Why "Conversion Therapy" Should Be Illegal

Kit the Coyote

Hmm, let me guess, this is about a particular sexual act that not all male homosexuals indulge in and plenty heterosexual couples do? It bemuses me the fixation some people have with it. I saw a documentary recently where Stephen Fry was doing a radio show in Uganda and a pastor wouldn't stop going on about anal sex. When Fry said that he'd never done it and many other homosexual men didn't either the pastor almost had an aneurysm...

I think a recent study found that around 20% of homosexual never perform that act and somewhere up around 50% have tried it but it is not part of their normal sex life.

Kit the Coyote

It lowers the civil standards of our country.

Since there is nothing that occurs in homosexual relationships that do not also occur in heterosexual relationships, it is not clear how this is the case.

Can't allow sex with animals, either.

And rightly so since animals cannot consent but that is true of both homosexuals and heterosexuals so is really irrelevant to the point.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Yes but even if it were so.

God says He made them male and female, and instituted marriage to be between one man and one woman.

Suggesting an alternative to what God said is wrong.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
A few decades ago it was all okay to force black people to sit at the back of a bus so it's not much of an argument.

Just because a crime is legal doesn't make it any less of a crime.

Forcing blacks to sit in the back of a bus because they're "inferior" is a crime.

Homosexuality is a crime.

Just because they're legal doesn't make them right.

Should never have been a crime in the first place

No sensible person would disagree.

and society is no longer draconian like that. Progress is a good thing.

Legalizing crimes is not.

Homosexuality is a crime, just like racism is a crime.

Saying homosexuality should be legalized because racism was legal isn't an argument at all, let alone a good argument.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
And? Not everyone is wired the same way which is obvious.

:duh:
"Just like not everyone is a pedophile or zoophile.

:duh:"

That's the kind of argument you just made.

Yet we can still condemn homos, pedos, and zoos because what they do harms not only themselves, but those around them.

Kit the Coyote

We criminalize sex with minors and sex with animals due to lack of subject to legally consent and without such adult consent harm is done. That criminalization is applied equally to all of society. This is not the case with homosexuals who are were criminalized for things that heterosexuals could do legally. Thus the law was not being applied equally.

Arthur Brain

Just because a crime is legal doesn't make it any less of a crime.
Forcing blacks to sit in the back of a bus because they're "inferior" is a crime.

It wasn't at the time, hence why progression away from laws that infringe upon people's civil liberties be it colour, orientation etc is good.

Homosexuality is a crime.

No it isn't.

Just because they're legal doesn't make them right.

Or wrong either.

No sensible person would disagree.

Eh? So you're agreeing with me that homosexuality should never have been a crime? Or are you just admitting that you're not sensible?

Legalizing crimes is not.

Homosexuality is a crime, just like racism is a crime.

Homosexuality isn't a crime, nor should it have been classed as one in much the same way that racism should never have been tolerated either. The good thing is - a society that has at least a value for civilized standards progresses away from draconian ones.

Saying homosexuality should be legalized because racism was legal isn't an argument at all, let alone a good argument.

Laws that infringe upon people's civil liberties and private relations were bad laws to start with. Nowadays black people are equal in society and homosexuals have the same rights as everybody else. As it should be.

Arthur Brain

"Just like not everyone is a pedophile or zoophile.

:duh:"

That's the kind of argument you just made.

Yet we can still condemn homos, pedos, and zoos because what they do harms not only themselves, but those around them.

Paedophiles and zoophiles cause harm if they act on those inclinations as minors and animals can't give consent and is rightfully and lawfully a crime. The law also recognises that consenting homosexual adults aren't causing themselves or anyone else any harm at all. It may well be the case that people are born with those traits. I know it probably won't compute in your black and white world but plenty gays will tell you that they knew their orientation when they were kids and that they didn't choose. Scientific research is pointing in that direction as well.

Danoh

And? Not everyone is wired the same way which is obvious.

:duh:

Whether you are right or not about same sex attraction being a result of one's being wired that way, you are nevertheless debating people who hold that acting on ANY kind of "attraction" that is contrary the Scripture, is sin.

You cannot win this one.

Not until you find a way around where such are coming from (regardless of the often double-standard of many on their side of the fence, on one thing or another).

You're left with cherry picking those passages of Scripture (a Book you are obviously not very familiar with, if at all) in some sort of a hoped for supposed support of your view in favor of acting on said supposed "wired in attraction."

For you are debating people who assert their view is based on Scripture.

A Book none of the people who assert it is a Book not against homosexuality have ever shown any real familiarity with the whole of said huge Book, to begin with.

Good luck with that.

Arthur Brain

Whether you are right or not about same sex attraction being a result of one's being wired that way, you are nevertheless debating people who hold that acting on ANY kind of "attraction" that is contrary the Scripture, is sin.

You cannot win this one.

Not until you find a way around where such are coming from (regardless of the often double-standard of many on their side of the fence, on one thing or another).

You're left with cherry picking those passages of Scripture (a Book you are obviously not very familiar with, if at all) in some sort of a hoped for supposed support of your view in favor of acting on said supposed "wired in attraction."

For you are debating people who assert their view is based on Scripture.

A Book none of the people who assert it is a Book not against homosexuality have ever shown any real familiarity with the whole of said huge Book, to begin with.

Good luck with that.

I'm not trying to "win" anything as it is Danoh. I'm well aware that there's folk who believe homosexuality is a sin no matter what because of their religious beliefs and whatnot. Heck, if there's one group of people who have a major bee in their bonnet about it, it's far right fundamentalist Christians. Most Christian's don't believe it should be a crime or will bring about the downfall of society however.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Popularity doesn't determine what is right or wrong.

I'm not trying to "win" anything as it is Danoh. I'm well aware that there's folk who believe homosexuality is a sin no matter what because of their religious beliefs and whatnot. Heck, if there's one group of people who have a major bee in their bonnet about it, it's far right fundamentalist Christians. Most Christian's don't believe it should be a crime or will bring about the downfall of society however.

Danoh

True.

For either out of the ignorance of such and or out of its resulting double-standard, such ignore the obvious in Scripture.

That Scripture does not expect those in the secular world to live as those who hold with Scripture on one thing or another.

Matthew 8:21 And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. 8:22 But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.

Arthur Brain

I know a lot of Christians in RL and not one believes that homosexuality should be a crime. They see it as a sin. Period. A religious transgression.

As do the vast majority over here. It's only the zealots that really have such a hang up with it.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Maybe not but most Christian's are right on this. It shouldn't be a crime and it isn't.
No, they're not right.

Human sexuality is an objective binary trait, XX or XY, making the person a boy or a girl at birth.

Conditioning children into believing that going through a lifetime of chemical and surgical changes of their body to imitate the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.

Telling someone who is destroying themselves and those around them that what they're doing is ok is not loving. It's hate. If you love your neighbor, you will tell him to stop harming himself and those around him. You don't encourage their behavior.

Arthur Brain

No, they're not right.

You believe homosexuality should be a capital crime, right? So of course you're going to say that most Christians are wrong. Thankfully the constitution and sane laws prevent religious zealots from forcing their insanity on the rest of the population.

Human sexuality is an objective binary trait, XX or XY, making the person a boy or a girl at birth

That's gender, not orientation. Not everybody is "wired" to be attracted to the opposite sex. That much is obvious.

Conditioning children into believing that going through a lifetime of chemical and surgical changes of their body to imitate the opposite sex is normal and healthful is child abuse.

You'll find that people who feel trapped in the "wrong gender" haven't been conditioned into believing it's normal anyway. Homosexuals were forced to live in secret and were hardly conditioned to believe it was normal back in ignorant times. Didn't stop them from being gay.

Telling someone who is destroying themselves and those around them that what they're doing is ok is not loving. It's hate. If you love your neighbor, you will tell him to stop harming himself and those around him. You don't encourage their behavior.

People who are gay are going to be gay regardless. There's no cure for it and many have loving, healthy relationships. It might offend your zealous sensibilities that they don't all stay celibate or go back into the shadows but thankfully society has moved away from the dark ages.

Danoh

Not most anymore.

Most never even know what their Bibles say on one thing or another.

Let alone, in depth.

And that includes most Pastors I have observed over many a year.

We'll have to take AB's word that such are right.

:rotfl: