Trump is right to fight for the border wall

Danoh

I say give Trump his wall.

And all sorts of security measures to go with it.

And then sit back and watch as "the mother of invention - necessity" gradually finds all sorts of ways to circumvent all of it...

Fact is, both major political parties have repeatedly stymied the resolution of this issue.

For the simple fact that each has long been bought and paid for by the ever endless Corporate interests whose massive profits rely on the exploitation of, and extremely inexpensive labor provided them, by the illegal immigrant.

The whole thing reminds me of a once, long out of control, crime and drug infested neighborhood.

For decades, no matter what party was in office, down at City Hall, the assertion was that things were simply out of control, and that there was never enough money, nor manpower, towards a solution.

Til the Millennials took to that neighborhood, and its crime began to impact them.

Overnight, local Law Enforcement swept in, one week, and literally, rid that neighborhood of just about all of its once massive gang activity, and all the rest of it.

I say "just about all" because back before the Millennials began taking to that neighborhood, various real estate development companies had run roughshod through that neighborhood, succeding in building a great deal of government housing that many gang bangers and drug dealers now live in, thanks to their far too often ignorant and or simply irresponsible parents, and those real estate development companies, etc.

That part of their kind is still there.

Like rats and roaches.

Well, just as those real estate development companies had been so irresponsible for the sake of a profit, the same is the case with all those major corporations our massive illegal immigrant problem is the result of.

They are who DC should be going after on this issue.

But as a recent orientation of the recently voted into Congress men and women exposed, the major item on the agenda, was the attempt of various Corporate interests to ensure that said New Congress people be made crystal clear aware of whose interests they are there to actually serve - Corporate interests - aided and abetted throughout that orientation, by members of both major political parties.

Left? Right? Liberal? Conservative?

None of the above.

Rather, Crooks.

Let Trump have his wall, and so on.

For the obvious will make itself known, once more.

So will all the blameshifting.

On both sides of the aisle...

And by both their ever willfully blind supporters...as well.

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
He's refurbishing a wall to fuel your ridiculous, made up fears of something a wall can't do anything about_
How many rape or kill everyday, but you've chosen to be focused on these rare immigrants.

Danoh

He's refurbishing a wall to fuel your ridiculous, made up fears of something a wall can't do anything about_
How many rape or kill everyday, but you've chosen to be focused on these rare immigrants.

The criminals in that gentrified neighborhood I described are all U.S . citizens.

As were the largely white criminals in that neighborhood prior to them.

My point was about illegal immigrants being illegal immigrants, period, and about the corrupt Corporate-Political system in place in Washington DC on both sides of the aisle, that greatly profits from exploiting them as illegal immigrants.

That the swamp needs to be drained of that, if this problem is ever going to be properly addressed, to begin with.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Police officers and officials want the wall. History proves the wall works because crossing take place mostly where there is no wall. The only people who don't want the wall are leftwing Democrat idiots and imbeciles because they need the illegal votes.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardofOz

they quote some little bits and then paraphrase most of it - i'd prefer to see the original from DHS than the author's paraphrase

he does slip up here, when he paraphrases this: "to prevent tunneling under it to a depth of six feet"

that's very different than the DHS saying, as he implies, that a six foot depth will stop all tunnels

also, a bit disingenuous to bury in the text of the article the following: "the wall must have anti-climbing devices" after suggesting in a headline that "the DHS believes that a 30–foot tall wall cannot be scaled"

looks to me like DHS does indeed realize that a plain unadorned wall can be scaled

so, more strawmen from the brookings institute

it's a shame to see them stoop to this level - I used to respect their work

but then i used to respect the work done by those disgusting scumbags at the southern poverty law center

Until we can see the document or remarks quoted, this is the best we've got. :idunno: I've done some searching on the DHS website but am only finding press releases or other articles but nothing with the specifics.

Let me ask you this. Do you have any issues with this memo?

i would expect that a wall would stop most if not all of the cross border drug smuggling that currently occurs where there is no wall/fence/effective border security

What border agents say

Border Patrol agents on the front lines say they need more technology and additional personnel to curb the illegal traffic, according to a report released on Thursday by Democrats on the Senate Homeland Security Committee.

The report was based on internal Customs and Border Protection documents from the 2017 fiscal year. It concluded that less than one half of 1 percent of the agents’ suggestions to secure the Southwest border mentioned the need for a wall.

Congressional Democrats and some Republicans, including Representative Will Hurd of Texas, have questioned the need for a wall and instead called for more technology along the border, such as sensors and surveillance equipment. A February 2017 study by the Government Accountability Office found that Customs and Border Protection had not shown the extent to which fencing and walls have secured the border.

The House on Thursday approved spending money on border fencing, but not a border wall. The bill would fund nearly $1.6 billion for border security, including technology and repairs to existing barriers. That includes $641 million for about 33 miles of new border fencing in the Rio Grande Valley.

The president’s budget request for the 2019 fiscal year includes $43 million for remote video surveillance systems along the border and more funding for other security technology.

It also includes $255 million to hire and retain agents at the Border Patrol, which has been shedding personnel faster than it can hire. Agency documents indicate the Border Patrol must recruit 133 applicants to fill a single agent’s position. Mr. Trump wants to hire 5,000 new agents.

A program to detect drug tunnels beneath the southern border — another security priority cited by agents — was not funded in Mr. Trump’s budget request, the Democratic report noted.

There is already a lot of money secured for the US/Mexico border. The debate revolves around how to best maximize the resources allotted and how much throwing money at a wall can really help.

You don't think using technology for detecting tunnels would be worthwhile? This is a problem I have with Trump. He's identified a problem and thinks he has the only solution and it's his way or the highway. I just feel that the funding he seeks could be better allocated.

and i'm sure that DHS understands that drug smugglers won't just stop, they'll look for other ways to bring drugs cross-border, ways that aren't as easy as just walking or driving it across an open border

We don't have unlimited resources. Instead of throwing all eggs in one basket with a grand wall, patch the holes we've got, hire the agents we need and use technologies to detect illegal smuggling and immigration (drones, tunnel detection, port security).

I don't read anything you post. Your track record of ignorance and stupidity is too far and wide for me to ever waste my time.

You don't read anything I post but here you are responding to a post :sozo: that wasn't even directed at you.

Was I talking to you?
Spoiler
No, I was most definitely not :loser:

missed this one - re tunnels:

and what is the cost of a tunnel compared to a pickup traveling across a poorly monitored stretch of border?

answer: high

They're already doing it. Tunnels can go a long time without being detected so they are often worth the investment for smugglers.

It's the way I'd do it.

Driving or walking across is a roll of the dice. Going through a tunnel is almost guaranteed to get people and drugs across.

nobody thinks putting up a wall will stop the laws of supply and demand, but it will force smugglers to work harder and to use methods that are easier to combat

Exactly. Once the money for the wall dries up and smugglers/illegal immigrants find a new way (really old ways currently being utilized) then what? Border patrol and immigration will be that much more hamstrung.

We need to think this through rather than jumping on a Trump campaign slogan as if it's the only or best plan out there.

I'd like to see some fiscal responsibility but neither party seems to seek that anymore. :sigh:

If the Trump administration follows through on the president's promises to build a border wall, would it actually stop undocumented immigrants and illegal drugs? Two former smugglers explain how they'd work around it.

Since 2007, the number of undocumented immigrants who overstayed visas after first entering the country legally — across a bridge or port of entry — far outnumbered those who sneaked in, according to a 2017 report by the Center for Migration Studies. A wall would do nothing to stop them.

Physical barriers are no more useful for stopping most illegal drugs because the majority of them — like the people — are coming across the bridges and ports of entry. This fact is buried in plain sight every year in the first few pages of the Drug Enforcement Agency’s yearly National Drug Threat Assessment, which calls Mexican transnational criminal organizations, or TCOs, the “greatest criminal drug threat” to the country.

“The most common method employed by these TCOs involves transporting illicit drugs through U.S. ports of entry (POEs) in passenger vehicles with concealed compartments or commingled with legitimate goods on tractor trailers,” the 2017 report said.

Walls won’t stop that — or the dope that’s flying aboard drones, flung from catapults, shot out of cannons or sent in the mail.

In Texas, smugglers typically sneak weed over the Rio Grande, but they tend to hide the expensive stuff like heroin — chiva in Mexican slang — in vehicles driven over bridges or ports of entry that are crawling with law enforcement. Mexican heroin has contributed to a huge spike in opioid deaths in recent years, and they’re smuggling chiva right under the noses of the cops at the border crossings.

link

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
....I'd like to see some fiscal responsibility but neither party seems to seek that anymore.

Do you have a clue how many billions we spend on illegals, from healthcare to prisons to services to schools? And all Trump wants is five crappy billion? What the hell is the matter with people like you.

And now we have LEGAL immigrant, who followed the rules, and loved his new country so much that he chose to serve as a police officer, and now he is MURDERED because of people like YOU and your love of illegal aliens?

Do us all a favor and step off the planet.You are a waste of skin and a waste good good breathable air.

WizardofOz

Do you have a clue how many billions we spend on illegals, from healthcare to prisons to services to schools? And all Trump wants is five crappy billion? What the hell is the matter with people like you.
:hammer:
The wall isn't going to cost $5 billion, simpleton. You don't even know what he's asking for yet you're foaming at the mouth in a desparate attempt to defend everything 'Trump'

:mock: CatholicCrusader

And now we have LEGAL immigrant, who followed the rules, and loved his new country so much that he chose to serve as a police officer, and now he is MURDERED because of people like YOU and your love of illegal aliens?

See, you don't know how to read. I don't love illegals. I think we can stop the flow more efficiently through various means rather than 'throwing all our eggs in one basket', which this wall would be.

I've defending Trump. I've criticized Trump. I don't think you've ever done the latter due to you being a partisan hack. Has he ever done anything you disagree with? You're an ignorant little fan boy.

Is that you on the right or on the left?
Spoiler
Trump.png

Do us all a favor and step off the planet.You are a waste of skin and a waste good good breathable air.

You've proven yourself to be a liar who doesn't really know how to read so who cares what you have to say? :idunno:

WizardofOz

I'd rather listen to the opinion of someone who actually guards and enforces the border:

You'd rather listen to your echo chamber. Homan is a Trump appointee and paid Fox News contributor so he's hardly objective.

Are you capable of finding unbiased sourced?

You think DHS, ICE, etc want more funding? Who doesn't?

Danoh

Mexicans see models of Trump’s ‘impenetrable’ wall, and they’re not impressed...

...one irony of building these brawny prototypes at this location is that San Diego has long demonstrated the weakness of walls. Nowhere is more famous for its sophisticated border tunnels than this industrial sprawl near the Otay Mesa border crossing. The drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán, now imprisoned in New York, disrupted the narcotics trade...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/08/03/underworld-monte-reel

...by building "super-tunnels" here that were dozens of feet deep, equipped with elevators and ventilation and lighting, to move vast amounts of cocaine into California. Seven tunnels of various sizes...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-smuggling-tunnel-in-san-diego-idUSKCN1B700N

...have been identified by the San Diego sector of the Border Patrol just this year.

The ground here, as one U.S. official put it, "is like Swiss cheese."

Trump has pledged that the border wall will stop illegal immigrants and drugs. CBP officials ( U.S. Customs and Border Protection), however, said the walls under consideration are likely to not go deep enough to block large, sophisticated tunnels.

For the rest of this report, see...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...54bdb8-ad22-11e7-9b93-b97043e57a22_story.html

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Mexicans see models of Trump’s ‘impenetrable’ wall, and they’re not impressed

And we are supposed to be impressed with Mexicans' opinions?

Border officials say the wall works. In the areas where there is some wall there are almost no crossings. Furthermore, Trump never said that the wall works by itself. He has always said that it is one layer in a multi-layered approach. That fact have been ignored by the fake news liars.

Former ICE chief Tom Homan rips Nancy Pelosi for doubting border wall works
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/26/tom-homan-former-ice-chief-rips-nancy-pelosi-doubt/

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Trump is right to fight for the border wall

7 Republicans in the House voted with the Democrats to pass a government funding bill tonight which provided no money for "THE WALL!"

2 vulnerable Republican Senators facing re-election in 2020 have stated that they would also support such a bill - if 2 more join them, McConnell will have lost his GOP majority!

The loss of 40 Republican House seats in 2018 is already forcing conservative politicians in the House and Senate who are up for re-election n 2020 to re-evaluate their support for this President who has become a major political liability!