Welcome To The Dominant Culture's Religious Holy Month!

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I'm looking for traditional activities that we can schedule for each day

the only one I have so far is the traditional licking of the billboard signs along the public highways (and that might only be celebrated in Alabama), but i don't know if that's a single day event or performed daily throughout the month

Spitfire

For a long time, it was called "Advent".

It's traditionally a time for self-denial and spiritual reflection, much like Lent. The actual celebration with gifts and plum pudding was to occur on Christmas and not a moment before.

How we go from that to what our "holy month" is now is a rather complicated story.

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

right after black peter! :banana:

black-pete-dutch.jpg

Spitfire

When does Krampus come? :plain:
As soon as Saint Nicholas unleashes him upon the wicked. But he doesn't always do this.

austria1-wmaster.jpg

right after black peter! :banana:
That's Krampus' Dutch counterpart, formerly known for putting bad children in a bag and sending them to Spain (I'm still not sure why that would be such a bad thing). Krampus can sometimes be observed exhibiting similar behavior (albeit with a basket in this case).

Gruss_vom_Krampus.jpg

It may be necessary to clarify that, despite how we've bundled Krampus with Saint Nicholas, nothing involving Krampus is a formally religious event (Catholic or otherwise).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I need me one of them there "Krampus Baskets" for the grandchildren....Spain ya say, eh? :think:

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

i'm offended that the little boy is depicted as being bad while the little girl gets a gift of apples

clearly Krampus is racist against boys