Why Do People Age?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Might as well present my own theory on this, since most evolutionists here think I am "full of it" anyway (can't hurt much more than that).

There are of course more than one theory floating around about this (and perhaps more than one factor is involved), but I have recently been concentrating on the one relating to DNA damage due to cosmic rays.

So, in brief, it may be that the accumulation of cosmic ray damage over a person's lifetime is what causes people to age.

NASA is concerned with such damage that will affect astronauts travelling to Mars, outside Earth's protective shield that deflects a portion of the damaging cosmic rays.

We have direct measurements made over the past 150 years or so which tell us that the magnetic field of the Earth has declined by 10% over that interval.

Did a stronger Earth magneric field in the past allow people to live much longer?

The Biblical geneologies might be interpreted to give a positive answer to that question. :chuckle:

shagster01

Might as well present my own theory on this, since most evolutionists here think I am "full of it" anyway (can't hurt much more than that).

There are of course more than one theory floating around about this (and perhaps more than one factor is involved), but I have recently been concentrating on the one relating to DNA damage due to cosmic rays.

So, in brief, it may be that the accumulation of cosmic ray damage over a person's lifetime is what causes people to age.

NASA is concerned with such damage that will affect astronauts travelling to Mars, outside Earth's protective shield that deflects a portion of the damaging cosmic rays.

We have direct measurements made over the past 150 years or so which tell us that the magnetic field of the Earth has declined by 10% over that interval.

Did a stronger Earth magneric field in the past allow people to live much longer?

The Biblical geneologies might be interpreted to give a positive answer to that question. :chuckle:

A lot of people think that there was once a protective bubble of water over our atmosphere (Gen. 1:7) that caused a sort of greenhouse effect that caused things to live longer and grow taller. At the time of the flood, God released the water above and that's where the floodwaters came from. They then retreated to the poles and our greenhouse was gone. People shrunk and died sooner.

called_out

For consideration:

Aging itself is the process of dying...a gradual process ordained by God as a penalty for disobedience. People lived shorter lives as time went on because God gave less of his spirit as sin degraded man more with each generation.

Gen 6:3 Yahweh said, "My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years."

Be Blessed

shagster01

For consideration:

Aging itself is the process of dying...a gradual process ordained by God as a penalty for disobedience. People lived shorter lives as time went on because God gave less of his spirit as sin degraded man more with each generation.

Gen 6:3 Yahweh said, "My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh; yet will his days be one hundred twenty years."

Be Blessed

If that's the case then the Holy Spirit being in the new testiment should cause Christians to live forever.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It is God’s plan

If some who are most gifted were to live much longer and their intelligence give to greater wisdom though the ages, then these would usurp the world and all others would do their bidding. God sees to it that all of us some day become addle minded and pass the reigns on rather than to retain and obtain more power.

As Lord Acton said, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Silk Queen

For consideration:

Be Blessed
This is my thoughts too.

Johnny

bob b said:
You could test the idea by raising rats not exposed to cosmic rays and measuring the mean lifespan again a randomized control group.

Last edited:

Chileice

You could test the idea by raising rats not exposed to cosmic rays and measuring the mean lifespan again a randomized control group.
That seems like a good proposal. I expect they would still age, but you might as well find out.

By the way Johnny:
"Alea iacta est."
¡Buena suerte!
Bonne chance!
and good luck!
I hope it rolls your way!

Highline

I propose an experiment that would test two theories. Someone watches our kids for a month while my wife and I go to a place that has a lot of cosmic rays; I'm thinking Mexico or Costa Rico; and we'll let tell you if we feel older or younger when we get back.

Fundraiser ideas, anyone?

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most people lived shorter lives in the past.

First, how do we know this?

Second. what was the cause of death? Aging, disease, accidents, war, famine or what?

I have been thinking about how to test this today, also considering that inherited defects might play a role as well. I have wondered whether modern medicine may be hiding a long term trend toward deterioration.

Johnny's suggestion might be a way to accept or falsify the cosmic ray increase concept, if one can figure out a practical way to shield against them (not an easy task because of their high energy). Perhaps a magnetic room of some sort could deflect them, similar to how the Earth's magnetic field does it.

Perhaps a search on GOOGLE can find something on this.

PlastikBuddha

First, how do we know this?

Second. what was the cause of death? Aging, disease, accidents, war, famine or what?

I have been thinking about how to test this today, also considering that inherited defects might play a role as well. I have wondered whether modern medicine may be hiding a long term trend toward deterioration.

Johnny's suggestion might be a way to accept or falsify the cosmic ray increase concept, if one can figure out a practical way to shield against them (not an easy task because of their high energy). Perhaps a magnetic room of some sort could deflect them, similar to how the Earth's magnetic field does it.

Perhaps a search on GOOGLE can find something on this.

Skeletal remains from ancient people show approximate ages of death and often the cause. Isn't it curious that considering all of the records humans have kept throughout time, the geneologies of the OT are the only source for these supposed hyper-extended lifespans, but you're hypothesisizing reasons for their longevity as though it were an established fact? Where is the famous skepticism that leads you to all the weight of your intellect against an established theory in search of weaknesses? Nutrition and violence were the most common factors in prehistoric longevity.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nutrition and violence were the most common factors in prehistoric longevity.

And you have determined this prehistoric information how and using how many cases?

Since neither factor you mention would be a factor in determining inherent lifespan, would you care to estimate that also for prehistoric times? (no records).

PlastikBuddha

And you have determined this prehistoric information how and using how many cases?

Since neither factor you mention would be a factor in determining inherent lifespan, would you care to estimate that also for prehistoric times? (no records).

Is there any evidence aside from the biblical that people ever had an inherantly longer lifespan? Comparing skeletal evidence such as the wear and tear on teeth and joints leads us to our current estimates on longevity in ancient times- not defenitive, but it doesn't seem to indicate any Methuselahs.

Andre1983

Scientific (From memory):
Why:
We die because our children are more likely to be better off due to evolution and due to creatures outliving their children never getting any far as a species..
We die because it is of advantage to our species; we die because we get outdated.
Some of our children should be smarter, stronger and better fit for the world than us -- and they will have kids too one day.
Aso.
Aso.

How:
Each time a cell divides it is subject to mutations.
We develop cancer and lose the ability to produce proteins we need to live due to our DNA getting more and more contaminated.
(The older your parents the more mutations in the children; the worse off are the children.)

In christianity:
When the snake tricked the people into eating the apple of Knowledge of Good and Evil god cast them out of paradise and refused them the apples from the tree of life;
God actively denies us the fruit from the tree of life.

Besides: Every substance in existance is radioactive at some level, so the god God does not seem to plan to keep the show running forever -- though, he and Jesus has promised the judgement-day anytime soon (upon where unbelievers shall be cast into the flames), so I wouldn't expect him to create something etertnal anyway.
In philosophy and in any case:
Imagine beeing an eternal human; impossible to harm but still subject to the same forces of nature as regular people.

Imagine living in Pompeii and beeing buried in ashes.
For some thousand years before beeing dug up.

Imagine getting lost in space; infinity alone or untill the sun/planet/black hole you end up on/in sucks in/down another immortal person.

Lastly:
To live forever is no different than never living.
When you have done everything within your limitations as an immortal human beeing; when you have turned the world into pieces of lego and built a 1/1 death-star, first in lego then in metal -- and seen the sun and a million other suns die...
If you imagine eternity as one full day, you would not have seen the clock move billionth of a second.

And you've just seen literally everything.

To make this work we would have to strip away personality, desires and instincts -- all would help make you feel miserable after these past experiences.