What does God's Holy Law Demand?

JonahofAkron

Paul only circumcised Timothy so he could take Timothy with him to try and convert the Jews.

Acts 16:3 Paul wanted to take him along on the journey, so he circumcised him because of the Jews who lived in that area, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.
That's equivalent to 'let's deceive people about you and try to convince them to leave the laws we just used on your penis'.... Nope. Not happening. You are calling Paul a liar for the sake of the gospel. Sin is sin, especially if you are sinning to get someone to Christ. That's quite the contradiction is terms.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

God's Truth

Jews are still required to be circumcised because of the Abrahamic covenant. Not because of the Mosaic covenant. A believing Jew needs to be circumcised in obedience with the Abrahamic covenant. That's why Tim was and Titus was not.

Jewish believers are the Remnant of Israel.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

No one is required to be circumcised, not the Gentiles and not the Jews.

Paul calls the Jews who were pushing circumcision "mutilators of the flesh".

Philippians 3:2 Watch out for those dogs, those workers of evil, those mutilators of the flesh! 3For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh—…

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

God's Truth

That's equivalent to 'let's deceive people about you and try to convince them to leave the laws we just used on your penis'.... Nope. Not happening. You are calling Paul a liar for the sake of the gospel. Sin is sin, especially if you are sinning to get someone to Christ. That's quite the contradiction is terms.

You are falsely judging Paul.

JonahofAkron

No one is required to be circumcised, not the Gentiles and not the Jews.

Paul calls the Jews who were pushing circumcision "mutilators of the flesh".

Philippians 3:2 Watch out for those dogs, those workers of evil, those mutilators of the flesh! 3For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh—…

Galatians 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Why circumcise Timothy?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Both. We know what is wrong because we know what God has said (commanded). But it is wrong whether or not a person knows God's commands or not.

That isn't what I asked.

I did not ask whether its wrong whether WE know it or not. My question is about the nature of right and wrong.

Is murder wrong because God said, "Thou shalt not murder." or did God say, "Thou shalt not murder." because murder IS wrong?

I promise that this is NOT some sort of trick question! You've already answered it when you said that Cain did wrong when he killed Able. Just answer the question directly. All I'm doing here is establishing common ground, establishing premises upon which to continue.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Jews are still required to be circumcised because of the Abrahamic covenant. Not because of the Mosaic covenant. A believing Jew needs to be circumcised in obedience with the Abrahamic covenant. That's why Tim was and Titus was not.

There are no Jews alive on this planet any more, except ethnically speaking, not in God's eyes anyway.

Colossians 3:11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.

Resting in Him,
Clete

God's Truth

Guess what? You don't get to speak for Jews, nor do you get to speak for God.

Alive and kicking...

God does not care if you are an ethnic Jew or not.

God cut off all the faithless Jews and left all to disobedience, right there with the non blood related to Abraham Gentiles.

Romans 11:32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

John 1:13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
That isn't what I asked.

I did not ask whether its wrong whether WE know it or not. My question is about the nature of right and wrong.

Is murder wrong because God said, "Thou shalt not murder." or did God say, "Thou shalt not murder." because murder IS wrong?

I promise that this is NOT some sort of trick question! You've already answered it when you said that Cain did wrong when he killed Able. Just answer the question directly. All I'm doing here is establishing common ground, establishing premises upon which to continue.

Resting in Him,
Clete

God has never said anything wrong ever. What He has said makes things wrong, but they were wrong before He said or commanded them. He did not wait to make these things wrong. They were wrong already. So there is right and wrong defined by God and revealed by God even in written form with time as God desired. God's word is not only written down.

Ben Masada

Calhacavod intojoy! Now, you are ready to receive a new name better than sons and daughters. (Isaiah 56:1-8.

JonahofAkron

God has never said anything wrong ever. What He has said makes things wrong, but they were wrong before He said or commanded them. He did not wait to make these things wrong. They were wrong already. So there is right and wrong defined by God and revealed by God even in written form with time as God desired. God's word is not only written down.
Agreed. If God is eternal (without beginning or ending), His ways are eternal (that's the definition of the Torah).

JonahofAkron

That isn't what I asked.

Resting in Him,
Clete
If God is eternal, his law is eternal. I think it's important to realize that if He commanded something, it would not have magically been turned into the right thing to do; it would have been right eternally.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
There are no Jews alive on this planet any more, except ethnically speaking, not in God's eyes anyway.

Colossians 3:11 where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.

Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Hahahaha good one Cletan

Epoisses

In Paul's day the Jews were observant of Mosaic law and the law required Timothy to be circumcised. It was done to avoid problems of credibility.

In our day we live by grace thru faith and circumcision is done for medical reasons to believers and unbelievers.