Who won Battle Royale XI?

• Theo Victis

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Turbo

Votes: 39 67.2%

• Total voters

Real Sorceror

On Fire said:
In my opinion, spending life in prison would be worse than death. I believe it is an acceptable punishment for serious crimes. It protects society from evil people and yet it honors life.
:noway: I agree with OF! Oh noes!
I also laughed at one of your jokes today! :shocked:
Surely these are the end times!!! :(

hitek357

On Fire said:
In my opinion, spending life in prison would be worse than death. I believe it is an acceptable punishment for serious crimes. It protects society from evil people and yet it honors life.
Actually, On Fire, It dishonors life, by keeping alive someone who SHOULD be dead. AND it turns justice on its head by making the survivors of a crime pay to keep the murderer alive.

The human skull is thick. To penetrate it takes both God and Man: Man wanting to get through from the inside and God trying to get in from the outside.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
On Fire said:
In my opinion, spending life in prison would be worse than death.

It is.

Being locked up in a cage until you die is cruel and unusual. It will also harden your heart.

On Fire said:
I believe it is an acceptable punishment for serious crimes. It protects society from evil people and yet it honors life.

Prison is crime school. Many of the inmates are released and then they go out and re-offend.

Prison is also very expensive and is an overall burden on society.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
Giving and taking life is God's business. Period.
Does God have the right to delegate that authority to certain men if He wants to?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
On Fire said:

As it has been said many times:

Ezekiel 13:19
And will you profane Me among My people..killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live...

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
that is one angry sorcerer and this is one repeated debate ...

On Fire

Turbo said:
Does God have the right to delegate that authority to certain men if He wants to?
He's God - He can do anything He wants! But He has not called any man to take the life of another. What He did do is send Jesus to preach love and forgiveness.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
a year ago i said that the death penalty was wrong .. upon reading through the arguments on this side i can confidently say that it was my view that was wrong ..

i still find it highly unpleasant to consider carrying out... but if the government were resposnsibly doing their job i wouldnt have much to worry about.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
On Fire said:
He's God - He can do anything He wants! But He has not called any man to take the life of another.

Actually He did.

1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. 4 For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. 5 Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake.

What He didn't do was tell men to imprison other men.

Last edited:

On Fire

Many laws enacted by men go against God's will. For example, the city council of San Diego voted to honor homosexuality with a parade and festival.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
On Fire said:
He's God - He can do anything He wants! But He has not called any man to take the life of another. What He did do is send Jesus to preach love and forgiveness.

He gave that very command to Noah. "Whoever sheds man’s blood,By man his blood shall be shed; For in the image of God He made man." And repeated it with Paul, " Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor."

But all of this was said in BR XI. You really should look it over :)

:eek: good quote Shimei :D

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
On Fire said:
Many laws enacted by men go against God's will. For example, the city council of San Diego voted to honor homosexuality with a parade and festival.

Right. There are many laws that are man made and wrong. That is why we should look to God and His Word. God's opinion counts!

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
Many laws enacted by men go against God's will.
Right.

For example, the city council of San Diego voted to honor homosexuality with a parade and festival.
For another example, our government only executes about 1% of convicted criminals, and it does so painlessly many years after the conviction. But God has commanded that every murderer should be put to death.

Another example, our government imprisons criminals, but God has never authorized such punishment for any crime.

He's God - He can do anything He wants! But He has not called any man to take the life of another.
Look at my signature, On Fire. He has done just that.

Are you unwilling to give place to God's wrath?

On Fire

Matthew Henry's commentary on Romans 12:19:

Since men became enemies to God, they have been very ready to be enemies one to another. And those that embrace religion, must expect to meet with enemies in a world whose smiles seldom agree with Christ's. Recompense to no man evil for evil. That is a brutish recompence, befitting only animals, which are not conscious of any being above them, or of any existence hereafter. And not only do, but study and take care to do, that which is amiable and creditable, and recommends religion to all with whom you converse. Study the things that make for peace; if it be possible, without offending God and wounding conscience. Avenge not yourselves. This is a hard lesson to corrupt nature, therefore a remedy against it is added. Give place unto wrath. When a man's passion is up, and the stream is strong, let it pass off; lest it be made to rage the more against us. The line of our duty is clearly marked out, and if our enemies are not melted by persevering kindness, we are not to seek vengeance; they will be consumed by the fiery wrath of that God to whom vengeance belongeth. The last verse suggests what is not easily understood by the world; that in all strife and contention, those that revenge are conquered, and those that forgive are conquerors. Be not overcome of evil. Learn to defeat ill designs against you, either to change them, or to preserve your own peace. He that has this rule over his spirit, is better than the mighty. God's children may be asked whether it is not more sweet unto them than all earthly good, that God so enables them by his Spirit, thus to feel and act.

http://www.christnotes.org/commentary.php?b=45&c=12&com=mhc

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
“Vengeance is Mine, I will repay.”

'nuf said.
So, just ignore the very next paragraph in which Paul says that the government is God's minister, an avenger to execute His wrath?

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord. Rom 12:19

[The government] does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Rom 13:4​

Do you not see the connection between the words vengeance and avenger?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
thanks shimei and hitek

i think if the people who taught me things hadnt been so scared of the judgement they would face had they promoted a godly justice system this would have been a lot easier to accept. unfortunately i dont think i was taught very well..

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
stipe said:
a year ago i said that the death penalty was wrong .. upon reading through the arguments on this side i can confidently say that it was my view that was wrong ..

i still find it highly unpleasant to consider carrying out... but if the government were resposnsibly doing their job i wouldnt have much to worry about.

:up:

stipe said:
thanks shimei and hitek

i think if the people who taught me things hadnt been so scared of the judgement they would face had they promoted a godly justice system this would have been a lot easier to accept. unfortunately i dont think i was taught very well..

I can releate. It's a very sad thing to have to undo the ideas in your mind due to very poor and false teaching. But knowing truth above all else makes it worth it all.