What people think about Jesus Christ

PlastikBuddha

No, The Scriptures are clear, and corrobberated by one another.

The gospels were written long after the fact. Unless you already accept them as "gospel" and divinely inspired then these documents, especially when coupled with all of the other manuscripts that didn't make the final cut, leave plenty of room for all sorts of other possibilities. My point is that unless you are already a Christian the whole lunatic/lord dilemma is a non-issue.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
No, there isn't, because if that is all you esteem Him as: a teacher, you make Him into a liar. He said that He is The One and Only Way to The Father, The One and Only Truth about God and The One and Only Eternal Life. He is The Ressurrection. That 'christ-spirit' you keep talking about doesn't have anything at all to do with light or with God. It is a demon.

I allude in my post to Jesus being heralded as a great teacher for there is value in his teachings and actually practicing them. It is also shared there that Jesus is more than just a teacher,...teacher is just one of his functions. Also,..the Spirit of Christ and the 'Christ within us' is not a demon. You appear to be believe that about all things you dont understand or does not fit just perfectly into your pre-packaged doctrinal box or 'traditional terminology' is a 'demon' (what a wonderful imagination). The Spirit of Christ indwells all those who are his, and in this respect Christ is Spirit. Christ is a Life-giving Spirit.

paul

macguy

It has nothing to do with a test of one's character, but of the nature of the claim. If the only records of Socrates had him being 20 foot tall, or with the ability to turn water in to grape juice (go Mormons!), then the records themsleves would be in question, and so would his very existence.

That is, if those were the ONLY records of his existence were spoke in that manner. We could still hold to his existence if for example, we would expect exaggerations from his followers or whatnot as some have done with Jesus. Too bad skeptics haven't provided any good reason for Jesus's non-existence. The fact that there are even non-christian sources in reference to Him is a surprise in itself... Jesus-Myth Refuted.

Another key difference is that the actual existence of Socrates doesn't matter much. Even if he never existed, and (for example) his works were some kind of compilation of other's work, it wouldn't change the value of his work. With Jesus, if he didn't exist, or didn't perform certain miracles (like the resurrection), then most Christians would cease to follow his word.

Even if Jesus existed, and He did not rise from the dead then there's no reason to believe in Christianity. This is exactly what Paul had noted in the Bible by arguing that if Jesus did not rise from the dead, then our faith is in vain. No "key" difference here, just another futile attempt to refuse to accept the evidence for His existence. Whether He did what was said in the Bible is another story but no one has scholarly refuted His existence - rather we see evidence in confirmation of it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Notice that I only mentioned that the words attributed to Jesus were not necessarily his own. I grant that it is more likely than unlikely that there was a real person at the heart of the myth.
Are you inferring I protest too much? If so, not so. You actually inferred the opposite when you wrote:

“You are assuming that it is a given there was first century Jew walking around doing and saying everything that is attributed to Him…that assumption is misplaced. Was there a historical Jesus in one form or another? quite possibly. Did he walk on water, or claim to be the son of God? Not as likely.”
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence…For a man God, such extraordinary evidence should be easy to produce.
The evidence is in the Gospels and in the lives of his apostles and in the response from the people who heard him and saw and knew him who followed after. What evidence would you suggest could exist that would satisfy you?
Instead, we get what we would expect from a mythological figure or from my flying grandpa.
You get a record of his life and teachings, accounts of his miracles, an empty tomb and the testimony of his generation by virtue of their response to these claims and occurrences.
This whole thread is very C.S Lewis-ish. I was not aware the Tolkien also dabbled in theology.
I suspect most people contemplating the potential reality of Christ come to these questions, though Lewis did a better job of refining the arguments. The True Myth came from Tolkien. I include an excerpt from a fine piece by Joseph Pierce:

“Building on this philosophy of myth, Tolkien explained to Lewis that the story of Christ was the true myth at the very heart of history and at the very root of reality. Whereas the pagan myths were manifestations of God expressing Himself through the minds of poets, using the images of their "mythopoeia" to reveal fragments of His eternal truth, the true myth of Christ was a manifestation of God expressing Himself through Himself, with Himself, and in Himself. God, in the Incarnation, had revealed Himself as the ultimate poet who was creating reality, the true poem or true myth, in His own image. Thus, in a divinely inspired paradox, myth was revealed as the ultimate realism.

Such a revelation changed Lewis' whole conception of Christianity, precipitating his conversion. “
The Gospel passes itself as the testimony of Jesus’ disciples. Even an editor with half a brain would remove any mention of future events. Is this really proof of their authenticity?
I'm sorry, but didn't you earlier decide that the authors weren't even pretending to be the disciples? So which is it or does it depend on which you need to meet a given objection? To my mind you're talking about the eventual transcription of a near account. Given that you're dealing with a people who understood and were adept at oral history, this is untroubling to me.
Paul never met Jesus in life, and we have to take his word that he met him. Luke (or should that be plural?), Paul's companion, is even further removed from the actual events. These two make up most of the NT.
Yes, you have to believe that Paul is telling the truth about his conversion. Though given that he threw away position and power for a life of struggle and the death of a martyr there is every reason to suspect that he was earnest in his profession, whether you think it the result of a divine visitation or a malady.
They all describe the time frame of Jesus’ life. Why would you expect them to chronicle events outside of that time frame?
Because none of them are live TV. That is, they are all writing of the past but not in the past and as such important events that would add legitimacy to the claims attributed to Jesus would be worth mentioning, if only as a post script of sorts.
I'll beg to differ. What isn't questionable is that the divinity of Christ is more unlikely than a non-divine Christ, at least according to Occam.
No, not if you accept the miracles and resurrection. And you will doubtless counter that these miracles and this resurrection are unlikely, to which I will respond not if he is the Christ…Occam does not aid either of us here.

Originally Posted by Town Heretic
Actually, Christianity is a fairly unique religion...
Atonement is hardly unique, nor is an eternal life with God (or gods).
I don’t know of another religion where salvation and heaven are a gift from God that cannot be earned…I am reasonably certain that this is a unique vantage.
The idea that God had to sacrifice Himself to Himself so He could forgive us because one of our ancestors ate some fruit may be unique simply because no one in his right mind would think of such a scenario.
It is unique (something you suggested was absent from Christianity) and your response is to say, well, it’s unique because it’s absurd... If that’s the best you can do it will have to, I suppose. No one in his right mind or over the age of twelve would advance the “understanding” of man’s ruin and redemption as you have, unless that person was unfamiliar with the material in question and its historical treatment.
I'll give Paul props for an excellent marketing job.
Paul’s life and death deserve better treatment. There is nothing in our accounts of him to suggest he was other than an honest and honorable man who followed his conscience and gave his life in service to the truth he knew.

Originally Posted by Town Heretic
Assumptive if applied to Christ. According to the Gospels he accomplished everything that he said he would and was who he claimed to be.
That and 41 cents will buy you a postage stamp, unless you wait until May.
That and 41 cents buys you hope and absolute moral value and purpose. And you can keep the change…
If he didn't claim to be the son of God, then he wasn't delusional, which breaks out of your false dilemma.
Actually it isn’t my false dilemma. It only becomes so when you alter the premise.
But even if he did claim to be the son of God, there is no conflict between calling him delusional and accepting many of his teachings. In other news, was Siddhartha Gautama Batty, Beguiling or Buddha?
Not that I can tell. Of course, he never claimed to be God’s son.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
I don't follow your reasoning? Why should rejecting the New Testament as an accurate document mean all books are inaccurate?
It doesn't depending on how selective one is. Merely stating that one does not believe a certain book to be accurate testifies to opinion not to fact.

Aimiel

The gospels were written long after the fact.
They were written by those who saw and touched Him.
Unless you already accept them as "gospel" and divinely inspired then these documents, especially when coupled with all of the other manuscripts that didn't make the final cut, leave plenty of room for all sorts of other possibilities.
You're right. There's too much proof in Them that They are accurate, though, to be able to ignore or dismiss them, though. Isn't that why you feel 'threatened' by Them ... because They just might be Divine Truth?
My point is that unless you are already a Christian the whole lunatic/lord dilemma is a non-issue.
Who do you think The Lord really is? Let's start there. Who is Jesus? Is He God's Son? He claimed that He is. He claimed to have come down from Heaven. He said that He would raise Himself from the dead. Do you believe that He did?

Aimiel

I allude in my post to Jesus being heralded as a great teacher for there is value in his teachings and actually practicing them.
His teaching someone is evident in how they obey Him.
It is also shared there that Jesus is more than just a teacher,...teacher is just one of his functions.
What 'more' are you speaking of. Could you please list everything that you believe that Jesus is or isn't, just so that we might see more clearly what it is you ascribe to Him and what you don't?
Also,..the Spirit of Christ and the 'Christ within us' is not a demon.
I never said that He is. I said that the false christ-spirit that you and your fellow-un-believers speak of isn't Christ, it is anti-Christ (and not from above).
You appear to be believe that about all things you dont understand or does not fit just perfectly into your pre-packaged doctrinal box or 'traditional terminology' is a 'demon' (what a wonderful imagination).
Things aren't always what they seem, though. If you would allow that you 'seem' to yourself to be right with The Lord when in fact you really aren't, you just might be able to see Him, instead of seeing this false god that you've bowed down to and placed upon His Throne.
The Spirit of Christ indwells all those who are his, and in this respect Christ is Spirit. Christ is a Life-giving Spirit.
He is far more than that, but He isn't anything at all to those who aren't in a relationship with Him, except a subject of scorn.

PlastikBuddha

How long?

Well it varies by gospel, doesn't it? Long enough, certainly, that if one is so inclined, one can suppose error or even well-meaning fabrication to have crept in. These were people expecting certain things from their messiah and as the whole dealio with riding the *** and the horse into Jeruselum shows it is not outside the realm of possibility that there was some doctoring of the "facts" by folks in order to provide a more perfect fit with what prophecy demanded. More than enough to show the liar/lord argument for the over-simplified bit of carnie huckstership that it is, an enticement for those who already WANT to believe or a bulwark for those who already do and not a convincing argument for those who don't.

chair

Just curious what makes you believe the OT is accurate, but the NT is not? Any specifics?

1. I do not consider the OT completely accurate, at least in the modern sense of the term.
2. I accept the OT in general as true because it is my people's tradition. I do not claim that it must be true because its claims are so outlandish that nobody would make them if they weren't true. This seems to be the gist of Knight's OP.

PlastikBuddha

They were written by those who saw and touched Him.
Possibly. It is also quite possible that they were written, like many of the other gospels, by people who simply borrowed the names of the apostles as nom de plumes. Once again, it all matters on whether or not you already accept the gospels as the word of God.
You're right. There's too much proof in Them that They are accurate, though, to be able to ignore or dismiss them, though.
Only if you already believe. If not, well... let's just say they are not as convincing as you seem to believe.
Isn't that why you feel 'threatened' by Them ...
Threatened? :rotfl:
because They just might be Divine Truth?
I would love to have some Divine Truth. I'm just not so eager that I'm willing to believe anything.
Who do you think The Lord really is?
I don't.
Let's start there. Who is Jesus? Is He God's Son? He claimed that He is. He claimed to have come down from Heaven. He said that He would raise Himself from the dead. Do you believe that He did?

I don't know. If I ever find an answer I'll be sure to pass it along. I'm not here to question your faith or to denounce it. I'm making a point about what constitutes proof and about false dilemmas used as evidence.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Anyway, it varies by gospel, doesn't it? Long enough, certainly, that if one is so inclined, one can suppose error or even well-meaning fabrication to have crept in.

Hi PB, interesting to find you in the middle of this...Anyway, one can suppose anything, substantiating it is another matter, as a perusal of this thread would amply indicate.

These were people expecting certain things from their messiah and as the whole dealio with riding the *** and the horse into Jeruselum shows it is not outside the realm of possibility that there was some doctoring of the "facts" by folks in order to provide a more perfect fit with what prophecy demanded.

This goes back to the question of who Jesus actually is... If he is God incarnate then there is no reason to consider slight errors of memory or translation that were they factual would be of no moment. Tweaking facts goes to the liar portion of the argument, if on another level, and I'll address that momentarily.

More than enough to show the liar/lord argument for the over-simplified bit of carnie huckstership that it is, an enticement for those who already WANT to believe or a bulwark for those who already do and not a convincing argument for those who don't.

You could start with that supposition, just as anyone could say that suffering as illusion is an excuse to stand aside while horrors go on about you. But it wouldn't be accurate, just biased misunderstanding, no?

You also omitted lunacy from your consideration, but I can see where an either/or is easier to dismiss as a foundation for propaganda and maybe it just underpins your argument concerning how quickly one can begin to err in relating another’s position. If the liar/lunatic/Lord examination smacks of huckstership then so does any examination/posit of a position from bias of any degree or resulting in bias to any degree. And then you aren’t left with anything other than hard science that a person can discuss without someone pouring snake oil all over everyone…

And your “maybe they misunderstood him” was not included in consideration, I would suppose, because Lewis and others would understand what I understand and you should as well—that all you do is transfer the same arguments to another generation when you advance this proposition. Were those who related the narratives charlatans, or deluded, or telling the actual and observed truth. And if you suggest that they didn’t know better but advanced their understanding then we step back to the level where someone is making a claim that is or isn’t and ask those same questions.

PlastikBuddha

Hi PB, interesting to find you in the middle of this...Anyway, one can suppose anything, substantiating it is another matter, as a perusal of this thread would amply indicate.
Howdy, TH! :wave:

This goes back to the question of who Jesus actually is... If he is God incarnate then there is no reason to consider slight errors of memory or translation that were they factual would be of no moment. Tweaking facts goes to the liar portion of the argument, if on another level, and I'll address that momentarily.

You could start with that supposition, just as anyone could say that suffering as illusion is an excuse to stand aside while horrors go on about you. But it wouldn't be accurate, just biased misunderstanding, no?

You also omitted lunacy from your consideration, but I can see where an either/or is easier to dismiss as a foundation for propaganda and maybe it just underpins your argument concerning how quickly one can begin to err in relating another’s position. If the liar/lunatic/Lord examination smacks of huckstership then so does any examination/posit of a position from bias of any degree or resulting in bias to any degree. And then you aren’t left with anything other than hard science that a person can discuss without someone pouring snake oil all over everyone…
I'm not worried about snake-oil, I just feel a little insulted that people think I should fall all over myself in my rush to convert over a faulty argument. From a non-Christian standpoint saying that Jesus was misquoted for example makes as much sense as any of the other options. Of course, most people don't mean it as huckstership as I'm sure they believe what they argue.
And your “maybe they misunderstood him” was not included in consideration, I would suppose, because Lewis and others would understand what I understand and you should as well—that all you do is transfer the same arguments to another generation when you advance this proposition. Were those who related the narratives charlatans, or deluded, or telling the actual and observed truth. And if you suggest that they didn’t know better but advanced their understanding then we step back to the level where someone is making a claim that is or isn’t and ask those same questions.

Perhaps I should clarify.
Mistaken: Chist was not the Son of God but neither was he a lunatic. People can believe many things that seem strange when seen from an outside perspective but are still logically connected in a way that avoids the "poached egg" thing. For example, I don't think that the Buddha would be considered a lunatic and I doubt he was a liar. I would be inclined to say that he was mistaken. Could that conceivably be that case with Jesus? Not if you are a Christian, obviously, but for the rest of us it must be considered.

Misquoted: Christ and his message, over the decades that elapsed since his death, have been changed either subtly or not, by his followers through telling and retelling before being written down. It's a bit like trying to understand Socrates when all we have is Plato's writing on the subject. Is it possible that there are things included in the gospels that are misremembered? Absolutely.

Misunderstood: This one mostly goes back to some of those of gnostic texts I've been reading lately. Is it possible that the other gospels, which speak of a more symbolic message and a spiritual rebirth rather than a fleshly one are more accurate and that a literal interpretation of the gospels is indeed merely the exoteric part of a secret message? One could at least the argue the case.

Now I'm not arguing for any of these possibilities. I'm just bringing them up to show that the LLL argument is incomplete and that MMM should at least be considered if we are discussing things earnestly.

Aimiel

Possibly. It is also quite possible that they were written, like many of the other gospels, by people who simply borrowed the names of the apostles as nom de plumes.
No, it isn't. The corrobberation and integrity of these books proves their authority.
Once again, it all matters on whether or not you already accept the gospels as the word of God.
No, what matters is whether or not you take them as they are presented: honestly; instead of coming into them with pre-conceived notions of their being fictitious.
Only if you already believe. If not, well... let's just say they are not as convincing as you seem to believe.
Hardly. Perhaps you've never heard of Dr. Simon Greenleaf, then, eh? He was considered the most authoritative expert on evidence in his day, and was a law professor at Harvard Law School. He was asked to examine The Gosepls and to study the evidence presented in them to take them apart (he was agnostic, I believe, or perhaps atheist). He did so, and found that they are some of the most reliable 'evidence' ever presented with recorded words. Please don't believe me... read this article for yourself:
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/jesus/greenleaf.html
Threatened? :rotfl:
It's clear from your reaction that I've struck a nerve, but I doubt it was your funny-bone.
I don't know. If I ever find an answer I'll be sure to pass it along. I'm not here to question your faith or to denounce it. I'm making a point about what constitutes proof and about false dilemmas used as evidence.
Maybe you'll take the word of an expert by reading what he wrote about The Word of God. Maybe not. Maybe you have already made up your mind to continue to hide from God. :nono:

PlastikBuddha

No, it isn't. The corrobberation and integrity of these books proves their authority.
:rolleyes: You aren't listening to a thing I'm saying are you. All right, then- show me this integrity and "corrobberation" that denies doubt, then.
No, what matters is whether or not you take them as they are presented: honestly; instead of coming into them with pre-conceived notions of their being fictitious.Hardly. Perhaps you've never heard of Dr. Simon Greenleaf, then, eh? He was considered the most authoritative expert on evidence in his day, and was a law professor at Harvard Law School. He was asked to examine The Gosepls and to study the evidence presented in them to take them apart (he was agnostic, I believe, or perhaps atheist). He did so, and found that they are some of the most reliable 'evidence' ever presented with recorded words. Please don't believe me... read this article for yourself:
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/jesus/greenleaf.htmlIt's clear from your reaction that I've struck a nerve, but I doubt it was your funny-bone.Maybe you'll take the word of an expert by reading what he wrote about The Word of God. Maybe not. Maybe you have already made up your mind to continue to hide from God. :nono:

Hide from God? Like that would be possible, eh? Just because I haven't come to the same conclusions that you have doesn't mean that I am not an earnest seeker and I rather take exception that you imply otherwise. Perhaps you should try doing some reading. It's not hard to find books on the gospels, when they written, by whom, and what they mean. It requires being able to step outside your box, but you're a big boy, aren't you?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christians somehow think that the claims about Jesus (as a non-Christian, I do not accept the claims of the New Testament as being accurate) are unique or special in some way, and therefore the claims must either be fraudulent, crazy - or true.

I want to go on a little bit of a tangent. Do those false messiahs raise people from the dead? Or make the lame walk, and the blind see?

Josephous does document Jesus, and the beliefs about him. Not the actual actions, as he of course wasn't there.

The liar, lunatic, lord argument is oversimplified. Jesus could also be mistaken, misquoted, or misunderstood.

My suggestion is the book "The Case for Christ". Yes, he goes into where you don't believe, but also the historical part. Check it out sometime. Since those that don't believe claim to have an open mind.

The first time I was presented with this question, I was about 12 years old, and when I thought about the answer, I knew in my heart that Jesus is The Christ, The Son of The Living God. I don't know that because anyone taught it to me or because I read it somewhere. I had never heard it or been told it. I knew because my Father had revealed it to me inside of me. That knowledge: revelation knowledge from God is 'The Rock' upon which Jesus is building His Church. I always love to hear the stories of how people came to realize Who Jesus is: God in The Flesh. It is the most interesting part of Chrisitanity to me: hearing about others' faith and what God has done for them or how He dealt with problems for them. The Lord is Good. :thumb:

I think he leans on people of certain personality to witness to others.

Aimiel

You aren't listening to a thing I'm saying are you.
No, you're right, I haven't. I have, however, read everything you've written in this thread. :chuckle:
All right, then- show me this integrity and "corrobberation" that denies doubt, then.
Each one who comes to faith in The Lord has to do so on their own. It takes an open mind (and heart) and honest searching of The Scriptures.
Hide from God? Like that would be possible, eh?
Actually, yes. All it takes is ignorance, disdain or even outright rejection and He is out of the picture. He doesn't force Himself upon anyone.
Perhaps you should try doing some reading. It's not hard to find books on the gospels, when they written, by whom, and what they mean. It requires being able to step outside your box, but you're a big boy, aren't you?
I've got more than a few books on these as well as other closely-related subjects, if you'd like to borrow any. Most of them are written by people without any faith in God whatsoever and most are very thorough, too.

Did you read the article I posted a link to, or investigate Dr. Greenleaf's conclusions at all?

PlastikBuddha

No, you're right, I haven't. I have, however, read everything you've written in this thread. :chuckle:
:chuckle:
Each one who comes to faith in The Lord has to do so on their own. It takes an open mind (and heart) and honest searching of The Scriptures.
My mind is open. I have read the scriptures.
Actually, yes. All it takes is ignorance, disdain or even outright rejection and He is out of the picture.
Such a coy God you have. I am not ignorant, however, and I neither disdain or reject your God. I am simply unconvinced.
He doesn't force Himself upon anyone.I've got more than a few books on these as well as other closely-related subjects, if you'd like to borrow any. Most of them are written by people without any faith in God whatsoever and most are very thorough, too.
If you reccomend some I will take a look as time allows.
Did you read the article I posted a link to, or investigate Dr. Greenleaf's conclusions at all?
I'm not all the way through yet, but it seems that Greenleaf is making some pretty big suppositions:
The proof that God has revealed himself to man by special and express communications, and that Christianity constitutes that revelation, is no part of these inquiries. This has already been shown, in the most satisfactory manner by others, who have written expressly upon this subject

You see? It all comes down to whether or not you already accept that the gospels are indeed Divinely inspired.

eveningsky339

The Gospel of Mark was the first written-- around 30 years after the Resurrection of Christ. In the scope of history, this is a blink of an eye.

As for reliability, parts of the New Testament are written soon after post-Resurrection appearances of Christ. Acts records an instance of Jesus appearing to around 500 people. Paul basically says in some of his letters, "If you don't believe me, go ask someone who saw." These people were still alive when things were being written down.

It has been proposed recently that the whole Christian cult after the life of Jesus was something made-up. It was all about politics and power. In fact, according to proponents of this view "evidence" suggests that Jesus lived and died a natural de.ath.

No one bothers mentioning that eleven of the twelve disciples, along with Paul, died for their faith. Secular sources record the crucifixion of several disciples in various regions around the Near East. Now, I don't know about you, but I would seriously stop and rethink this Jesus thing if I was facing crucifixion!