• Feeds the poor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is very open and approachable

• Is a giving man

• Total voters

nikolai_42

The term "pastor's heart" seems to be thrown around a lot - and it usually implies some generally nice sentiments towards the flock. But what, when it comes down to it, is the most reliable sign that someone is actually called to be a pastor?

EDIT : I was going to allow multiple choices, but I want this to be THE most reliable indicator.

nikolai_42

I said "Will say things no one may want to hear" because the truth often hurts and someone who truly cares for another's spiritual well being will speak the truth no matter the cost. But it seems as though the term "pastor's heart" often implies a more .... squishy .... characteristic.

And, yes, I realize that most of these traits on the list are not mutually exclusive - and probably need to be a part of the list of characteristics of a pastor - but if only one could be present, which would it be? Someone who is willing to speak the truth no matter the cost. That gets my vote.

HisServant

1.) Works outside the church for his financial needs.
2.) Submits to the elders of the church as equals.
3.) Understand that his 'gift' may be of a temporary nature.
4.) His mission field is equally outside of the church as within (stop coddling and motivate people).

brinny

ECT What is the sign of a good pastor?

ECT What is the sign of a good pastor?

The term "pastor's heart" seems to be thrown around a lot - and it usually implies some generally nice sentiments towards the flock. But what, when it comes down to it, is the most reliable sign that someone is actually called to be a pastor?

EDIT : I was going to allow multiple choices, but I want this to be THE most reliable indicator.

i voted "other".....it is because unless a pastor loves God with all his heart, mind, soul, and strength, he ain't gonna do me no good, no matter how "nice" and "knowledgeable" he is. The devil himself is "knowledgeable" and knows the Bible better than most of us. And i've heard it tell that he can be soooo deceptive in his sheep's clothing, and he even "shines" like one "of God". But he ain't. What he's "lacking" BIG TIME is a love for God that is mentioned in the first sentence.

Unless a pastor truly loves God like that, well he prob'ly should stay outta da church...but then again, that's the devil's fav'rite place, cuz it's not a threat to him most of the time, is it?

Jus' sayin'
4chsmu1.gif

Thank you kindly.

nikolai_42

1.) Works outside the church for his financial needs.
2.) Submits to the elders of the church as equals.
3.) Understand that his 'gift' may be of a temporary nature.
4.) His mission field is equally outside of the church as within (stop coddling and motivate people).

Which of those would you say is most important?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No mention of him preaching the gospel (Christ crucified) in your poll.

nikolai_42

No mention of him preaching the gospel (Christ crucified) in your poll.

That is less a trait and more of a job requirement. It's like saying the most important trait in a doctor is to diagnose illness. The preaching of the gospel (an act) is assumed in my definition of pastor. But closely related to that is the option I believe - a willingness to say things that may offend some (or many) for the sake of truth. That is a part of the gospel.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
I Corinthians 1:18

HisServant

Have you ever been a Pastor?

Not my calling. I have 2 uncles and 2 cousins that were pastors/missionaries and we debate this all the time.

At the end of the day, they usually admit that their views are more based on tradition rather than scripture itself.

At least two of them regret that they through they messed up in their formal education by perusing a career in the ministry without a backup career. Now they are stuck because they have no other alternatives to making a living.

2edgedsword

Not my calling. I have 2 uncles and 2 cousins that were pastors/missionaries and we debate this all the time.

At the end of the day, they usually admit that their views are more based on tradition rather than scripture itself.

At least two of them regret that they through they messed up in their formal education by perusing a career in the ministry without a backup career. Now they are stuck because they have no other alternatives to making a living.

Thank you for the reply.

I had a board member once.....he left 2 months after I took the church and had been the head of the elder board for 10 years. The church thrived after he and his control left.

HisServant

Thank you for the reply.

I had a board member once.....he left 2 months after I took the church and had been the head of the elder board for 10 years. The church thrived after he and his control left.

Thrived is a relative term.. its not about quantity, is about quality.

I have been in a few churches were the membership skyrocketed all due to cult of personality... then the bottom fell out when it was revealed that the pastor was a child abuser... although they suppressed the knowledge for a couple years.

2edgedsword

Thrived is a relative term.. its not about quantity, is about quality.

I have been in a few churches were the membership skyrocketed all due to cult of personality... then the bottom fell out when it was revealed that the pastor was a child abuser... although they suppressed the knowledge for a couple years.

You assumed I meant numbers, you should not assume.

It thrived because the head elder had an attitude that he was equal to me and could direct budget, votes and it was his church.
He used intimidation tactics and all sorts of foolishness to keep control over God's church, God's people and God's Called Shepherd.

When control was removed, people grew and felt liked they belonged.

God helped us make disciples in that church that did 5 things:

Teach
preach
heal
deliver
demonstrate.

When quality of excellence in teaching, preaching and reaching is accomplished, quantity becomes the result.

You cannot let one incident insulate you into the deception that numbers do not matter and it is only quality. Jesus thought numbers were very important, he died, was buried and arose for everyone!

It is always the right balance of quality and quantity.

NO elder has equal authority with a pastor. The Pastor is called and answerable to God, not an elder or board.

A wise old mentor pastor of mine told me once....
A truly called pastor will let an elder think that he has equal or higher authority and will listen to him.....no truly called elder will ever think has has equal or higher authority over the pastor he serves....

HisServant

This is why I like the Presbyterianism form of government... there is no head elder. All elders have one vote with the pastor being the moderator but has no vote at all.

FYI, a pastor is nothing more than an elder with the gift of teaching according to scripture... so to say any person is superior within the hierarchy of the eldership of a church is bogus.
'

FYI, the term pastor is only in scriptures twice, where it is mentioned along with a lot of other titles and and isn't superior to any other office... you need to do your homework...a s it seems you have your ego running the show.

2edgedsword

This is why I like the Presbyterianism form of government... there is no head elder. All elders have one vote with the pastor being the moderator but has no vote at all.

FYI, a pastor is nothing more than an elder with the gift of teaching according to scripture... so to say any person is superior within the hierarchy of the eldership of a church is bogus.
'

We agree to disagree on this and it is fine. Jesus is the head of the church anyway.

Cross Reference

'

FYI, the term pastor is only in scriptures twice, where it is mentioned along with a lot of other titles and and isn't superior to any other office... you need to do your homework...a s it seems you have your ego running the show.

You are both so wrong.