What and who did Paul preach?

Gary K

Banned
Paul preached in Athens just before he went to Corinth.

Acts 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;

What did Paul preach in Athens?

Acts 17: 22 ¶Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
32 ¶And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.
33 So Paul departed from among them.
34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Now what did Paul preach in Corinth?

1Corinthians 2: 1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Reading the rest of his writings it's very apparent that Paul learned a major lesson from his experience in Athens for he taught nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified ever afterwards. So why do we see no threads here on Jesus other than the ones I have started? I don't understand this paucity of looking to Jesus.

fzappa13

Paul preached in Athens just before he went to Corinth.

Acts 18:1 After these things Paul departed from Athens, and came to Corinth;

What did Paul preach in Athens?

Acts 17: 22 ¶Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
32 ¶And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked: and others said, We will hear thee again of this matter.
33 So Paul departed from among them.
34 Howbeit certain men clave unto him, and believed: among the which was Dionysius the Areopagite, and a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

Now what did Paul preach in Corinth?

1Corinthians 2: 1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Reading the rest of his writings it's very apparent that Paul learned a major lesson from his experience in Athens for he taught nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified ever afterwards. So why do we see no threads here on Jesus other than the ones I have started? I don't understand this paucity of looking to Jesus.
Well, I think that one might expect that Paul would take a somewhat different tact when speaking to Greeks or Jews. A good communicator will adjust to his audience and he said as much elsewhere. When talking to the Greeks he was talking to those almost completely unfamiliar with the story of Jesus. When talking to Jewish believers he was talking to people not only familiar with the story of Jesus but had already advanced to the stage of controversy and spurious doctrines with which he had to contend and that may well have lead to him getting back to square one and paring it all down to Jesus and Him crucified more so than anything that transpired in Greece.

As it concerns the paucity of posts about Jesus I can't speak to that directly in that I haven't been a regular poster here for many years but I can tell you that the last exchange I had before my hiatus involved bracing a poster who was part of the chosen here who suggested that the "red words" in the Bible weren't for said chosen. That might be a possible partial answer to your question.

Last edited:

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Well, I think that one might expect that Paul would take a somewhat different tact when speaking to Greeks or Jews. A good communicator will adjust to his audience and he said as much elsewhere. When talking to the Greeks he was talking to those almost completely unfamiliar with the story of Jesus. When talking to Jewish believers he was talking to people not only familiar with the story of Jesus but had already advanced to the stage of controversy and spurious doctrines with which he had to contend and that may well have lead to him getting back to square one and paring it all down to Jesus and Him crucified more so than anything that transpired in Greece.

As it concerns the paucity of posts about Jesus I can't speak to that directly in that I haven't been a regular poster here for many years but I can tell you that the last exchange I had before my hiatus involved bracing a poster who was part of the chosen here who suggested that the "red words" in the Bible weren't for said chosen. That might be a possible partial answer to your question.
"Tack." It's an analogy from sailing. It's a different direction with regard to the blowing wind, you can go right into the wind head on, or you can come at it from different tacks. This is when you have to go in the direction against the wind, to like get back home or to your quay. You can't just wait it out, so you need to find a tack that works, even though you're in the sailboat, and you're trying to go into the wind. You need the right tack.

(It's even more complicated though, you take two distinct tacks when heading into the wind, and you wind up making a "saw tooth" pattern toward your destination, you take one tack and head north say, and then turn around and take a different tack back southward. In the process of doing that back-and-forth, you get closer to your destination a little. So it's a game of patience and precision. If you do each repetition right, that's the quickest way to arrive at your destination; even though it's not going to be quick, you will arrive way faster than your buddy who hasn't figured out the two-tack saw-tooth approach yet. Until he does, he's not going to be able to head into the wind. He's just going to have to wait for it to die down, he's at the mercy of the wind unless he figures out the right tack(s).)

Are you a Frank Zappa fan, btw? I became familiar with his son before I knew anything about Papa Zappa ... he is one of the vulgarest raunchiest stars I've ever encountered, but he was an amazing musician. For the intention of Frank Zappa: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit; amen.

Last edited:

Gary K

Banned

The Corinthians were also pagans as Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. His letters were all written to Gentile churches.

I understand that the chosen here don't believe Jesus is is directly speaking to them but it makes no sense to me as they still call themselves Christians. And what is a Christian? A follower of Jesus. The Bible even defines Christian that way.

Acts 11: 26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The dictionary definition of Christian.

Adjective: christian kris-chun [N. Amer], kris-tee-un or kris-chun [Brit]
  1. Following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ
Noun: Christian kris-chun [N. Amer], kris-tee-un or kris-chun [Brit]
  1. A religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
Adjective: Christian kris-chun [N. Amer], kris-tee-un or kris-chun [Brit]
  1. (religion) relating to or characteristic of Christianity
    "Christian rites"

Idolater

The Corinthians were also pagans as Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles.
Yes. "Pagan" and "Gentile" are near synonyms in the Bible.

His letters were all written to Gentile churches.
Unless he wrote Hebrews. :D

I understand that the chosen here don't believe Jesus is is [sic] directly speaking to them but it makes no sense to me as they still call themselves Christians. And what is a Christian? A follower of Jesus. The Bible even defines Christian that way.
Anybody who follows Paul the Apostle Paul Saint Paul the Apostle is absolutely a Christian; Paul is peddling Jesus. John 3:16. It doesn't mention that you can't only follow one particular Apostle, rather than the whole Twelve of them, to be a Christian. You're dealing with I believe real Christians with real Christian faith here at TOL, mostly. We differ in our systematic theology, and everybody knows that at most, only one systematic theology can be right. (Systematic theology is basically your interpretation of the whole entire Bible. Your entire understanding of Jesus and God and the whole Christian faith and what it means.)

Acts 11: 26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

1. Following the teachings or manifesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ
  1. A religious person who believes Jesus is the Christ and who is a member of a Christian denomination
    "Christian rites"
It's interesting, Peter's first see was Antioch, according to history. "History" here basically means "Tradition" when you hear "Tradition" coming out of a Catholic's mouth, just fyi. When we're talking about "Tradition," that's what we're talking about; history. So Sacred or Apostolic Tradition is history which concerned the Apostles' teaching.

fzappa13

"Tack." It's an analogy from sailing. It's a different direction with regard to the blowing wind, you can go right into the wind head on, or you can come at it from different tacks. This is when you have to go in the direction against the wind, to like get back home or to your quay. You can't just wait it out, so you need to find a tack that works, even though you're in the sailboat, and you're trying to go into the wind. You need the right tack.

(It's even more complicated though, you take two distinct tacks when heading into the wind, and you wind up making a "saw tooth" pattern toward your destination, you take one tack and head north say, and then turn around and take a different tack back southward. In the process of doing that back-and-forth, you get closer to your destination a little. So it's a game of patience and precision. If you do each repetition right, that's the quickest way to arrive at your destination; even though it's not going to be quick, you will arrive way faster than your buddy who hasn't figured out the two-tack saw-tooth approach yet. Until he does, he's not going to be able to head into the wind. He's just going to have to wait for it to die down, he's at the mercy of the wind unless he figures out the right tack(s).)

Are you a Frank Zappa fan, btw? I became familiar with his son before I knew anything about Papa Zappa ... he is one of the vulgarest raunchiest stars I've ever encountered, but he was an amazing musician. For the intention of Frank Zappa: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit; amen.
Yes, tack was my intent but, the hour was late and the spellchecker here leaves something to be desired. Sailing is a uniquely rewarding experience that does require that you account for the wind ... much like you have to take your audience into account when trying to convey a thought. Yes, I'm an FZ fan. He is, I think, somewhat misunderstood by most that don't investigate him thoroughly. Musically, he was to Rock what Miles Davis was to Jazz. He ran a finishing school for the best and brightest of his day and they all lined up to get into his band as, once you made it, you had instant credibility in the profession and you were going to be challenged. Politically and financially he was an iconoclast. There are a ton of interviews of him on YouTube primarily because he was a great interview and he would suffer them in part because he owned his own record company and needed to sell records.

fzappa13

The Corinthians were also pagans as Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles. His letters were all written to Gentile churches.

I understand that the chosen here don't believe Jesus is is directly speaking to them but it makes no sense to me as they still call themselves Christians. And what is a Christian? A follower of Jesus. The Bible even defines Christian that way.

"Christian rites"
It is unfortunate the lengths to which the dispensationist/Replacement Theology adherents have gone to bifurcate the tree they were grafted into.

fzappa13

Yes. "Pagan" and "Gentile" are near synonyms in the Bible.

Unless he wrote Hebrews. :D

Anybody who follows Paul the Apostle Paul Saint Paul the Apostle is absolutely a Christian; Paul is peddling Jesus. John 3:16. It doesn't mention that you can't only follow one particular Apostle, rather than the whole Twelve of them, to be a Christian. You're dealing with I believe real Christians with real Christian faith here at TOL, mostly. We differ in our systematic theology, and everybody knows that at most, only one systematic theology can be right. (Systematic theology is basically your interpretation of the whole entire Bible. Your entire understanding of Jesus and God and the whole Christian faith and what it means.)

It's interesting, Peter's first see was Antioch, according to history. "History" here basically means "Tradition" when you hear "Tradition" coming out of a Catholic's mouth, just fyi. When we're talking about "Tradition," that's what we're talking about; history. So Sacred or Apostolic Tradition is history which concerned the Apostles' teaching.
Yes, Hebrews throws a wrench in a lot of people's theology. Who is a Jew? Ha!

Gary K

Banned
Yes, Hebrews throws a wrench in a lot of people's theology. Who is a Jew? Ha!
So do a lot of Paul's writings.

Romans 2: 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

1Corinthians 12: 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 1: 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gslatians 3: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

fzappa13

So do a lot of Paul's writings.

Romans 2: 28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

1Corinthians 12: 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Galatians 1: 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gslatians 3: 11 Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.

Be careful where you lay that down ... somebody's liable to trip over it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm sure he learned how to do things along the way. But the books of the Bible are in order. Specifically the dispensations are in order, and inside the dispensation of grace is an order. And order of revelation also. From Acts.

15 So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.

Gary K

Banned
I'm sure he learned how to do things along the way. But the books of the Bible are in order. Specifically the dispensations are in order, and inside the dispensation of grace is an order. And order of revelation also. From Acts.

15 So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. 16 But rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister and a witness both of the things which you have seen and of the things which I will yet reveal to you.
Do you think Jesus would reveal things to Paul that conflicted with the OT as Jesus used OT scripture to defeat the devil during the temptation in the wilderness and constantly quoted it during His entire ministry?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you think Jesus would reveal things to Paul that conflicted with the OT as Jesus used OT scripture to defeat the devil during the temptation in the wilderness and constantly quoted it during His entire ministry?
It doesn't matter what I think. If you had an example in your attempted snare, you would have deployed it. Quote scripture and will put in context for you. That means explain it. It is to believed, not interpreted.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but those things which are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Right Divider

Body part
What if God did reveal things that contradicted with what came before?
What would be wrong with that?
Cannot God do what He wants?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not in the mind of the political left, who hide their intentions in any way possible. They want to own everything and will appropriate. Ray Comfort in his street interviews shows this. Meaning it is the other way around, and being morally responsible to God is abhorrent to them. So they deny his existence. I'm not grouping Gary K there, I don't know who he is and have only seen what is right here.

As for doing what he wants....

13 But he answered one of them and said, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things?

Idolater

What if God did reveal things that contradicted with what came before?
What would be wrong with that?
We should expect the New Covenant to contradict the Old Covenant, otherwise they're just the same and there's no reason to call them something different. But "contradict" here is just the same as "amend." There are many things which remain the same in the New Covenant, and there are many things which are different.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We should expect the New Covenant to contradict the Old Covenant, otherwise they're just the same and there's no reason to call them something different. But "contradict" here is just the same as "amend." There are many things which remain the same in the New Covenant, and there are many things which are different.
What about an everlasting covenant?

Peter states the New Covenant is future in Acts 15, when Israel is saved as the Gentiles already are, which is by faith.

11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

This is several years after Paul's ministry has started.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, Jesus said to search the scriptures.
And so did Paul.
Paul was very educated on what the scriptures said.
But just like Jesus' disciples had been guilty of, Paul's expectation of the fulfilment (the actual meaning) of those scriptures were skewed until Christ opened their eyes; which often turned out to be something completely different (and even contradicted) what they had previously thought the actual meaning of those scriptures were really all about.

They saw scripture as black & white until Christ showed them the scriptures in living color.