Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In the bible, God is big on stigmatizing. Does this mean He wasn't loving? Our world is full of wickedness today with no shame. For example a mom having children out of wedlock has become no big thing. The bible would refer to her as a whore or a harlot. Nobody wanted this title due to the fear and humiliation they would endure. Due to this fear of shame the chances of it happening were far less. If the chances are far less then people stay healthier, safer and happier. So was God loving or unloving in stigmatizing?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Maybe it is because God knew certain activities would lead to death. If the behavior is stigmatized, you are less likely to do it. I don't think God was trying to kill the party. God loves us enough to warn us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nineveh

Merely Christian
That's about what I figure Shimei :) God made us, who better to write an "owner's manual" ?

And I hit the wrong button LOL, ok Poly, can you do magic to uncast my vote?

Crow

When I graduated from high school, out of 900+ kids, there was one girl that got pregnant that year. It was a scandal--there had been none for the previous 2 years. I lived in a very conservative farm community, and if a girl got pregnant, you weren't allowed to speak to her, go to her house, none of it. Same with the father if he was known. And that girl and her boyfriend did get married before the baby was born--again community pressure. Last I heard, about 5 years ago, they were still married.

Had there been no stigma, there would have been quite a few more pregnant girls in that school. A lot of the parents wouldn't even have bothered to get married, and they kids would have grown up in single parent homes.

And the times, they have changed. Last thing I heard, there were several pregnant girls at my old school, and some as young as 14. I think the stigma worked to protect kids, and helped prevent children from having children, or worse yet, children being raised by children.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Shimei
Maybe it is because God knew certain activities would lead to death. If the behavior is stigmatized, you are less likely to do it. I don't think God was tiring to kill the party. God loves us enough to warn us.
I'm assuming it was the "no" vote. :D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow
When I graduated from high school, out of 900+ kids, there was one girl that got pregnant that year. It was a scandal--there had been none for the previous 2 years. I lived in a very conservative farm community, and if a girl got pregnant, you weren't allowed to speak to her, go to her house, none of it. Same with the father if he was known. And that girl and her boyfriend did get married before the baby was born--again community pressure. Last I heard, about 5 years ago, they were still married.

Had there been no stigma, there would have been quite a few more pregnant girls in that school. A lot of the parents wouldn't even have bothered to get married, and they kids would have grown up in single parent homes.

And the times, they have changed. Last thing I heard, there were several pregnant girls at my old school, and some as young as 14. I think the stigma worked to protect kids, and helped prevent children from having children, or worse yet, children being raised by children.
I think many could give an example of the same case in point.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow

Amen