ECT why don't you say the Our Father?

God's Truth

But then everything sounds different to you.

Don't bear false witness; and, you are changing the topic.

Now stop derailing this thread so we can watch Chrys and John W. keep this thread from getting trashed.

Let's see if Chrys speaks to John W. in the same disrespectful way Chrys speaks to me. lol

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
A priest doesn't ask you to say our father's and hail Mary's for the absolution of sin?

the priests asks us to say the act of contrition as he gives us absolution which is conditional on us saying a few Our Fathers and hail marys for our penance

God's Truth

please try to ignore her
she has 240 posts in the other thread
and
that is all we need to know about her
she will not explain why she doesn't say the Lord's prayer
except to say that she lives it
whatever that means

I see that you do not know what it means to live the Lord's Prayer.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name...

Why do you not live that by NOT calling your pope "Holy Father"?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Through the death of God's son. The Lord Jesus Christ offered himself up on my behalf for my wickedness and was punished in my place. The Father accepted the punishment for sin.

we call that redemption
not forgiveness
and
there is a big difference

Cross Reference

Let's sum it up by noting that any pastor who preaches the Lord's Prayer and then later alludes to a God who demands the death of his own Son for the remission of sins is engaging in an unwitting contradiction between Jesus and the theology of his later followers.

I have never heard a preacher say such a thing as God demanding anything from "His Son" at all __ when God didn't have to.

God's Truth

the priests asks us to say the act of contrition as he gives us absolution which is conditional on us saying a few Our Fathers and hail marys for our penance

We do not have to do penance, which means punish ourselves.

Saying a prayer to God is not punishment.

Jesus suffered and died for our sins.

When we sin, we ask God to forgive us through Jesus Christ.

Jesus lives to intercede for us, Hebrews 7:25.

Jesus intercedes for us and Jesus does not tell anyone to do penance by saying the Our Father repeatedly.

Cross Reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrysostom View Post
do you say the Lord's prayer?

The Lords prayer is an example, only an example, of how we ought to pray.

1. Our acknowledgement that God is our Father followed by 2. a further acknowledgement of His Supremacy over all in Heaven and Earth and His desire to fill all mankind with Himself and then 3. The presentation of our petitions with the knowing His response is conditional upon our obediance. The end of the prayer is followed our worshipping Him for simply Who He is. You recite it as some legalistic ritual that brings a blessing when there can be no blessing unless you are of the Father.

Danoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by john w
Here is your opportunity to explain why you are drunk, not reading/seeing my post. I'll slow it down for you. As I stated:

For the same reason, members of the body of Christ do not, should not, obey the following scriptural commands/directives, and hundreds of others:

Mark 1:44 KJV And saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go thy way, shew thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing those things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.

Luke 18:22 KJV Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Matthew 16:20 KJV Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ.

I know that's pretty deep....Take a deep breath...Or grow a brain, Scarecrow.

that doesn't make sense
but
you already gave me the reason why you don't say the Lord's prayer

Made complete "sense" to me.

Why did it not "make sense" to you?

Because, finding it did not make sense to you, you then concluded against it.

You did not try to explore why he said that.

Because you do not know how, outside of how you make sense of things; which is why you are off - you are applying how you make sense of things.

All John W was actually doing was pointing out the need to consider things in Scripture in light of other things in Scripture, and this, from Scripture.

For example, on another post, I saw myself and another person going nowhere.

My understanding is that that is at times due to where we are each at both in our respective approaches and their resulting "understanding."

In the spirit of that, I posted that I was bowing out. That I was leaving that individual where they were, "for by faith ye stand."

Right off, they misinterpreted my intent, responding from their misinterpretation. This, at the same time that they went on about objectivity this and objectivity that.

In their mind, they had supposedly "correctly" read the "sense" of my words to them.

Problem was, I was basing what I wrote on the following passage's basic heart attitude - 2 Corinthians 1's:

24. Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.

My long winded point to you, CH - that John W's words did not "make sense" to you because he was pointing out passages you have obviously yet to sit down and study out the implication of as to this that you and or how the traditions of men "make sense" of things - they read their own ideas into passages; isolated from their overall setting.

Food for "thought."

:)

Danoh

I don't even see where you answered the question
so
how would I recognize your reasons?

Where a person looks at things from, determines what they are then able to see, as well as what they are also, unable to.

In short, where a person looks at things from, results in what "makes sense" to them.

Your OP does not take that into consideration. Instead, it reveals that your "sense" of what should be what, is correct, thus, your very issue with those who do not, built right into your OP.

It does not appear you want to understand why others do not, rather; that you have a problem with its not being practiced.

Again, you need to examine how you "make sense" of things, in contrast to how Scripture does.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we call that redemption not forgiveness and there is a big difference

I just hope I get the lure back from your mouth.

Ephesians 1

7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence,

13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

Colossians 1

14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

Colossians 2

13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,

Last edited: