ECT When was the word "Catholic" first used?

The 5 solas

catholic ≠ Roman Catholic

Can't believe I am saying this, but Nick is right on the money this time!

All true Christians should believe in the holy catholic church, which is NOT the Roman Catholic Church...it is the universal church of all believers.

Apostles Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. AMEN.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
........All true Christians should believe in the holy catholic church, which is NOT the Roman Catholic Church..............

Well the church CERTAINLY is not all the little Johnny-come-lately protestant denominations!

And, there is no Roman Catholic Church! The Catholic Church is called the Catholic Church. Latin Rite Catholics, commonly referred to as Roman Catholics, are just one rite within the Church.

QUOTE:

In forums I always see the acronym RCC tossed about. Sometimes it is done in innocence, but very often it is done out of malice by people who know better, or out of sheer ignorance.

The Catholic Church is the "Catholic Church", not the Roman Catholic Church. Within the Catholic Church, there are many "Rites": The Maronite Rite, the Syriac Rite, the Chaldean Rite, the Byzantine Rite, and many many other "Rites" or Churches, and also included is the Latin Rite, or "Roman" rite if you will. The Roman Catholic Church is a part of the Catholic Church, but that is all.

What all these Churches - or "Rites" - have in common is doctrine, and submission to the Pope as the Successor of Peter and earthly head of the Church. Not all Catholics are "Latin Rite" Catholics though, and some Catholics can find it rather offensive when the Church is continually referred to as the RCC.

What does this say:

It says "Catechism of the Catholic Church". It does not say "Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church". That is an important point to remember.

RITES

A Rite represents an ecclesiastical, or church, tradition about how the sacraments are to be celebrated. Each of the sacraments has at its core an essential nature which must be satisfied for the sacrament to be confected or realized. This essence – of matter, form and intention – derives from the divinely revealed nature of the particular sacrament. It cannot be changed by the Church. Scripture and Sacred Tradition, as interpreted by the Magisterium, tells us what is essential in each of the sacraments (2 Thes. 2:15).

When the apostles brought the Gospel to the major cultural centers of their day the essential elements of religious practice were inculturated into those cultures. This means that the essential elements were clothed in the symbols and trappings of the particular people, so that the rituals conveyed the desired spiritual meaning to that culture. In this way the Church becomes all things to all men that some might be saved (1 Cor. 9:22).

There are three major groupings of Rites based on this initial transmission of the faith, the Roman, the Antiochian (Syria) and the Alexandrian (Egypt). Later on the Byzantine derived as a major Rite from the Antiochian, under the influence of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. From these four derive the over 20 liturgical Rites present in the Church today.

source: Catholic Rites and Churches

For those who mean no malice when using "RCC", I wanted to make this point for your benefit. For the one who do it out of malice, you are revealed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And, there is no Roman Catholic Church!

Not in the Bible anyway. Those claiming apostolic authority that live in the Vatican are Roman Catholic Church.

Galatians 2

Peter= Circumcision
Paul= Uncircumcision

So much for Papal succession.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Not in the Bible anyway. Those claiming apostolic authority that live in the Vatican are Roman Catholic Church.

Galatians 2

Peter= Circumcision
Paul= Uncircumcision

So much for Papal succession.

You love to just wallow in, and roll around in, the mud of ignorance don't you.

republicanchick

I've never yet heard anyone seriously deny that the Pope sold indulgences [pardon] it's what the Reformation row was all about.

The RCC made it a matter of Papal infallibility...so that kills 3 birds with one stone

The selling of forgiveness
The Pope's infallibility
The idea that the Pope is anything to do with Peter [for reference read how Peter dealt with Simon Magus]

even if what u say is true, which it is NOT

why do you who hate the RCC never think about this... Oh, but you do think about this (the following) you just don't want to admit it to anyone:

about how you protestants do the same thing .. u know, that 3 fingers pointing back @ yourself thing: you swallow everything protestant pastors say, hook, line and sinker..

pastor says you can sin all you want and still get to Heaven after accepting Christ... ok, you say..

pastor says most important thing is having a relationship with Christ, even tho those words are found nowhere in the bible... you swallow this as well

But when CAtholics have the audacity to listen to the pope, who reigns over the oldest Church in Christendom...

oh, horrors..

__

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Actually the term is first recorded as being used by St. Ignatius of Antioch in the year 107 or thereabouts in regard to the whole Church.

Peter and Paul founded the Church in Rome. The better question would be why did heretics break away from it

Yes Ignatius is the founder of the Catholic church, he taught the usurpation of Christ by the bishops.

He taught that Christians must obey the bishop as though he were Christ in Person.

This is when the Catholic church swerved away from the truth. From that time forth if the bishop was a true teacher he could lead the people into the truth, if he were a false teacher he could lead the people into falsehood.

The church became an admixture of truth and falsehood.

Cruciform

The better question would be when Rome co-opted it.
Here we have HS mindlessly parroting the anti-Catholic tradition of his chosen recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect.

In point of fact, it was Ignatius of Antioch---a Catholic bishop---who first applied the term "Catholic" to Christ's one historic Church in the late 1st century. No "Rome" involved. So much for HS's latest ignorant claim.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform

Yes Ignatius is the founder of the Catholic church, he taught the usurpation of Christ by the bishops.
Straw Man Fallacy. Ignatius merely followed Christ and the apostles in teaching that the apostles and bishops of Christ's one historic Church teach in Christ's own name and by his very authority (Mt. 28:18-20; Ac. 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Jn. 4:6), and that the teachings of the Church are identical with the teachings of Jesus Christ himself (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15). So much for your latest long-refuted claim.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Yes Ignatius is the founder of the Catholic church, he taught the usurpation of Christ by the bishops........
Nonsense.

....He taught that Christians must obey the bishop as though he were Christ in Person.....
Read your Bible: Hebrews 13:7-17: Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them. We have an altar from which those who serve the tent have no right to eat. For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the holy places by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside the camp. So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured. For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you.

...This is when the Catholic church swerved away from the truth......
Your posts swerves away from the truth, FAR away.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Catholic bishops did never speak the word of God to us...that has always been our complaint, nor do we consider their way of life worthy to be emulated, neither rate we the outcome of their faith.

Does your bishop even know you? how then is he watching over your soul?

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Straw Man Fallacy. Ignatius merely followed Christ and the apostles in teaching that the apostles and bishops of Christ's one historic Church teach in Christ's own name and by his very authority (Mt. 28:18-20; Ac. 16:4; 2 Thess. 3:4; 1 Jn. 4:6), and that the teachings of the Church are identical with the teachings of Jesus Christ himself (Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15). So much for your latest long-refuted claim.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Catholic teachings and traditions are 180 degrees different to the teachings and traditions of the apostles.

The teachings of the catholic church are diametrically opposed to the teachings of Christ...that is our protest

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Catholic bishops did never speak the word of God to us........
Yes they do, through the priests or at Mass at their cathedral. Did you bother ever going to the cathedral to attend mass with the bishop? One Bishop oversees hundreds of parishes and millions of Christians. What's your point.

......that has always been our complaint.....
Who's complaint.

.....nor do we consider their way of life worthy to be emulated.....
Who the heck is "we"?

......Does your bishop even know you?......
Nope. Again, so what. The governor of my state doesn't know me either. He's still the governor. Should I go make a new governor that I like? Your posts are ignorant. Grow up. Your "complaints" are nothing but childish sniveling. "Oh, oh, the president didn't wave at me or answer my letter .I'm never voting for him, again." LOL! That's how dumb you sound.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The president or the governor are not charged with watching over my soul. "We" are those who protest against the corruptions of the Catholic church, the falsity of sacramental religion, the idolatry of the eucharist, the deadness of liturgical worship.....that's who "we" are.

there are lots of us.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I'm sure you do not think everyone who rejects Catholicism are imbeciles....
Not all, but a lot. Your posts are just childish rants though. "I never heard the bishop preach, boo hoo." Or, does my bishop know my name! Give me a break!! Did Peter and Paul know all the Roman Christians' names?