What is faith?

iouae

We usually speak of faith as a belief e.g. Christian faith.

But looking at Heb 11:1 it says...

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

In mathematical terms faith = substance = evidence

It does not say faith is what you hope for or something unseen.
The word "faith" itself is an abstract noun like "freedom, love, power, and redemption" meaning something theoretical and abstract.

To this add James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

And one gets faith = substance = evidence = works.

Look at every example of faith in Heb 11 and it is always accompanied by an action, or a work. Even God's faith in verse 3 has a work (creating the earth).

So we can hope for something and believe in something, but if it has no substance, no evidence, no work, no action - then is it true Biblical faith?

Paul seems at times to criticise works based faith.
But he holds up Abraham as our father in the faith.
Yet, Abraham's believed God, and showed it by works.

Probably James is the most insistent that faith without works is dead.
So insistent is he that he says it 7 times in one Chapter viz. James Chapter 2.

My question then is this. Can faith be a belief system only? Does it have to be accompanied by action or substance or evidence?

Truster

Faith is an English word that does not convey what the Hebrew aman nor the Greek pistuo means and conveys. The English word faith means to psych up the mental attributes and is inherent in all people.

daqq

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

The word "faith" itself is an abstract noun like "freedom, love, power, and redemption" meaning something theoretical and abstract.

To this add James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Look at every example of faith in Heb 11 and it is always accompanied by an action, or a work. Even God's faith in verse 3 has a work (creating the earth).

So we can hope for something and believe in something, but if it has no substance, no evidence, no work, no action - then is it true Biblical faith?

My question then is this. Can faith be a belief system only? Does it have to be accompanied by action or substance or evidence?

Good question and good thread. The answer appears to be given likewise in the same chapter and statement with what James says concerning father Abraham, that is, that it was not UNTIL father Abraham had offered up Isaac his son upon the altar that he was justified.

James 2:19-24 KJV
19. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21. Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22. Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
23. And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Thus we read in Genesis 15:6 that Abraham believed IN/INTO YHWH and it was accounted unto him for righteousness.

Genesis 15:4-6
4. And, behold, the word of YHWH came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir.
5. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.
6. And he believed in YHWH; and he counted it to him for righteousness.

However, and this is a big "however", the events which tested and proved the enduring faithfulness of father Abraham would not transpire until Genesis 22:1-18, which occurred, at the very least, some twenty years later, (Ishmael was thirteen when Abraham circumcised him at age ninety-nine and some outside estimates even place Isaac at the age of twenty-eight in Genesis 22). This is no doubt a large part of the overall point which James is making because he writes exactly the same: "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?" (Genesis 22:1-18) "You see how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? AND THE SCRIPTURE WAS FULFILLED, WHICH SAYS, Abraham believed God, and it was accounted unto him for righteousness", (Genesis 15:6). The span of time between the two events is at least twenty years and yet James says that the statement quoted from Genesis 15:6 was not "fulfilled" until the actions of father Abraham in Genesis 22:10.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There are two different meanings. Ask your self how can people be saved by the faith of Christ if it is just a belief.

Last edited:

fzappa13

:doh:

... and black is white and up is down and left is really right.

Can you not read?

Romans 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Quetzal

Great question, I look forward to exploring this a bit.

I like this definition. It includes a way of thinking outside of the religious experience. That is, I have faith in many things outside of me beliefs: I have faith my car will start, I have faith my girlfriend will remain loyal, I have faith my pilot will not swan dive the plane into the side of a mountain; etc. I suppose one could argue there is evidence in these instances, but there is also a strong element of faith, too.

In my mind, isn't that the purest form of faith? Biblical faith that is the foundation of the Christian tradition, bases it's entire belief on faith. You cannot provide me empirical evidence for these things. That is what makes this kind of faith so special. It is only experienced by those who devote themselves to it, only then is a true understanding reached... right?

I believe faith can be strengthened through action, substance, and evidence. However you define and carryout those things is up to you.

iouae

Great question, I look forward to exploring this a bit.

I like this definition. It includes a way of thinking outside of the religious experience. That is, I have faith in many things outside of me beliefs: I have faith my car will start, I have faith my girlfriend will remain loyal, I have faith my pilot will not swan dive the plane into the side of a mountain; etc. I suppose one could argue there is evidence in these instances, but there is also a strong element of faith, too.

As you outlined above, it is not just the just who live by faith. We all do every day.

But I have a feeling that when Paul wrote this ...

Hebrews 10:38 Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

... it is referring to the faith as exemplified in Heb 11.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Perhaps it is like a tiny grain of seed: though it may seem lost for now, yet perahps it is merely lost somewhere inside you. :)

:thumb:

are there actions we can take to feed that seed, to help it to sprout?

daqq

:thumb:

are there actions we can take to feed that seed, to help it to sprout?

One plants and another waters but we also can ficilitate a certain sanctification and cleansing by the washing of water in the word, (Ephesians 5:26). :)

nikolai_42

With you so far...

I think you've missed something here since anyone can have faith in anything (or anyone) - misplaced or not. But the main place I would disagree here is that the faith described is not in the thing given, but in the giver. Otherwise, having faith that you will receive (whatever) is just faith in yourself. And since that obviously isn't scriptural, the tendency then is to make faith something (as you have said) abstract. But it really isn't. And I think that's where the whole "evidence" thing is tripping you up (if I'm reading you correctly). Remember, it is the evidence of things not seen. And that apparent dichotomy is troublesome if the understanding of faith is in the thing itself (or in yourself). But if it is implicitly in God, then faith is understood to be trust - and I would even say an accompanying assurance - that God is faithful who has promised. And that is why Abraham could trust God and never, his entire natural life, received what God actually promised.

But as you read Hebrews 11 more, you realize that it was even more than just a settled "feeling" that God would provide. Abraham "...looked for a city whose builder and maker is God." (Heb 11:10). Which leads very nicely into verse 13 that makes it crystal clear that this faith reveals that He has promised an eternal habitation to the faithful - something that goes beyond natural understanding. They could, in essence, continue to look and say "Nope. That's not it." all their lives because the trust they have in God wasn't just "He will provide" but even more that He had something more than what they saw. Otherwise, why not settle for some natural country (11:15)? So implicit in that faith (or trust) is the evidence - the recognition that there is something more. That God has provided something more - and that while they might not know precisely what that might be, they know it when they see it (and they know what isn't it when they see that).

And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:
God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Hebrews 11:39-40

I would change that slightly to (faith=substance=evidence)-->works

Works are not faith. But the man who doesn't act on what he knows from the God he trusts really can't be said to have faith, can he?

Again, it isn't God's faith, it is our understanding. Even though we didn't see God create, we have the evidence for it in Creation. But that only goes to the original point I had about where faith lies. As for it requiring works, it flows just as naturally from faith as water over a fall. The water isn't the waterfall, but it certainly does fall in the event it goes over an edge.

I would argue that it isn't true faith period. It's like saying I believe this chair will hold me and then selecting another chair. That said, the nature of faith doesn't say that sitting on the chair IS trust - rather that it evidences that trust. It seems like too fine a point, but it is critical if one is to be able to read James and Paul as saying something slightly different (and so not directly contradicting one another on so critical an issue). James is being very practical. Paul is speaking about the faith itself.

Paul is very much dealing with faith and justification by faith. That is, he is treating what it is - not how it expresses itself. And therein (I think) lies a critical distinction for understanding where faith lies. If it lies in one's self, then the act itself can be considered faith and you can then justify yourself by your actions. But if faith is in Christ, then there is no work needed by you because the faith itself is not in you or in the thing itself (salvation or justification) but in the one giving it.

Corrie Ten Boom was quoted as saying (I'm paraphrasing) that in the concentration camp, she had no faith - she only had Jesus. She said that if her trust was in her own faith, then she would have failed. But because it was in Christ (or came to be solidified in Him) then she was able to persevere and was delivered. In other words, her faith was not by works, but that faith in Christ brought her to a place where she could (and did) work. It seems a trifling point, but it makes all the difference in the world when the trying of our faith comes...

daqq

good answer

i was looking for:

reading your bible
praying
serving others

We would certainly be in agreement, and especially on the first two points, for "reading your Bible" is equivalent to "the washing of water in the word" because the word is the water of life or living water. However, in the time when Paul would have written that passage, the only Word that would have likely been available to the leaders of the congregations would have been possibly a copy of the Septuagint, in some form or another, and a primitive Gospel account or "Q source" with the sayings of Yeshua, (because Yeshua interprets Torah, Prophets, and Writings by his Testimony, parables, sayings, and doctrine). So, at least in the case with the first two, (reading your Bible and praying) it is not so much works of the hands as it is works of the eyes, ears, and heart. He that has two ears, let him buy a sword: he that has an ear, let hear. :crackup: