What Are You Listening To Now VII

PureX

This song which is a poem from St. John of the Cross, arranged and sung by Loreena is movingly beautiful, other worldly. A true gem from the album "The mask and the mirror". A most intimate song between lovers, human and divine.
Very interesting. The music is a little 'sugary' for me, and I would think way too sugary for 'Dark Night of the Soul' (by my reckoning). I read some from that book back when I was early in recovery and desperately grasping for … hope. It was helpful to me because what I read was a kind of poetic dissertation on the 'stripping bare' of the self (ego) that happened to novice monks when they first joined the order and took a vow of silence and obedience. Left alone with themselves, a kind of internal struggle began to rage as the ego tried desperately to maintain it's idea of 'self' in a life where 'self' had no credibility. It was a battle that it would eventually lose, plunging the novice into fear and despair: a kind of spiritual darkness. Yet it's in that deep darkness that even the slightest glimmer of light can be seen. And embraced. And with that embracing of that inner light, the novice begins to find himself, anew. As a monk, now. A servant. Rather than the young mortal man he had been, before.

Needless to say I could identify with this idea of darkness (loss of self), and rebirth, as I was trying to find a way out of the abyss of alcohol addiction. Later, I even made a sculpture called "Dark Night of the Soul" (eventually renamed "The Awakening").