What Are You Listening To Now VII

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
All in all, though, the 1980s was not a good decade for musicians or musical artists. It was ruled by money and cocaine in a way that the music scene had never been, before. And the effect was not positive.

Okay, well that was fun... kind of. :chuckle:

But I have to end with this: I don't agree with you that it wasn't a good decade for music. I think that's your opinion, and that's fine, but I think there was a lot of good music being created - just maybe not in the places you were looking.

PureX

Okay, well that was fun... kind of. :chuckle:

But I have to end with this: I don't agree with you that it wasn't a good decade for music. I think that's your opinion, and that's fine, but I think there was a lot of good music being created - just maybe not in the places you were looking.
There is always a lot of good music being created, as humans are creatively irrepressible. The 80s was that decade when money became the motive of most of the music we saw and heard. And money has NEVER been a good motive for artistic expression. In fact, pursuing money isn't a good motive for much of anything, beyond survival.

You were trying to pick out some of the better examples from the 80s, but how about thinking of some of the worst?

Kiss-band-picture.jpg

Nothing more need be said.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There is always a lot of good music being created, as humans are creatively irrepressible. The 80s was that decade when money became the motive of most of the music we saw and heard. And money has NEVER been a good motive for artistic expression. In fact, pursuing money isn't a good motive for much of anything, beyond survival.

You were trying to pick out some of the better examples from the 80s, but how about thinking of some of the worst?

Nothing more need be said.

I was actually just pulling from what I remember, what would've been on the radio. But there was so much that was great that was outside the top 40.

Like this:

I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones

PureX

I was actually just pulling from what I remember, what would've been on the radio. But there was so much that was great that was outside the top 40.
That's true, but I don't consider artists that began in the 60s or 70s as "80s" music. Pink Floyd was fantastic, but even though they were touring in the early 80s, I don't consider them 80s artists.

The Ramones and Sex Pistols, etc., were great in terms of their reaction to a banal culture (much as the early rock-and-rollers were) but the music was so simple it just didn't leave them anywhere to go. And punk was really born in the late 70s, not the 80s.

I really think the best of the 80s was in the genre of full on pop, like Micheal Jackson. He was truly spectacular in the 80s. Yet even he did not come from the 80s, but from the late 60s and 70s.

We think of the Bee Gees as quintessential 80s (disco) musicians, yet they, too came from the late 60s and 70s.

The music that actually came from the 80s was new wave, disco, glam rock, and a whole lot of pop-schlock. Almost all of which were more about making money than making music.