Why Don't the Liberals Want a Wall?

WizardofOz

Let's see.

Does government have the legal authority to claim, with payment, private land for the needs of the nation? Don't dodge the question by trying to argue about whether you think a given need is legitimate. Does such legal authority exist?

Yes, the legal authority exists. Have a point yet?

musterion

:doh:

No one ever claimed that eminent domain doesn't exist.

You have made no point whatsoever.

Yes I have, one you don't like.

Kelo (wrongly, imo) declared that E.D. can be invoked to take private property for commercial purposes that will benefit (profit) a municipality, like for a hotel or stadium. Are hotels or stadiums an existential need of society? No, but the decision was made and the precedent is now set. A later court may or may not abide by it but it's likely they would BECAUSE it's precedent.

I won't insult you by extending that to the current sad situation with our virtually nonexistent border. You're smart enough to figure it out for yourself; in fact I'm sure you already have.

WizardofOz

Yes I have, one you don't like.

Kelo (wrongly, imo) declared that E.D. can be invoked to take private property for commercial purposes that will benefit (profit) a municipality, like for a hotel or stadium. Are hotels or stadiums an existential need of society? No, but the decision was made and the precedent is now set. A later court may or may not abide by it but it's likely they would BECAUSE it's precedent.

I won't insult you by extending that to the current sad situation with our virtually nonexistent border. You're smart enough to figure it out for yourself; in fact I'm sure you already have.

You have handily defeated the strawman you created. Congrats :plain:

musterion

You're the one who first voiced concern with private property owners along the likely path of the wall. :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
On the eminent domain thing, we used it for rail roads and freeways and power lines, so we just decide to put a railroad freeway power line in and the first thing you do when you're going to build something is put up a fence.

WizardofOz

No, it's been fun being correct.

What have you been correct about? I honestly cannot recall a single claim that you have made that could be considered 'correct'. Care to point one out?

But you need to cool off and accept your President's wish to keep you safe.

I've got no problem with the billions already being spent on border security. The idea of a grand wall is not feasible given the cost and logistics it would take to pull it off.

It's a pipe dream that you jumped on board with because you prefer talking points over reality.

musterion

What have you been correct about? I honestly cannot recall a single claim that you have made that could be considered 'correct'. Care to point one out?

I've got no problem with the billions already being spent on border security. The idea of a grand wall is not feasible given the cost and logistics it would take to pull it off.

It's a pipe dream that you jumped on board with because you prefer talking points over reality.

you-mad-yeah-you-mad.jpg