Who died on the cross? - a Hall of Fame thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hopping....hopping...hopping down the bunny trail...

Quickly though... Actually it would be the ungodly line of Cain and the Godly line of Seth... buuuut....I've heard the argument and dismiss it because of this verse...
Notice the verse says..."There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward". What were those days? They were the days before the flood. What are the days after? They are the days after the flood. Now if it had been Cain's line, it would have been wiped out in the flood.... remember that Noah was perfect in his generations? So if Noah's line was perfect, there was no stain from the supposed Cain's line. However, after the flood there were still fallen angels to mate with human women.:the_wave:

Apologies to Seth for posting while tired.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
While you are right that Christ did not go to Hell to be punished... you are wrong about Him going only to Abraham's Bosom. He also preached to the angels in chains. And they weren't in the nice place. Unless of course you think Jesus took a bullhorn with him?:sozo:

It could have been a proclamation of their doom, not a call to redemption like Mormons teach.

Ecumenicist

My .02$,

Through studying Karl Barth, I came to the conclusion that Christ came as a "fleshly projection"
of God into our reality.

Like a physical, human shadow. When the sun doesn't shine, the person who projects the
shadow doesn't disappear, but the shadow does. God's "fleshly projection" into human reality
is / was, in essence, God projecting God's self physically into our Universe. The death of the
man Jesus on the Cross was the end of that fleshly projection, the shadow of God was blotted out
on that day, but God was not.

The Trinity consists of 3 limited, subjective interpretations of God's Essence,
given to humanity as a mere glimpse into the nature of God in our limited, subjective viewpoints.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Yeah...and not only could God sin, but he also doesn't knows the future, can make mistakes and his creatures can frustrate his plans. So, I guess we must always be on our knees praying that one day, sometime, God doesn't mess up, sins and ends up destroying himself.

Evo

Nice straw man caricature of OT that underestimates God's glorious character and attributes freed from philosophical trappings of some of the classical view.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
We have Lion on record saying: "However, God is free. He could choose to sin, but He does not." (source). Given previous threads where it has been asserted that Lord Jesus, who is God, could sin while on earth, I am sure he is not alone on this issue. That he did or does not is not the issue, he can still do it, it is possible.

As far as mistakes go, according to the openists God takes risks, and these sometime fail forcing him to switch to plan B (as in dispensationalism, for example). Failed risks are quite simply...mistakes.

Evo

Despite perfect 'parenting', Israel sometimes disobeyed. When your children disobey, is that a mistake on your part or theirs? You underestimate God's omnicompetence to rule providentially despite creating others who could freely love or hate Him. Instead, you substitute an omnicausal model of sovereignty that diminishes His ability and glory (for those who think simple foreknowledge is necessary for providential control, you are also wrong since it offers no advantage over the Open view...).

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
godrulz, do you believe the hypostatic union is a false doctrine? No weasel wording, yes or no?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The "hypostatic union" is a false doctrine created without any biblical support. Jesus does not have two identities or natures. He is God manifested in the flesh.

We can find verses that show that Jesus is God and verses that show He is man. He IS God manifest in the flesh, the God-Man, one person with two natures.

Is that really you, sozo?:noway:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
godrulz, do you believe the hypostatic union is a false doctrine? No weasel wording, yes or no?

Perhaps we should define it to be on the same page. I do believe Jesus is one person with two natures. I am not sure about the later conclusions about Him having two wills (I lean to one will).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07610b.htm

I am also not sure about being limited and omnipresent at the same time (have not given much thought...I also have used Jn. 1:48 to support your view, but this could also refer to the Holy Spirit giving Him supernatural knowledge/vision as a man; Jesus did depend on the Spirit as we do; He did not generally use His preexisting omnipotence to do things; Lk.2:52).

No weasel reply: Yes, but....(one can hold it with differences in application/details).

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Perhaps we should define it to be on the same page. I do believe Jesus is one person with two natures. I am not sure about the later conclusions about Him having two wills (I lean to one will).
One self-conscious personality works for me.

I am also not sure about being limited and omnipresent at the same time (have not given much thought...I also have used Jn. 1:48 to support your view, but this could also refer to the Holy Spirit giving Him supernatural knowledge/vision as a man; Jesus did depend on the Spirit as we do; He did not generally use His preexisting omnipotence to do things; Lk.2:52).
I don't think John 1:48 is figurative about Jesus seeing.

Nevertheless, do you believe that the Second Person of the Trinity was limited in His presence to the geographical location of the body of Jesus during the Incarnation?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nevertheless, do you believe that the Second Person of the Trinity was limited in His presence to the geographical location of the body of Jesus during the Incarnation?

Why can't you accept that God the Son became a man?

John1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us...

godrulz

Hall of Fame
One self-conscious personality works for me.

I don't think John 1:48 is figurative about Jesus seeing.

I used to believe -and still do- that He was omnipresent and finite/limited geographically, but this is hard to grasp. I am now open to more speculation since Scripture does not explicitly resolve how the divine and human natures relate in the God-Man. Do we emphasize essence or distinction? If the Word somehow totally changes when humanity is added, I would not perceive it to be a denial of the hypostatic union or His Deity/humanity.

Sozo

If Jesus is "fully man", when the body of Jesus died on the cross, where was the "man"?

Was the "man" separated from God? Was 'he' conscious of self?

Is Jesus eternally the "God-Man"?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If Jesus is "fully man", when the body of Jesus died on the cross, where was the "man"?

Was the "man" separated from God? Was 'he' conscious of self?

Is Jesus eternally the "God-Man"?
Back up to this post for starters, then move to this for the whole 'conscious' issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.