't care, except that it was a stepping-stone for
homosexual lawyers to have real criminal acts like sodomy legalized,
so that they could do those things to one another and to young boys
without being horse-whipped and put in jail, which was what
we used to do in Canada.

MOre heterosexual people are pedophiles than homosexual. If it condemns one sexual preference it condemns the other even more.

My view is that dangerous sexual perversions and corruption of youth
should remain regulated by law as criminal acts.
Raise your youth so they won't be corrupted. That's an easy one. Parent should be parents.

here's a newsflash though. You can't "turn a person gay". You might convince them to try a same sex experience, but you can't turn them gay. They no more choose to be gay, than you chose to be heterosexual. Just like you don't choose how many synapses your brain produces or beats your heart produce. Try me on this. But, I'd prefer to avoid distractions and hold that chat private. Of course you could run and show and tell to whomever, but the chat being private it would be uninterrupted and easier to track.

But returning to your apparent 'argument' that the reasoning is circular,
I have to disagree.
Are you sure about what circular reasoning is? The man said nearly point blank literally, Paul couldn't be cursing because Paul spoke against cursing and he doesn't contradict himself. That's circular reasoning, no matter what posture you want to take on the argument. To say otherwise would be like calling red, blue.

Although many Christians are indeed concerned about profanity,
I believe it is indeed mentioned rather clearly and explicitly in other
N.T. texts as sinful activity which is to be avoided.

I believe it isn't. I know it isn't. I'm willing to discuss them all with you. You'll discover they discuss THINGS you say about people, not words you say TO people.

You can make the presumption that Paul was self-contradictory
and/or hypocritical, but I think that rather the burden of proof
and the onus is on you to prove that claim.
Errr, your position has him being contradictory. I have no issue with him saying what he said....

Its not up to Christians to 'disprove' every slander or bogus claim
against Paul or other NT authors. There simply isn't time.

So you'll run and pretend that things dont' exist that you don't like and dismiss them rudely as slander or bogus claim? (libel technically but... I got the idea.)

Why let reality get in the way of a perfectly good fantasy, right? :) I get it. It's hard to have to change views you were taught as a child. What else could be wrong. It's scary. I'll tell you about that experience sometime if you wish too... 12 years of angst at the lies I was taught... was very frustrating for me.

- - -

Angry/violent, and profane are two quite distinct personality traits.
Your smearing and blending doesn't contribute to intelligent discussion.
My what? Show me some, please. Your empty accusations don't discredit me they merely make you appear to whine...?

Hitler was not profane; he was quite discplined most of the time
in his writing and in his public expression, no matter how worked up
he got himself.

I only use this extreme illustration to prove the distinction.
And proving the distinction disproves your claim
that Paul's anger makes Paul's alleged 'profanity' likely.
Ok, you can be in water and not be wet. I understand your position. Paul wanted to see people cut their walnuts up in pieces, but he wouldn't say a vulgar word for fecal waste in the streets.... I get it.... (I really don't, but I'm trying to be polite.) You'll forgive me for accepting Daniel Wallace's explanation over yours, right?

As a scientist I don't believe in 'proofs' but rather probabilities.

I'm assuming the word "scientist" is used loosely, even optimistically, as you have not shown a tendency to the schooling of hard logic. I taught the class, really, I can recognize it when I see it.

You may work in a place that does science, but I can't see you being a scientist actually doing and writing the summations of the work studied.... I could be wrong, am I?

I'm sorry to detect you've been brought up indoctrinated into scientism
rather than science.

I love it when someone who is wrong, and wants REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD to be right, resort to ad hominem posturing to support their claims. I'll stick to Wallace as one of MANY who's opinion is more expert than any thing you ahve produced, INCLUDING your scientifically sharpened, steel trap mind.

Since you resort to rambling insults here.. which is typical for this place, rather than discuss the points, I'm cutting my response short. It appears I gave you too much credit above. Sue me for being optimistic.

Lemme guess, you type the notes of the scientists who do the actual research...... right?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
You couldn't go on overnight campouts with 12 year old Boy Scouts. I know, it's a pretty harsh penalty isn't it Sammmmmy?

Not at all. What is your deal, man? Why the hostility?

Let's just say I'm a little suspicious of you from our dealings in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyT
From my observation, too much focus is put upon stopping homosexuals from engaging in counterfeit marriages, than building the institution of marriage itself back to what it once was.

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
How do you rebuild an institution if you continue to allow immoral legislation to remain?

The decriminalization of cohabitation laws and then no-fault divorce laws was the beginning of the downward slide for traditional marriage. Allowing homosexual moral degenerates to play house won't make the institution of marriage stronger.

Quote: Originally posted by SammyT
We have many obstacles, but we CAN move past every last one of said obstacles by getting back into the Word & drowning put the world. Stop letting your kids watch the cultural Marxist garbage on TV, when public schools are attempting to indoctrinate your children...Stand up & FIGHT!

Quote: Originally posted by aCutlureWarrior
Our culture is overrun with immoral messages. Do you think that prohibiting your children from watching television is the answer? (Someone needs to get out more).

Stop being weak folks, let's actually rebuild The Christian majority in America!

The scriptures tell us how to do this, all we need is the GUTS!

Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
The Scripture also tells us to legislate righteous laws. Why are you so afraid of using that part of Scripture Sam?
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3982358&postcount=11

The "Self Righteous Inquisator (with a serious lack of intellect)" would like to know why you're afraid of using legislation to control immoral behavior.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3982590&postcount=31

While you're here Samster, explain this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Liberty
Barring a really broad interpretation of the 9th amendment, I'd say no, the Constitution doesn't provide any such right. And I think making the 9th amendment that broad is dangerous. I'm with Ron Paul. Sodomy laws are a bad idea but its none of the Federal Government's business if a state decides to make one.

That said, as far as judicial activism goes, I've seen worse. Like Wickard v Filburn for instance.

Great points, CL. I agree with Dr. Paul on this as well.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3983426&postcount=24

Last edited:

Nazaroo

Lets start here:

Since I can't determine your sincerity in learning, I'm going to assume the best. :) I don't know you after all and the skubalonish events I've experienced from others shouldn't affect me.

I'm assuming the word "scientist" is used loosely, even optimistically, as you have not shown a tendency to the schooling of hard logic. I taught the class, really, I can recognize it when I see it.

You may work in a place that does science, but I can't see you being a scientist actually doing and writing the summations of the work studied.... I could be wrong, am I?

Lemme guess, you type the notes of the scientists who do the actual research...... right?

You claim you will assume the 'best', then slag me as a non-scientist!
All in the same post! Do you even read your own writing?
I think I'll call you on your hypocrisy and BS here.

I'm a physicist of many decades, a professor, and I have more patents in solid-state physics and electronics than you, I'm pretty certain.

As we say in my field, The person with the most patents wins.

If you had even bothered to do a search on my posts even here in TOL,
before opening your big mouth, you'd have saved yourself some embarrassment here:

Physics:
Newton's Gravity Waves
Newton's Black Hole
Newton & General Relativity for Christians
Disproving Newton (Part 1) Flaws with the Sphere Theorem

Science News:
An atheist would give you adulterated Rat Virus to cure your cancer...
Injecting CO2 and wastewater causes USA quakes
Where does Lightning Strike?
Large Magnetic "Bubble" Anomalies just outside the Solar System - NASA

Nazaroo

I've spent about 60 hours one week on this one word alone, I'm not making a flippant guess at the meaning of the word. Until you present something substantial enough to make me go change some views..... and other people's opinions in a chat forum, isn't that big a deal to me. I read comments from people who spent a life studying the language and heads up bible translation teams, and other like sources.

You also have to factor out the tendency to eisegesis on this topic. After 800 years of "don't say those words" it becomes so common, even though it's not biblical it's accepted. THEN people have to go and justify their claims, which means they'll bend anything they can reach at to serve their purposes. Even trained professionals have such strong presuppositions they do that. Like the Greek word Sarx, or flesh. People insist it's the human body, and SOMETIMES IT IS! But not always. If it's not sometimes used as a metaphor for something, then you had walking skeletal Apostles. But someone loyal to king james, who always saw flesh will lean towards flesh even WITH the screwed up interpretations it causes people to have in other places...

There is a lot to consider on it.

I suggest you take the proverb to heart:

"Better to boast taking your armor off then putting it on."

Let me suggest you do 60 hours on Daniel Wallace first:

As I said, 60 Plus hours at least. I was arguing against a person who taught intro Greek at a So Cal school. So I had to be uber prepared compared to the usual chat room debate.
This is what you call "uber-prepared"?

Let me tell you something son, you haven't a clue.

I spent 40 years researching John 8:1-11. Thats right, 12 verses of John.

I created the world's largest database on John here:

http://pericopedeadultera.org/

And I have maintained and contributed to nearly a dozen blogs
on these topics.

Our PA Blog
Mr. Scrivener's TC
Homoioteleuton
The Nazaroo Zone
KJV Debate II

In the process of that research, I learned, Greek, Hebrew, some Aramaic,
Chaldean, Syriac, and Ethiopic and even Coptic, in order to equip myself to carry out that research.

I have estimated to have read now over 14,000 books and articles,
in applied sciences, and several thousand on Biblical studies.

That intense, prolonged study prepared me to compile one of the best
commentaries on those twelve verses ever written,
because I also carefully considered and evaluated over 400 years of
previous work and commentary on them by other experts.

The Best of the Commentators - on Jn 8:1-11

I think its fair to say I know how to do research,
and 60 hours doesn't qualify you for diddly squat in my book.

I spent over 14 years for instance mastering Quantum Electrodynamics
and contributing to that field. Only one of many important areas in physics.

Nazaroo

Now lets turn to Daniel Wallace, the fraud:

Daniel Wallace, Dallas Baptist University, Scholar of New Testament Scholars, respected as one of the top TEN in the world of this generation by atheist and christian students of Koinonia Greek has his comments on the link HERE

DTS is known for being very conservative, southern baptist like in it's roots. Perhaps not AS FAR as southern baptist, but closer there than not. So, you should have some confidence with the background not making any liberal claims here. Oh, D. Wallace has literally written the text book most of the colleges use today for teaching Greek.

I hope that helps to give you enough thought to actually research the topic if you are going to voice an opinion on it. And I realize how crappy that sounds.... I dunno how to say it other wise, but it's not intended as a crappy comment.

Ok, you can be in water and not be wet. I understand your position. Paul wanted to see people cut their walnuts up in pieces, but he wouldn't say a vulgar word for fecal waste in the streets.... I get it.... (I really don't, but I'm trying to be polite.) You'll forgive me for accepting Daniel Wallace's explanation over yours, right?

I'll stick to Wallace
as one of MANY who's opinion is more expert than any thing you have produced, INCLUDING your scientifically sharpened, steel trap mind.
Around here, Daniel Wallace is known as the biggest dishonest jerk
in the field of New Testament Textual Criticism,
a field by the way, which is overrun and controlled by
Roman Catholic Jesuit moles.

And while we are at it,
we need to mention that Dallas Theological Seminary
was lost a few decades ago to the RC Jesuits,
and the last of its credible Protestant scholars is long gone.

Its now a front for Roman Catholic propaganda on a grand scale.

The self-appointed task of Jesuit scholars hasn't changed for
at least 150 years, and that agenda is to undermine and supplant
the English Bible and replace it with the 'critical NT text'
based upon the corrupt 4th and 5th century manuscripts
Codex Vaticanus 1209, and Codex Sinaiticus.

These are owned and controlled by the Vatican.

The mutilated, abbreviated text formed by amassing and
adopting the flagrant copying errors of these two documents
serves Roman Catholicism well in undermining the basic
Protestant position that the Bible has greater authority than Rome,
and in foisting upon the (previously Protestant) English public
of a text which has been manipulated and perverted to
support Roman Catholic positions and 'doctrines'.

Their latest abomination, the "Net" Bible, is little more than
a repackaging of the Westcott/Hort text of 1882,
the mutilated "shortest text" constructable and used as the
basis of the infamous "Revised Version".

We have caught Daniel Wallace and his friends' in their lies and
propaganda on many occasions, and have been exposing him and
his nonsense for decades.

A great example of the massive RC propaganda machine,
working in cooperation with the Jewish-controlled American media
is this little escapade propagated by Daniel Wallace's secret ally Bart Ehrman
and supposed 'opponent' in their conspiracy to frame the debate
over the text in Roman Catholic terms:

The DAILY SHOW - Unrepentant in 2006

The Colbert Report - Subject Reduced to Mockery

Cursing in NT Greek would be when you insult a person's name. You put a curse on them so others think less of them. That affects their lives in that culture. Of course that's just one example. The thought that saying one particular word would be a curse like that, is hilarious in context and syntax and grammar in Greek.
After reading this post and doing the 'uber-research' you are so good at,
I'm sure you'll understand why after writing a Greek grammar myself
in the process of my work, I won't be taking your (Wallace's?) malformed
thesis here seriously, without a twenty page thread containing your evidence.

I'm sure you've already discovered via search here,
of my voluminous threads on Biblical studies already posted,
and can get an inkling of my expectations as to the quality of your research:

Textual Criticism:

Majority Text - The True Power of the Probability Argument
Inerrancy: Far from impossible - you're relying on it now
Stupid Gaffs in the UBS Greek Text - Haplography
Listing h.t. errors in malformed modern versions
Five new articles on Codex Sinaiticus and Mark's Ending
Chronology of Printed Greek NTs 1500-1800
Dr. Maurice Robinson on Minority Readings in the Critical Greek text
Summing Up the KJVO Controversy
Why Matthew was written LAST and is secondary
Dead Sea Scrolls online HIRES with verse xlation!
Dave Cloud on Rome's hand in UBS and Modern Versions
The Modern Versions in a Nutshell
Erasing and Replacing Biblical Archaeological Evidence
Tischendorf and the theft of Codex Aleph
The Invasion of Roman Catholic Bibles
Textual Critics' Report Card (Part 1)
The Most Important Passage in Eusebius' Church History
Even liberals and skeptics rejected Hort's Greek text
New Evidence - Critical GNTs & Modern NTs are corrupt

Religious Issues:
chrysostom is right. Calvin was wrong.
The Five Points of Calvinism Demonstrated
Hollywood now openly at war against Christians
Bible Authority Flood and Food Laws: Where do you stand?
Hard Look at Book of Acts
Revelation: You are here...
How the Historical-Critical Method Usurped the Christian Faith
We have entered the Epoch of Tribulanity
Can the C of E and the Anglican communion be saved?
Middle East and Revelation...recent proposals
Chronology of Apostacy
Christian Middle Ages not a Time of Ignorance
Biblical Food Laws NOT obselete...

Status
Not open for further replies.