Who Hates Academic Freedom?

6days

That's perfectly fine and okay with me.
I begin to have a problem when Christians insist the text is inerrant but also assert their own understanding of it is equally inerrant.
There are things in and out of scripture that we can insist is true. There are those who are willing to latch onto almost any teaching.
Eph 4:14
Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won't be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Aikido,

You are so politically correct Christian.
An overlooked feature of political correctness which is too often ignored is that it began as a way to be fair and respectful to all points of view.

Of course, like anything else, the pendulum has swung too far. Even famous comedians today are turning down jobs to do shows at colleges because the students are so intolerant of anything they deem to be "sexist" or "racist."

So that's maybe what you are picking up from me.

I try to be politically correct around African American folks and not use the "N-Word" in front of them or indicate that I feel blacks are inferior. And since I DON'T feel that they are, I police my own language so I do not attack or misunderstand the black/white situation in America.

Does that make sense to you?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
There are things in and out of scripture that we can insist is true. There are those who are willing to latch onto almost any teaching.
Eph 4:14
Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won't be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth
I agree totally.

Whoever the scribe was who originally penned those thoughts is commonsensical and can use his God-given critical thinking.

I know you are also aware of Paul's statement of "putting away childish things" and beginning to act as a mature person.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
An overlooked feature of political correctness which is too often ignored is that it began as a way to be fair and respectful to all points of view.

Of course, like anything else, the pendulum has swung too far. Even famous comedians today are turning down jobs to do shows at colleges because the students are so intolerant of anything they deem to be "sexist" or "racist."

So that's maybe what you are picking up from me.

I try to be politically correct around African American folks and not use the "N-Word" in front of them or indicate that I feel blacks are inferior. And since I DON'T feel that they are, I police my own language so I do not attack or misunderstand the black/white situation in America.

Does that make sense to you?

I understand when Jesus says His followers are not of the world. Politics are of the world.

Jesus also says "let the dead bury their own dead" meaning the world will take care of itself without His followers minding their business.

Jesus' followers have responsibility to spread Jesus to the world. Jesus talked about kingdom of God a lot, and that's what His followers spread to the world.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
What does this have to do with what Jesus has to say?
Oral tradition is always problematic because it filters real events through men and women's interpretations.

In the earliest sources, Jesus became Son of God at his birth.
Then he was proclaimed Son of God at his baptism.
Later, he was declared Son of God at his death.
The latest theology depicts him as the Word of God before the world began.

The idea of the sacred always changes through time.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I understand when Jesus says His followers are not of the world. Politics are of the world.

Jesus also says "let the dead bury their own dead" meaning the world will take care of itself without His followers minding their business.

Jesus' followers have responsibility to spread Jesus to the world. Jesus talked about kingdom of God a lot, and that's what His followers spread to the world.

No real argument, Meshak.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus' faithful ones left Jesus' word to us.
But that word was clearly adapted by each New Testament writer. There are obvious contradictions in theology and tradition that have to be taken in earnest.

Critical focus and study like this is just part of the traditional methodology of historical research. The best researchers try and keep their own opinions or faith beliefs out of their final product.

Augustus Caesar was also called divine, Lord, Savior, etc. If a historian would ever say that he himself agreed with these lofty titles he would have written something, but it could never be considered history.

Same with Christian apologetic writers or Jewish faith-based writers.

They can believe whatever they want but as historians they need to be concerned with FACTS, not FAITH.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Aren't we in circle?

You seem to be skilled in going in circle, brother.
That might be because we start from different places.

I am not trying to convert you to my beliefs and you shouldn't try to convert me.

If we cannot accept our relationship and differences as they are then things will spiral into circles and become meaningless.

I have found that when I feel anxious to try to convert or change another person, it is because I feel a little less than confident of my own beliefs and get defensive.

Trying to command everyone around us to act right and believe right are a sign of tyranny. All tyrants--national and personal--do this.
They are afraid of difference and diversity.

6days

World renowned 'evangelical' evolutionist now promotes academic freedom!!!

Dr. Lawrence Krauss says "Doubt about one’s most cherished beliefs is, of course, central to science: … But doubt is also important to non-scientists. It’s good to be skeptical, especially about ideas you learn from perceived authority figures. Recent studies even suggest that being taught to doubt at a young age could make people better lifelong learners. That, in turn, means that doubters—people who base their views on evidence, rather than faith—are likely to be better citizens.”*…

“One conclusion we might draw is that we ought to resist ideology in the first place. If we want to raise citizens who are better at making evidence-based judgments, we need to start early, making skepticism and doubt part of the experience that shapes their identities from a young age.”

“..Informed doubt is the very essence of science.”*…

One thing is certain: if our educational system does not honestly and explicitly promote the central tenet of science—that nothing is sacred—then we encourage myth and prejudice to endure. We need to equip our children with tools to avoid the mistakes of the past while constructing a better, and more sustainable, world for themselves and future generations." (Teaching Doubt,*The New Yorker)

Now.... what is amazing is that contrary to the good words from Krauss is that he seems to believe common ancestry beliefs are a sacred cow...and sacred cows should not be doubted. Like other evolutionists Krause talks a good game, but is promoting indoctrination of his beliefs.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
That might be because we start from different places.

I am not trying to convert you to my beliefs and you shouldn't try to convert me.

If we cannot accept our relationship and differences as they are then things will spiral into circles and become meaningless.

I have found that when I feel anxious to try to convert or change another person, it is because I feel a little less than confident of my own beliefs and get defensive.

Trying to command everyone around us to act right and believe right are a sign of tyranny. All tyrants--national and personal--do this.
They are afraid of difference and diversity.

I am not trying to convert you to mine.

I forgive you for your misjudgment.