• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Why Evolution is real science - let's settle this "debate"!

oatmeal

Intro

I have created this thread for the single purpose of settling the long-running discussions about the veracity of evolution in the scientific sense (yeah, very ambitious, I know).

I would like to keep this thread as concise as possible by providing a summary for all the arguments from both sides that I will be keeping up-to-date in the first few posts.

IMPORTANT:
The purpose here is solely to talk about science - not about faith, philosophy, theology or ethics or anything else unrelated.

Any feedback is appreciated and I'll try to adjust accordingly.

Proposition

BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION is an established scientific fact. It explains every observation concerning biodiversity on our planet and is not contradicted by anything in the natural world.

Acceptance of evolution and belief in God are NOT mutually exclusive!

Definitions

Evolution:
Gradual change over time

Biological evolution:
Evolution of populations of living organisms.
Commonly known as: "descent with modifications"
Formally known as: "changing of allele frequencies across generations"

Scientific method:
The process of systematic investigation of the properties and behaviour of any system by empirical means and inductive inference, which improves its own conclusions by repeated validation of predictions and deductive hypotheses.
a.k.a "methodological naturalism"
Formally: Ask a question --> design experiment/observation --> analyse data and draw tentative conclusion --> critically evaluate the conclusion by asking deeper questions and attempting to falsify the conclusion

Scientific theory:
A comprehensive body of knowledge corresponding to the current consensus about a particular scientific subject. A theory is comprised of all relevant facts, laws and explanations. A scientific theory is the highest degree of confidence available for any field of study.

Rules

• Be polite!
  • Stay on point
  • Address every argument and explain your position
  • Don't assume that others know what you mean - provide references
  • Keep an open mind
  • Enjoy!

VERY IMPORTANT:
In order to guarantee a fair discussion and that everyone is on the same page here, I'd like to ask all of you to be patient and first let's establish a consensus regarding the format that I have proposed before we delve into the actual conversation.
So please, don't start arguing just yet, I'll announce in due course when the preparations are complete. Right now, I'd like to ask for feedback on what you think about this idea and the current setup.

I propose the following order:

STEP 1: Agree on terms

STEP 2: Agree on initial positions

STEP 3: fight!
If indeed Darwin's evolutionary theory is scientific fact and can actually be explained precisely then it shouldn't be a problem for you to prove how random mutation and natural selection can be done in the laboratory

How about you take 100 tadpoles and randomly mutate them and naturally select them and turn them into kittens?

I realize that'll take a few generations but since you know how to do all this and how it all works you should be able to mutate them specifically and scientifically select them to turn them into kittens

I'm 68 years old so please prove how scientific Darwinism is soon

marke

Intro

I have created this thread for the single purpose of settling the long-running discussions about the veracity of evolution in the scientific sense (yeah, very ambitious, I know).

I would like to keep this thread as concise as possible by providing a summary for all the arguments from both sides that I will be keeping up-to-date in the first few posts.

IMPORTANT:
The purpose here is solely to talk about science - not about faith, philosophy, theology or ethics or anything else unrelated.

Any feedback is appreciated and I'll try to adjust accordingly.

Proposition

BIOLOGICAL EVOLUTION is an established scientific fact. It explains every observation concerning biodiversity on our planet and is not contradicted by anything in the natural world.

Acceptance of evolution and belief in God are NOT mutually exclusive!

Biological evolution is founded upon assumptions that are faith-based in atheism, not in God or in science

Rules

• Be polite!
  • Stay on point
  • Address every argument and explain your position
  • Don't assume that others know what you mean - provide references
  • Keep an open mind
  • Enjoy!

Dare I?

The Bible is not a science book.
It was never meant to be a science book.
Trying to get science out of it is futile.

It was meant to say the things that it was meant to say and no more.

The first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) otherwise known as the “five books of Moses” are also called the Torah (Hebrew, “law”) and the Pentateuch (Greek, “five books”). Moses was not a witness to Eden, the Flood, etc., so let us remember that. The four Gospels are mostly eye witness accounts. The “five books of Moses” are not. Now, Moses did know about Abraham and others from stories passed down, so that helped. But still, not an eye witness.

To understand the authors intention, we must understand the culture, the literary styles in use at that time, and the ways speaking and narrating. Facts are differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writings. God speaks to man in a way that man can understand, and man will express that in the ways of speaking that are the norm of the time.

So God "inspires" Moses: God enlightens Moses mind to the knowledge that God created everything and that God created man in his own image. And now God is setting about to heal the rift created by Adam and the Fall. And this is the story that Moses tells in Genesis. He does so in a manner of speaking and culture of his people.

And that's it. It is as simple as that.

Timelines, dinosaurs, all that irrelevant stuff that people argue about, none of it has any place in the Truth that God want us to know. God wants us to know that He created everything and that God created man in his own image.

How old is the earth? Let scientists deal with that. The Bible does not say, even though some people think it does. As I said, reading the Bible means understand the authors intention, and explaining how old the planet is was not his intention. It is unseemly for Christians to argue about things that have nothing to do with Jesus. The age of the earth has no bearing of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Honor God by treating the Bible as what it was meant for, to tell the story that God wants to be told, not by arguing about the petty issues of man.

That's my position, and I stand by it.

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
How old is the earth? Let scientists deal with that.
Scientists cannot "deal with it" because it is out of the scope of their abilities.

Science does not "deal with" (or at least not well) one-time events and particularly one-time events in the distant past (i.e., ones without any observers or recorded observations).

I believe there is enough scientific evidence to prove the earth is orders of magnitude older than Young Earth Creationists would have you believe. That being said, I don't know of any scientific test or series of tests that can take the inanimate and make it animate. In other words, you can't make a rock into a bird through evolution. From the beginning whenever that was, God is.

Derf

Dare I?

The first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) otherwise known as the “five books of Moses” are also called the Torah (Hebrew, “law”) and the Pentateuch (Greek, “five books”). Moses was not a witness to Eden, the Flood, etc., so let us remember that. The four Gospels are mostly eye witness accounts. The “five books of Moses” are not. Now, Moses did know about Abraham and others from stories passed down, so that helped. But still, not an eye witness.

To understand the authors intention, we must understand the culture, the literary styles in use at that time, and the ways speaking and narrating. Facts are differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writings. God speaks to man in a way that man can understand, and man will express that in the ways of speaking that are the norm of the time.

So God "inspires" Moses: God enlightens Moses mind to the knowledge that God created everything and that God created man in his own image. And now God is setting about to heal the rift created by Adam and the Fall. And this is the story that Moses tells in Genesis. He does so in a manner of speaking and culture of his people.

Timelines, dinosaurs, all that irrelevant stuff that people argue about, none of it has any place in the Truth that God want us to know. God wants us to know that He created everything and that God created man in his own image.

How old is the earth? Let scientists deal with that. The Bible does not say, even though some people think it does. As I said, reading the Bible means understand the authors intention, and explaining how old the planet is was not his intention. It is unseemly for Christians to argue about things that have nothing to do with Jesus. The age of the earth has no bearing of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Honor God by treating the Bible as what it was meant for, to tell the story that God wants to be told, not by arguing about the petty issues of man.

If “science” is “knowledge”, then by saying “the Bible is not a science book”, you are saying “the Bible is not a book of knowledge.”

Full Definition of science—first definition:
1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding

What you’ve described is exactly “ignorance” and “misunderstanding” coming from Moses. How incompetent do you believe God is?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I believe there is enough scientific evidence

You're certainly welcome to believe whatever you like. But your beliefs don't match reality.

The evidence shows that the earth is young, despite what atheistic and old-earth creationist scientists say.

to prove the earth is orders of magnitude older than Young Earth Creationists would have you believe.

Reality is that the earth is 7-10 thousand years old, not billions.

Dare I?

What you’ve described is exactly “ignorance” and “misunderstanding” coming from Moses. How incompetent do you believe God is?

I should have known better than to jump into the religion section. I did not deserve that sort of personal attack. Saying that I think that God is "incompetent" is just despicable. You argue the same way leftists argue when attacking conservatives, with hateful below-the-belt ignorant jabs.

Oh that's right, you ARE a Trump hater aren't you. Your screen name suits you.

I am out of here.

ROFL

Leatherneck

Temp Banned
I should have known better than to jump into the religion section. I did not deserve that sort of personal attack. Saying that I think that God is "incompetent" is just despicable. You argue the same way leftists argue when attacking conservatives, with hateful below-the-belt ignorant jabs. Are you going to call me a white supremacist next? I am out of here.

Your screen name suits you.
God said He created the heavens and the earth science says He didn’t , I believe God.

marke

I believe there is enough scientific evidence to prove the earth is orders of magnitude older than Young Earth Creationists would have you believe. That being said, I don't know of any scientific test or series of tests that can take the inanimate and make it animate. In other words, you can't make a rock into a bird through evolution. From the beginning whenever that was, God is.
Every age test designed by humans is flawed and billions of years old estimates of earth's existence are clearly refuted by scientific evidence.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I should have known better than to jump into the religion section.

This is the Creation Science section. Not Religion.

I did not deserve that sort of personal attack. Saying that I think that God is "incompetent" is just despicable. You argue the same way leftists argue when attacking conservatives, with hateful below-the-belt ignorant jabs.

Oh that's right, you ARE a Trump hater aren't you. Your screen name suits you.

I am out of here.

ROFL

You laugh, but only because you're a fool.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Dare I?

No one says it was.

Yet it does cover real events that happened.

The Bible may not be a science textbook, but the things it says are verifiable. That means science can be done to test it.

Proverbs 25:2

The first five books of the Bible (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) otherwise known as the “five books of Moses” are also called the Torah (Hebrew, “law”) and the Pentateuch (Greek, “five books”). Moses was not a witness to Eden, the Flood, etc., so let us remember that.

No, but he was directly inspired by God to write them.

Forget Moses, God has an accurate recollection of the events that transpired before Moses came around. He could have told Moses what to write down.

And on top of that, there would have been verbally passed down histories via Abraham and his ancestors.

The four Gospels are mostly eye witness accounts. The “five books of Moses” are not.

So what?

Now, Moses did know about Abraham and others from stories passed down, so that helped. But still, not an eye witness.

You seem to be forgetting that what Moses down was inspired by God, who IS an eye-witness to what happened.

To understand the authors intention, we must understand the culture, the literary styles in use at that time, and the ways speaking and narrating.

What is said is easily understandable by the modern reader. All they have to do is read it.

Facts are differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writings.

No, they're really not. Sure, some things might be hard to understand without the context, but the context is the surrounding scripture.

Or what, do you think that God gave us an incomplete book?

God speaks to man in a way that man can understand, and man will express that in the ways of speaking that are the norm of the time.

Do you not consider the Bible to be understandable by man?

So it's all supposed to be a figure of speech?

If so, what does the figure of speech mean?

My position is that it's NOT a figure of speech, but that what God said happened that Moses wrote down happened EXACTLY as was written.

Timelines, dinosaurs, all that irrelevant stuff that people argue about, none of it has any place in the Truth that God want us to know.

So just toss it out of the Bible then, is that what you're suggesting?

God wants us to know that He created everything and that God created man in his own image.

Which he tells us how He did so, and in quite literal terms.

How old is the earth?

About 7,000 years old. Using geneologies, carbon dating, and more, we know this.

Let scientists deal with that.

There's nothing wrong with learning about the past, Red.

The Bible does not say, even though some people think it does.

It doesn't give a straightforward "The earth is X years old at this point in this story," no.

But it does give anchor points which we can use to determine roughly when things happened.

For example, we know that the Flood happened around 3290 B.C.±100 years.
Scientifically: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/FAQ211.html
And Biblically: http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/FAQ212.html

As I said, reading the Bible means understand the authors intention, and explaining how old the planet is was not his intention.

Which doesn't mean that we cannot know how old the planet is based off of what the authors said.

It is unseemly for Christians to argue about things that have nothing to do with Jesus.

The Creation account in Genesis is FOUNDATIONAL to understanding what the Bible says about Jesus. I will show you why below.

The age of the earth has no bearing of the Good News of Jesus Christ.

I beg to differ.

It has a TREMENDOUS bearing on the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Jesus said a lot about the Creation week, the Flood, and the history of the earth provided in Genesis. If any of that is not as He said, then that makes Jesus a liar.

There's nothing petty about discussing the true history of the world.

:yawn:

You're certainly welcome to believe whatever you like. But your beliefs don't match reality.

The evidence shows that the earth is young, despite what atheistic and old-earth creationist scientists say.

Source: Old Earth Creationism
Reflecting on God’s days of creation, I conclude with the words of the late Gleason Archer, Hebrew linguist, Bible scholar, educator, author, and champion for biblical inerrancy. He wrote the following in Hermeneutics, Inerrancy, and the Bible:

“Moses never intended the creative days to be understood as a mere twenty-four hours in length, and the information he included in [Genesis] chapter 2 logically precludes us from doing so. It is only by a neglect of proper hermeneutical methods that this impression ever became prevalent among God’s people, during the post-biblical era. Entirely apart from any findings of modern science or challenges of contemporary scientism, the twenty-four hour theory was never correct and should never have been believed—except by those who are bent on proving the presence of genuine contradictions in Scripture…Who can calculate the large numbers of college students who have turned away from the Bible altogether by the false impression that it bounds the conscience of the believer to the 24-hour Day theory?”
There are many different ways to reconcile science with the Bible, none of which validates evolution. Although I've studied YEC, it rejects science and embraces what I call pseudo-science. The Gap Theory is totally consistent with science.

Every age test designed by humans is flawed and billions of years old estimates of earth's existence are clearly refuted by scientific evidence.
Because that statement was written by a flawed individual makes it an unsupported assumption and unsupported by science.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Source: Old Earth Creationism

Reflecting on God’s days of creation, I conclude with the words of the late Gleason Archer, Hebrew linguist, Bible scholar, educator, author, and champion for biblical inerrancy. He wrote the following in Hermeneutics, Inerrancy, and the Bible:

“Moses never intended the creative days to be understood as a mere twenty-four hours in length, and the information he included in [Genesis] chapter 2 logically precludes us from doing so. It is only by a neglect of proper hermeneutical methods that this impression ever became prevalent among God’s people, during the post-biblical era. Entirely apart from any findings of modern science or challenges of contemporary scientism, the twenty-four hour theory was never correct and should never have been believed—except by those who are bent on proving the presence of genuine contradictions in Scripture…Who can calculate the large numbers of college students who have turned away from the Bible altogether by the false impression that it bounds the conscience of the believer to the 24-hour Day theory?”

Mr. Archer was wrong, and the author of that page is wrong for agreeing with him.

And to use your very words (not that I agree with it necessarily, but to point out your hypocrisy):

"Because that statement was written by a flawed individual makes it an unsupported assumption and unsupported by science." . . .

Here's the facts:
- The word "yom" can mean a few different things, and the context ALWAYS determines the meaning. The CONTEXT of Genesis 1-2 (which includes the rest of the Bible, such as Exodus 20 and Mark 10) doesn't allow for any other meaning to be used besides a literal 24 hour day.
- More people have been turned away from the Bible (and thus God) by the false teaching that it's ok to mix atheistic beliefs and the Bible.
- God said He created in 6 days, and rested on the seventh. Even more importantly, JESUS HIMSELF said that He made man "at the beginning of creation."

“But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’
Mark 10:6

God did not make man millions of years ago, billions of years after He made the universe. What Jesus Himself said disallows any interpretation of Genesis that does NOT have man being made at the beginning, namely, in the very first week of the existence of creation. Man being made on day six (within 144 hours of the beginning of day 1) of the creation week fits. Man evolving after millions of years, billions of years after the beginning of the universe, does not.
- There are no "genuine contradictions in Scripture." Sure, errors have crept in over the centuries that result in discrepancies between two accounts of the same event within scripture, but none of them cause any contradiction in the overarching storyline of the Bible.

There are many different ways to reconcile science with the Bible, none of which validates evolution.

Evolution isn't valid to begin with, let alone trying to reconcile the Bible with it.

Although I've studied YEC, it rejects science

No it doesn't.

and embraces what I call pseudo-science.

No, it doesn't.

The Gap Theory is totally consistent with science.

The Gap theory has plenty of flaws, not the least of which is what I quoted Jesus saying above, not to mention the science... http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/FAQ211.html

Why does Young Earth Creationism bring out the worst in people?

Care to elaborate?

It's like arguing with "Flat Earthers"!

We've had flat earthers on this site before. Their "arguments" were met with hard facts and good evidence.

Radiometric Dating and Creation Science​

The topic of radiometric dating (and other dating methods) has received some of the most vicious attacks by young earth creation science theorists. However, none of the criticisms of young earth creationists have any scientific merit. Radiometric dating remains a reliable scientific method. For articles on the RATE project, see the Rate Index.

General Articles

Potassium and Argon Dating

Radiocarbon Dating

Radiohalos​

Ice Cores

Young Earth Tricks of the Trade​

Bad Young Earth Science​

Source: Radiometric Dating: Its Use and Misuse

Mr. Archer was wrong, and the author of that page is wrong for agreeing with him.

And to use your very words (not that I agree with it necessarily, but to point out your hypocrisy):

"Because that statement was written by a flawed individual makes it an unsupported assumption and unsupported by science." . . .
I wrote that because of the unscientific statements YEC make that are NOT supported by science, yet they say they are supported by science making them out to be liars. I am not calling you a liar just to be clear.
Here's the facts:
- The word "yom" can mean a few different things, and the context ALWAYS determines the meaning. The CONTEXT of Genesis 1-2 (which includes the rest of the Bible, such as Exodus 20 and Mark 10) doesn't allow for any other meaning to be used besides a literal 24 hour day.
- More people have been turned away from the Bible (and thus God) by the false teaching that it's ok to mix atheistic beliefs and the Bible.
- God said He created in 6 days, and rested on the seventh. Even more importantly, JESUS HIMSELF said that He made man "at the beginning of creation."
Unfortunately, your best argument is a misinterpretation of the word "yom".

Source: Word Study of "yom"

I don't support evolution in any shape or form. Period. So take your evolutionists arguments elsewhere. I also don't support the Day-Age theory of origins. I find Dr. Hugh Ross and others fascinating and have read several of their books on the subject. But I find their attempts to fit the Day-Age theory of origins clumsy when they try to shoehorn it into Genesis.

I acknowledge the possibility of a six day reclamation of the Earth by God starting in Genesis 1:3. This was not the original creative work of Genesis 1:1, nor was it the judgement proclaimed by the status of the Earth as stated in Genesis 1:2 and elsewhere. I do not see Genesis as anything to be considered allegorical, but must be considered as literal truth. It's time for you to crack open some books, or surf the web for answers. Talk to you later.

One more thing, you can't replenish the Earth unless it was once plenished. Simple concept that everyone seems to gloss over.

One more Source: Old Earth Creationism

Last edited: