Theology Club: WHO WROTE HEBREWS ??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul wrote it.

I believe Paul wrote Hebrews but did not put his name in the book because there were many Hebrews who still distrusted him from his days as Saul.

Hebrews 2

2 For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, 3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,

And now Paul.

Galatians 1

11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Your posts are...baffling. Besides the content being so different, Paul took beatings rather than deny him before men. He was hiding nothing when he wrote, including from prison.

glorydaz

Hebrews 2

2 For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, 3 how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him,

And now Paul.

Galatians 1

11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. 12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Your posts are...baffling. Besides the content being so different, Paul took beatings rather than deny him before men. He was hiding nothing when he wrote, including from prison.

What strikes me as odd is why Paul didn't refer to Christ's priesthood in any of his letters. Or am I wrong about that? It seems that if Paul had been the author of Hebrews, that message would have been included elsewhere.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I agree with the scripture you quoted, but first, second and third, are used here as numbers in a list.

No arguement here, but it doesn't support your comment.

Whenever you find the time. I had not encountered your comment before. Doesn't mean you're wrong.

1. The Gifts of the Spirit: Ephesians 4:11 In verse 11, Paul begins with the enumeration of the gifts, some of which are the same as those in Romans 12:4-8. The Book of Romans lists a total of seven spiritual gifts. This Ephesians passage adds additional gifts to the list: And he gave some to be apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers.

a. Gift Number Eight: The Gift of Apostleship The first gift mentioned is the gift of apostleship. This was a unique gift, because, in order to receive this gift, one had to meet certain qualifications beyond that of being a believer.

(1) The Qualifications for Apostleship While all believers were eligible for any other gift, though God alone determined the distribution of the gifts, only certain believers were eligible for the gift of apostleship. There were two groups of apostles.

(a) The First Circle First was the group of the Twelve Apostles. To qualify for this group, one had to have been a follower of Yeshua (Jesus) from the baptism of John. He was first to have been a disciple of John the Baptist, then to have followed Yeshua, and to have seen the resurrected Messiah and His Ascension. This is seen in the selection of Matthias to replace Judas in Acts 1:22: beginning from the baptism of John, unto the day that he was received up from us, of these must one become a witness with us of his resurrection.

To be an apostle within the circle of the Twelve, one had to have been a follower of Yeshua from the time of John's baptism. Paul was not an apostle of the inner Twelve, because he had never undergone John's baptism.

(b) The Second Circle But there was a second group of apostles, and the requirement for this group was to have seen the resurrected Messiah. Paul fulfilled this requirement, for he saw the resurrected Messiah on the Damascus Road. On this basis, he defends his apostleship in I Corinthians 9:1: Am I not free? am I not an apostle? have I not seen Jesus our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord? Paul proved his apostolic calling by claiming that he had seen the resurrected Messiah. Paul calls himself an apostle in the first verse of his letters, including Romans, I and II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians, I and II Timothy, and Titus.

Barnabas was also an apostle of the second circle according to Acts 14:14. James, the half-brother of Yeshua, was an apostle of the second circle. According to I Corinthians 15:7, James had seen the resurrected Messiah, and Galatians 1:19 puts him in the category of an apostle. So only those who saw the resurrected Messiah ever qualified for receiving this particular gift. Therefore, this gift was only available to the 500-600 people who saw the resurrected Messiah, and not every one of those received the gift of apostleship.

(2) The Evidence of Apostleship A second unique aspect of the gift of apostleship was the fact that the gift of apostleship always included the power of miracles. One was qualified to be an apostle only if he had seen the resurrected Messiah, and then the power of his miracles was the evidence of his apostleship. This is the Paul of II Corinthians 12:12: Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, by signs and wonders and mighty works. Paul proved himself to be an apostle in both ways. First, he had seen the resurrected Messiah on the Damascus Road. Secondly , he had the power of an apostle as proven by his many miracles, signs, and wonders.

The same point is made in Hebrews 2:3-4: how shall we escape, if we neglect so great a salvation? which having at the first been spoken through the Lord, was confirmed unto us by them that heard; God also bearing witness with them, both by signs and wonders, and by manifold powers, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to his own will. In verse 3, the writer points out that salvation was proclaimed by those who were eyewitnesses of the ministry of Yeshua. These eyewitnesses were the apostles who witnessed His Resurrection and Ascension. They proved their apostolic office by their power of miracles, signs, and wonders (v. 4). Apostles are seen using these powers of miracles in Acts 5:12-16; 16:16-18; and 28:8-9.

And now Paul.

Galatians 1

The only thing I meant was Paul conversion was different than the other Apostles. It was miraculous. And yes, Paul calls himself as an Apostle to the Gentiles.

I don't mean to be baffling. Question me on anything I'm not clear on that you believe is important.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The only thing I meant was Paul conversion was different than the other Apostles. It was miraculous.

Expound on this. Paul explicitly says what is different in his ministry and his conversion.

It is important because the author of Hebrews says one can lose life. That is why the circumcision and perverts on this board want Paul to be the author so bad.

Expound on this. Paul explicitly says what is different in his ministry and his conversion.
I'm not going to expound much because I have the onset of a migraine.

Quote scripture; book, chapter and verse, and I'll expound on it if I can.

It is important because the author of Hebrews says one can lose life. That is why the circumcision and perverts on this board want Paul to be the author so bad.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You tell me. What was different? It is your claim.

Hebrews 6

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

But here is a hint.

16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

You tell me. What was different? It is your claim.

Hebrews 6

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

But here is a hint.

16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

I sorry. I don't understand your posts.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Paul never hid his authorship. Reading things from scholars (that rulz probably does not approve of) claim the author is likely a companion/close follower of the 12. Like a minister appointment by Peter, head of the circumcision.

bybee

2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

Every epistle Paul wrote began with "Paul,".

Hebrews begins with "God,"

Thanks Heir. I missed this. Whenever I've gotten into discussions about the authorship of Hebrews the consensus seems to be that a definitive answer is difficult to obtain.
Sooooooo, I just go with The Word!
But, your distinction here points me toward it not being Paul.
I'm so glad you're here!

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Hebrews has the appearance of a sermon which has been written down and made to look in places like a letter.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
2 Thessalonians 3:17 KJV The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

For many reasons, I've for a long time believed that Hebrews was not written by Paul.
Your citing of 2 Thess 3:17 is excellent.

Pierac

Manuscripts are very important because they were the official documents read in ekklesias scattered throughout the Mediterranean world. I have a great deal of esteem for the ancient manuscripts where 95% of them have the order of the four Gospels and Acts that we have today. There is a fundamental difference in most manuscripts when it comes to the next 7 epistles. We call them the General Epistles (sometimes called the Catholic Epistles). Over 95% of manuscripts place these epistles before Paul’s epistles.

Next come the 14 epistles of Paul. The Book of Hebrews is placed after Second Thessalonians and before First Timothy. Then afterward we have what are known as the Pastoral Epistles given to pastors or evangelists, all individuals: Timothy, Titus, Philemon and then last of all is the great prophetic book of Revelation.

The position of Hebrews in the vast majority of official manuscripts shows it in the midst of the epistles of Paul. This would lead you to believe that the epistle comes from the hand of the apostle Paul. Many early Christian Fathers actually mention that the Book of Hebrews belongs there. From this point of view up to now I think we would say that Hebrews comes from the apostle Paul. But let us go farther.

Look at the end of the epistle, the final salutation of it. We see an individual mentioned here who has been closely associated with the apostle Paul from the beginning of his ministry in Asia Minor. “Know you that our brother Timothy is set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you” (Hebrews 13:23). The author of this work is an intimate of Timothy who was with him at this time. This gives a good deal of credence that it was the apostle Paul who wrote Hebrews.

From the studies of EM

:idunno:
Paul