What would make you Catholic?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Still waiting for your answer to Post #171 above.

I am a "Bible Only" believer. I do not and could not believe in the traditions of the Catholic Church. There is no mention of the Catholic Church or its traditions in scripture.

Cruciform

I am a "Bible Only" believer.
The question is "WHY?, since sola scriptura is a thoroughly unbiblical, self-refuting notion that did not even exist in the Christian Church until being invented by mere men during the 16th-century Protestant Rebellion. Please disprove the information provided here.

I do not and could not believe in the traditions of the Catholic Church.
Only because your favored entirely non-authoritative recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect won't allow you to contradict its particular traditions of men.

There is no mention of the Catholic Church or its traditions in scripture.
  • First, your comment here assumes the validity of the unbiblical and self-refuting---and therefore false---notion of sola scriptura, and so your claim simply falls flat.
  • Second, all Catholic teaching is contained in Scripture, either explicitly or implicitly, so your claim is straightforwardly false.
  • Third, as far as there supposedly being "no Catholic Church in Scripture," you're simply and demonstrably wrong [SOURCE][SOURCE].

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

HisServant

The question is "WHY?, since sola scriptura is a thoroughly unbiblical, self-refuting notion that did not even exist in the Christian Church until being invented by mere men during the 16th-century Protestant Rebellion. Please disprove the information provided here.

Only because your favored entirely non-authoritative recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect won't allow you to contradict its particular traditions of men.

• First, your comment here assumes the validity of the unbiblical and self-refuting---and therefore false---notion of sola scriptura, and so your claim simply falls flat.
  • Second, all Catholic teaching is contained in Scripture, either explicitly or implicitly, so your claim is straightforwardly false.
  • Third, as far as there supposedly being "no Catholic Church in Scripture," you're simply and demonstrably wrong [SOURCE][SOURCE].

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Cruciform... an undefeated legend in his own mind... that 95% of the people that use this site know to be a lunatic.

Cruciform

Cruciform... an undefeated legend in his own mind... that 95% of the people that use this site know to be a lunatic.
Come back if you ever manage to stumble upon an actual argument---sorry, but Ad Hominem Fallacies of the kind you're attempting here just don't count. :yawn:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

I do not have to disprove what is posted on your Catholic Websites.
Disprove scripture, what else do we need;

2 Timothy 3:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

HisServant

Come back if you ever manage to stumble upon an actual argument---sorry, but Ad Hominem Fallacies of the kind you're attempting here just don't count. :yawn:

All I am doing is giving you a dose of your own medicine.

I've been here for quite a few years and have never seen you put for a valid argument... not even once. Yet you call for others to do so.

Such hypocrisy.

Cruciform

I do not have to disprove what is posted...
So, then, no actual disproof whatsoever---not even an attempt at it. That's what I thought. Your utter inability to refute the counterargument to your core assumption (sola scriptura) is noted. Therefore, your reliance upon sola scriptura simply collapses.

...what else do we need:

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
According to Scripture itself, we also need the Church's apostolic Tradition. Indeed, if you were truly a "Bible-Only" believer as you claim, you would eagerly reject sola scriptura as unbiblical!

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am a "Bible Only" believer. I do not and could not believe in the traditions of the Catholic Church. There is no mention of the Catholic Church or its traditions in scripture.

Some of the traditions are there. You have to look in the right place. Like instructions for Levi on how to dress.

Cruciform

All I am doing is giving you a dose of your own medicine.I've been here for quite a few years and have never seen you put for a valid argument... not even once.
Try again. I post arguments all the time (see Post #208 just above, for example), as opposed to the contralogical joke you attempted in Post #203.

Back to Post #204 above.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, then, no actual disproof whatsoever---not even an attempt at it. That's what I thought. Your utter inability to refute the counterargument to your core assumption (sola scriptura) is noted. Therefore, your reliance upon sola scriptura simply collapses.

According to Scripture itself, we also need the Church's apostolic Tradition. Indeed, if you were truly a "Bible-Only" believer as you claim, you would eagerly reject sola scriptura as unbiblical!

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+
His Servant is correct. Will you ever answer a question without the aide of a Catholic based website. Show some scholarship and do it yourself.

Cruciform

His Servant is correct. Will you ever answer a question without the aide of a Catholic based website. Show some scholarship and do it yourself.
Nice Red Herring Fallacy---you really are desperate to avoid facing the utter bankruptcy of your naive reliance upon the hopelessly self-defeating notion of sola scriptura, aren't you. Back to Post #207.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice Red Herring Fallacy---you really are desperate to avoid facing the utter bankruptcy of your naive reliance upon the hopelessly self-defeating notion of sola scriptura, aren't you. Back to Post #207.

You have nothing but your Catholic websites. No scholarship of your own.

Cruciform

Same thing I would say to you.
Then the only question left is which of our chosen doctrinal tradition's is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself, and therefore teaches in his own name and by his very authority? Is it [1] the one historic Catholic Church, or is it [2] your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect?

Please post your proof in support of your preferred non-Catholic sect.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Then the only question left is which of our chosen doctrinal tradition's is in fact that one historic Church founded by Jesus Christ himself, and therefore teaches in his own name and by his very authority? Is it [1] the one historic Catholic Church, or is it [2] your preferred recently-invented, man-made non-Catholic sect?

Please post your proof in support of your preferred non-Catholic sect.

Certainly is not the Catholic Church. You have not been able to post scripture to prove it, only Catholic websites. The church I attend believes in Sola Scripture, Sola Fide.