toldailytopic: Why did God create mankind?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 28th, 2012 03:52 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Dena

We evolved. Why? I don't know. Because that's the way the universe works. Why did God set up the universe that way? I don't know. He probably didn't. It's just the nature of his being.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why did God create us? I've heard this question quite a few times. Lets look at a few scriptures to get our answers.

Psalm 8:3-4 - When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?

God doesn't actually need us. The Psalmist in this verses realizes that in these words. God created the universe and our earth in comparison is but a speck. 600 of our suns can fit lined up in the straight line inside the star Betelgeuse.

Acts 17:24-25 - “God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.

God didn't create us out of any kind of specific emotional need either. He doesn't need His 'self esteem' boosted and He certainly doesn't need human worshipers. Our presence doesn't influence in any way Who He is.

So why create beings in His Image? God is a loving and creative God. When God created this universe He graced it with a masterpiece in His image, Man, a being that could recognize Him and respond to Him.

Ephesians 2:10 sums it up nicely. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Should walk in them. It is important to remember that we are not reprogrammed robots in some cosmic game against the Devil. God gave each of us a free will so that we can choose to follow God. God intends for us to do good works for Him but we can choose to walk away. The Bible is full of accounts where the Nation of Israel did not fulfill its intended purpose.

Wile E. Coyote

We evolved. Why? I don't know. Because that's the way the universe works. Why did God set up the universe that way? I don't know. He probably didn't. It's just the nature of his being.
Isn't it too coincidental that we "evolved" from slime to God's image?
ugly_wink.gif

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

Letsargue

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 28th, 2012 03:52 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

The very same as all the reasons that man desires a Family. --- Mark 13:12 KJV --- Every Word of it.

Paul – 092812

Son of Jack

God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next.

:)

I was going to say to know Him and to make Him known, and I'd add that we can begin to be happy with Him forever right now because whoever has believed in Jesus the Messiah has moved from death to life (John 5:24). We just need to see through the eyes of grace and realize that His grace is all around us, right here, right now.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We evolved. Why did God set up the universe that way? I don't know.

How can you say this when there is no evidence? This theory was concocted because Darwin in his attempt to shake his fist at God, said life came about gradually, and we would find it in the fossil record. But the link to the palentologist shows the opposite. His theory is that one day short necked giraffes just grew a long neck. In fact Gould said, paraphrasing, it is the great trade secret of palentology that Darwin is 180 degrees out in his theory from what they found.

PureX

I can't prove a word of it, but I prefer to believe that the essential nature of "God" is love. And for love to be fulfilled, it needs an object: a "beloved". So I believe that existence (including ourselves) is both the object of, and expression of, God's divine love.

keypurr

I wonder sometimes if this is God's proving grounds. Where we must prove worthy to be with him. For we were created by him for him.

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: