Why do you say it's about race? What proof do you have?

intojoy

BANNED
Banned

I am thankful for black men and women who think twice about what they are doing.

This is wisdom. to many, many Americans Patriotism, national anthems -- and Love of country is just as important as saying the Lords prayer.

The Football teams devine naturalistsource of individuality and self conscienceness caused them to pause and think about what they were doing exactly and who they were saluting with.

Not who they were saluting.

NFL players are punks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmoney

Hall of Fame
For a lot of athletes it probably is and given the Jordans and Bradys of the world don't tend to risk their money or popularity, it was nearly inevitable that someone like Colin would be the one to move the conversation.

And athletes have impact. Remember when Barkley said he wasn't a role model and people had a field day with it. He was a big stage villain for many. Then he played a better PR game, started speaking up for conservatives, pushing back sometimes against his own community and he became beloved. It isn't that we want athletes to leave their opinions out of things, it's that we want athletes with a different opinion to leave it out of things.
I don't know why you'd say it is the only platform for many athletes. :idunno:

I'm not sure, even though it rankled me. I mean, what's the loss? It's not like police are thinking, "That jerk, I'm going to make a point of shooting more unarmed black men now just to spite him." And racists aren't going to be more racist now. Maybe the whole point is to nudge essentially decent people who haven't considered it with immediacy or really given it much attention. The insulated. Mid, white America. And to galvanize black America as well...I heard a broadcaster admit to as much discussing it on the F1 with Shannon Sharpe not long ago. It had him involved in a conversation that he simply hadn't been a party to before...I know it grabbed my attention negatively at first, but then the firestorm he unleashed on himself and stood up under got my attention and I was listening in a way I probably should have been prior.

Maybe that's the point. Wake those who can be. Like distributing layouts of slave ships back in the day.
If you were moved positively by this then I'd wager you are in the minority. With the sensitivity of the flag and anthem I think it's more likely to push people away unless they were already on board with the BLM movement.

I liked what Stan Van Gundy said about it the other day while he was on Le Batard's show. He said he advised his team on two things. First, that if you are going to protest then make sure you are informed so you can speak intelligently about it. And second, think about your intended audience. The way i took his comments is that if your target is blacks who may be feeling scared or targeted then the anthem protests may be a strong way to show solidarity and comfort. But if your intended audience is those who may be in the middle then another form of action may be better. I tend to agree with that.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
:blabla: :spam: :blabla: :spam:

:blabla: :spam: :blabla: :spam:

7a14761dcebc2909352ffd17c9bcfcb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't know why you'd say it is the only platform for many athletes. :idunno:
Because it is. It's their stage. Away from it many aren't recognizable.

If you were moved positively by this then I'd wager you are in the minority.
It depends on what you think is a positive outcome. If it gets a thing considered that was out of mind by many and that's the point then a positive outcome was the net result. I don't think he knelt to make people feel better.

With the sensitivity of the flag and anthem I think it's more likely to push people away unless they were already on board with the BLM movement.
Many people said the same thing about the slave ship diagram.

I liked what Stan Van Gundy said about it the other day while he was on Le Batard's show. He said he advised his team on two things. First, that if you are going to protest then make sure you are informed so you can speak intelligently about it. And second, think about your intended audience.
Seems like sound advice.

The way i took his comments is that if your target is blacks who may be feeling scared or targeted then the anthem protests may be a strong way to show solidarity and comfort. But if your intended audience is those who may be in the middle then another form of action may be better. I tend to agree with that.
I suspect the point was to raise awareness and to express outrage over it. The rest relies on the nature and character of the audience.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have not said much on this topic. So, here it is. It does not matter to me, at all, if they stand or play tiddlywinks during the anthem, as long as they play a good game.