ECT WHAT THE GREEK WORD BAPTIZO MEANS IN MATT 28:19 ??

glorydaz

Who anointed Jesus with oil?

Nice try. You claimed water represented the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit didn't dunk Jesus under the water, John did.

This is actually very basic, Jamie. Oil represents the anointing Spirit all throughout the OT. Water represents washing ie. by the word of God. Do you think the Holy Spirit packs a vial of oil with Him wherever he goes?

Luke 4:18
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,​

1 Samuel 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

Exodus 29:7 Then shalt thou take the anointing oil, and pour it upon his head, and anoint him.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.​

Use those computer and analytical skills of yours to delve into this great mystery.

glorydaz

So did Jesus. I picked it up from him.

Who anointed Jesus with oil?

Oil represents the Holy Spirit when the Holy Spirit doesn't come down personally and do the work Himself.

Jesus didn't say water represented the Holy Spirit. The verse you gave certainly didn't say that.

You didn't bother to use your skills, did you? You claim to have some....why resort to making unprovable statements?

Lon

Hi and maybe the question needs to be better explained , who are the NATIONS / ETHNOS in Matt that the apostles are to teach ??

Do you believe in Water Baptism ??

dan p
Not just nations, but 'all nations.' :think:

As far as Baptism: Acts 16:14,15;18:8 Romans 6:3,4 Galatians 3:27 Colossians 2:12 (just scriptures, give a few of your own).

My desire? Not so much to give answers, but to seek God who gives answers (more of Him, less of me). -Lon

DAN P

Not just nations, but 'all nations.' :think:

As far as Baptism: Acts 16:14,15;18:8 Romans 6:3,4 Galatians 3:27 Colossians 2:12 (just scriptures, give a few of your own).

My desire? Not so much to give answers, but to seek God who gives answers (more of Him, less of me). -Lon

Hi and couuld say I do NOT to give answers but I will !!

The Greek word in Eph 4:5 in the KJV is not the word BAPTISM / BAPTIZO and just check the Greek text as it is the Greek BAPTISMA !!

It is the same in Rom 6:4 as the KJV has the word BAPTISM / BAPTIZO BUT the Greek text has the Greek word BAPTISMA ?

By the way this Greek BAPTISMA is used 22 times in the new testament !!

So , what does the Greek BAPTISMA then mean ??

dan p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
It is the same in Rom 6:4 as the KJV has the word BAPTISM / BAPTIZO BUT the Greek text has the Greek word BAPTISMA ?

So , what does the Greek BAPTISMA then mean ??

G908
βάπτισμα
baptisma
bap'-tis-mah
From G907; baptism (technically or figuratively): - baptism.

DAN P

G908
βάπτισμα
baptisma
bap'-tis-mah
From G907; baptism (technically or figuratively): - baptism.

Hi and does it say where BAPTISMA is used ?

It is used 22 times in Matthew - 1 Cor and in Eph 4:5 BUT Acts 19:4 is used by both Greek words BAPTIZO /BAPTISM and BAPTISMA is used first BAPTISMA and means that John is a BAPTIZER and BAPTIZED with repentance !!

dan p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus is the Christ. Christ means anointed.

No human anointed Jesus Christ with oil.

Jesus said, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink." (John 7:37)

What did Jesus offer them to drink?

"But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified." (John7:39)

Is Jesus' statement related to water?

"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi and I am talking about Acts 19:4 !!

Tell me when you find that verse ??

dan p

In post 49 somebody said, "John is a BAPTIZER and BAPTIZED with repentance !!"

Did John baptize Jesus with repentance or is that person's statement spurious?

DAN P

Hi and John the Baptist , baptized Israel in the river Jordan , confessing their sins as Acts 19:4 says !!

dan p

glorydaz

Did John baptize Jesus?

Did John baptize Jesus with repentance?

Jesus didn't need John's baptism of repentance, and John said as much. But Jesus told him to "suffer it to be so" in order to fulfil all righteousness. Jesus had no sins to forgive. Jesus had no reason for repentance concerning the Messiah....obviously He was the Messiah.

But, Jesus did require the anointing that would come upon Him from the Holy Spirit when He was baptised. That anointing, according to the law, was for His work of prophet, priest and king, and a witness to John the Baptist that this was the ONE spoken of by the Prophet Isaiah. It was not the water doing the anointing, but the Spirit descending, and remaining on Him for the purposes mentioned.

John 1:32-33 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.​

glorydaz

Jesus is the Christ. Christ means anointed.

No human anointed Jesus Christ with oil.

Jesus said, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink." (John 7:37)

What did Jesus offer them to drink?

"But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive; for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified." (John7:39)

Is Jesus' statement related to water?

"He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38)

It's the believing that gives life. The water is speaking of the Gospel which was to come, and the Spirit's ministry of the GOSPEL.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

We see it brought to fruition here. The Holy Spirit sanctifies (that anointing) through the washing OF THE WATER OF THE WORD. That WORD is the Gospel by which we are begotten unto eternal life. The water is the word. The Spirit sanctifies and cleanses through that word (Gospel)...we believe unto righteousness.

Ephesians 5:25-27
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.​

Danoh

John the Baptist...

John 1:11 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No. 1:22 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself? 1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. 1:24 And they which were sent were of the Pharisees. 1:25 And they asked him, and said unto him, Why baptizest thou then, if thou be not that Christ, nor Elias, neither that prophet?

Obviously, they were aware from their Law and the Prophets, that whomever said Law and the Prophets had been referring to, would be calling all Israel to come and submit to his water ritual.

Mark 1:1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God; 1:2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

These things had been...Prophesied.

Back to John the Baptist...

Matthew 3:5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire: 3:12 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire. 3:13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him. 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Hunh?

He was fulfilling certain Prophecies contained in their Law and the Prophets, and one of those concerned His being numbered with "His own" that is, as a sinner with them.

Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

He was both their Priest and their Sacrifice for sin (one reckoned for sin, with them).

Matthew 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Luke 22:35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

glorydaz

It's the believing that gives life. The water is speaking of the Gospel which was to come, and the Spirit's ministry of the GOSPEL.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

We see it brought to fruition here. The Holy Spirit sanctifies (that anointing) through the washing OF THE WATER OF THE WORD. That WORD is the Gospel by which we are begotten unto eternal life. The water is the word. The Spirit sanctifies and cleanses through that word (Gospel)...we believe unto righteousness.

Ephesians 5:25-27
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.​

So you agree that Jesus was anointed with water not with oil.

This is where we began.

LOL Clearly, this is the same way you read the Bible. You pick words out of context and ignore what is said.

The water is the word. Let's begin there.