toldailytopic: Why did God create animals?

Alate_One

I can't imagine what I have posted that would make you come to that conclusion. Have you been drinking?
No, but I often wonder if you have been. A majority of people on public assistance are children. Right wingers love to tell the rest of us that people on assistance are all just lazy people that game the system. How are kids supposed to be supporting themselves?

What if their parents simply CANNOT find a job (like say the current economy)? What if the jobs don't pay enough to support their kids?

What then?

And why are we talking about this instead of talking about either eating tasty animals or not killing tigers for aphrodisiacs?

some other dude

No, but I often wonder if you have been.

Dang! Thanks for reminding me! I left a beer in the freezer.

Mmmmm - Genny Cream slushie! :cheers:

A majority of people on public assistance are children.

Cite?

Right wingers love to tell the rest of us that people on assistance are all just lazy people that game the system.

:idunno: Which right wingers?

How are kids supposed to be supporting themselves?

:think: Well, ideally, they would be supported by your basic nuclear family, you know, Ward and June, supporting the Beaver and Wally? Of course, Beaver would try to earn money washing cars so he could buy a box for his frog, and Wally would work in the soda shop so he could afford to take Mary Lou to the sock hop. And by doing so they learned the value of a dollar and the honesty of hard work. But mostly they were supported by Ward's paycheck and they lived frugally with the boys sharing a room.

What if their parents simply CANNOT find a job (like say the current economy)?

Then they move to where the jobs are, or they take multiple jobs, or they make do on less.

I don't know where you live but around here there's always hiring signs up for dishwashers and the like.

What if the jobs don't pay enough to support their kids?

They make do on less.

Did you know there are homes in Detroit that can be bought for $1?

And why are we talking about this instead of talking about either eating tasty animals

:chew:

or not killing tigers for aphrodisiacs?

I prefer to drop them out of airplanes to test their morals. :)

Arthur Brain

Well yes.

Well no. You obviously missed the context with your reply to Alate which had to be pointed out.

:idunno: They can go out and get a job and support themselves?

Oh of course! Because there's jobs for everybody out there! Nobody is being laid off and folk can just walk into employment regardless of where they live or anything else! Are you seriously this naive? I guess all the folks I know who have been trying to find work for months are just being lazy right? :plain:

Actually, that's the way the system works. You can only get unemployment benefits out of the system if you have paid into it while you have been working.

Well thankfully we have a system where people who haven't worked are given benefits also because without such many people would suffer including children.

some other dude

Well yes.

Oh of course! Because there's jobs for everybody out there! Nobody is being laid off and folk can just walk into employment regardless of where they live or anything else! Are you seriously this naive? I guess all the folks I know who have been trying to find work for months are just being lazy right? :plain:

Where I live there's jobs available. :idunno:

Well thankfully we have a system where people who haven't worked are given benefits

If the government will pay me money without working, why on earth would I choose to work?

Why not just bust into shops, loot and riot up and down the street?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Why don't we have welfare checks for animals? :think:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Did you know that in New Zealand you can go to jail for squashing a spider?

Arthur Brain

Well yes.

Um, no dude, you missed the context which is there to see. In the "immortal" words of SD 'let the reader decide'. :plain:

Where I live there's jobs available. :idunno:

Good. Not everywhere else is as fortunate to be in such a position. You do realize that right? You're not naive enough to think that there's a job that everyone can walk into?

If the government will pay me money without working, why on earth would I choose to work?

Because you'd be better off? Benefits aren't the 'lap of luxury' dude. They cover the basics and little else. If you take them away from people then what are they supposed to live on? Or their children?

Why not just bust into shops, loot and riot up and down the street?

That's happening even with the benefits system so it's pretty dumb to blame current events on the welfare system anyway dude.

Ted L Glines

I'd like to ask an offshoot question. What duty, if any, does man have in "protecting" animals? :think:

Sometimes such protection goes overboard. Citizens of western Kentucky are still quite grumpy about the "green" move to reintroduce rattlesnakes into their region. I've even heard tales that the immigrated rattlers have mated with the local garter snakes (sexy things) and they now have poisonous garter snakes.

Wasn't it somewhere around Idaho where they figured it was a good move to reintroduce wolves? I guess they reasoned that those NRA-supporters could use more target practice LOL

On the other hand, there was the costal Florida case where wealthy boat-owners were running over and killing manatees. Right there is where I become grumpy and start thinking things like: Have those wealthy boat-owners had their annual bullet-proof test? Ah well, someone will say that this slaughter is all part of God's plan. Never fails.

We are losing species at an alarming rate, mostly due to incursions of humans, like the massive slash-cutting of whole rain forests in South America by lumber corporations. Is there any help for that?

some other dude

artie brian said:
Um, no dude

Um, yes artie

It is good. They don't pay as well as the manufacturing jobs of the past, but they're out there.

Not everywhere else is as fortunate to be in such a position.

I wouldn't know. I haven't talked to "everyone".

Have you?

You do realize that right? You're not naive enough to think that there's a job that everyone can walk into?

Within five miles of my house there's a dozen menial labor (dishwashing, etc) jobs that I'm aware of and I'm not even looking.

Because you'd be better off?

No way. Sounds like a lot of work.

Benefits aren't the 'lap of luxury' dude. They cover the basics and little else. If you take them away from people then what are they supposed to live on? Or their children?

Who cares? Welfare will cover my basic needs, I will abandon my children to their foolish mothers that I tired of when their bellies swelled and I will do as I like.

That's happening even with the benefits system

:idea:

I suppose it's too much to hope for your light bulb to go on also.

so it's pretty dumb to blame current events on the welfare system anyway dude.

[sarcasm]Heavens no. I'm certain there's no connection whatsoever between a failed social program and civil unrest. :doh: [/sarcasm]

(artie - the :doh: is an indication that you're not being very sharp)

Glenda

Does the word ecosystem mean anything to you?

The Garden of Eden was a permaculture system. Contrast permaculture systems with modern agricultural practices (monoculture, pesticides, chemical fertilizers). One system sustains itself, and only needs tending. The other system must be sustained by "the sweat of thy brow," and it's a constant uphill battle. God created animals, insects and plants to function as a self-sustaining ecosystem.

Absolutely!
God created all things 'good' with beneficial functions to the whole.
Some creatures are pollinators and some are garbage disposal units and some are composters or toilet cleaners etc etc and all have their right place in the big picture.
The problem is when they aren't in their right place or performing the function they were created for, often due to inappropriate human involvement eg introducing wrong creatures into an environement they shouldn't have been in, often resulting in plagues of undesirable creatures

Ted L Glines

As if liberals care what happens to black children.

Maybe think about that. It always has been primarily the liberals who have promoted and supported public assistance programs for all ethnic groups, and it is the more liberal churches which support missionary programs in Somalia, Darfur, The Sudan, etc.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
If Geomyces destructans causes bats to go extinct, that's not necessarily bad, but if we cause Condors to go extinct, it's bad?
It's bad because we were created to be stewards of God's creation. Causing species to go extinct is being a poor steward of that creation.

some other dude said:
My dog chooses whether or not to climb on the table and eat my dinner. Why would I expect wolves to be different?
Your dog doesn't choose to do that, it sees an opportunity for food and goes for it. Because you do not properly discipline your dog, your dog knows he can get away with it. Other people who discipline their dogs don't have this problem. In any case, animals do not choose the way your statement is intended to imply.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
And entertainment. In terms of priority, I put food first, work the land second.
I agree with entertainment. But I did not have a particular priority in mind. They are different things at different times to different people.

Nick M said:
Art? You mean like how awsome it is to watch Air Jaws on Shark week?
Yea, they way the move. I was also thinking of peacocks.

Alate_One

Dang! Thanks for reminding me! I left a beer in the freezer.
That explains a lot.

By percent, the highest poverty rates are in children, the very highest is in children under the age of 5. Census Bureau.

:idunno: Which right wingers?
Look at any post about welfare on this site. Every conversation I've ever had about social assistance with a right winger has always either implied or directly stated that they thought almost everyone on assistance was simply lazy.

:think: Well, ideally, they would be supported by your basic nuclear family, you know, Ward and June, supporting the Beaver and Wally?
What if they don't have that. Only older kids can work. Or are you advocating for a repeal of child labor laws?

Then they move to where the jobs are, or they take multiple jobs, or they make do on less.
How do they make do on less if they have no income at all? How can they afford to move if they have no money?

I don't know where you live but around here there's always hiring signs up for dishwashers and the like.
Funny, I haven't seen any. I've also been told by unemployed people I know that they don't even get called back by walmart.

Besides do you not believe the statistics that current job growth is not even keeping up with population growth? How then can there be "jobs for everyone"? Give us a cite for that one.

They make do on less.
Oh? you expect people to survive on next to nothing? You assume they are healthy. What if they sick and need medicine. Do you think people can balance food, housing and medicine on $1500 per month? That's assuming they can find a job at all. And that's also assuming

Did you know there are homes in Detroit that can be bought for $1?
And you think those homes are livable or are in areas where you won't get shot? And before you tell these poor people to repair them, with WHAT MONEY?

You, like so many other right wingers, live in a dreamworld where everyone is healthy living in a stable family and can easily support themselves, but just won't. Actual statistics on welfare do not support this idea at all. You also seem to be ignoring the fact that many programs REQUIRE able bodied people to work to receive benefits.

Arthur Brain

Um, yes artie

Um, well no dude. You somehow misread Alate as demonstrated by your reply which in turn had to be pointed out. It's all there in black and white.

It is good. They don't pay as well as the manufacturing jobs of the past, but they're out there.

Not for everyone, everywhere they aren't.

I wouldn't know. I haven't talked to "everyone".

Have you?

It's very evident that you don't know. I'm currently unemployed myself and have been in such a position at varying times in my life. During such I've been on a variety of training courses where people from all manner of professional backgrounds have been struggling to find employment because the opportunities simply aren't there or the the competition for such jobs is rife. I wager I've more experience to talk on the topic than you have dude. Having said that it doesn't exactly require a Mensa membership to realize that certain areas are going to have more recruitment opportunities than others. It's really just common sense.

Within five miles of my house there's a dozen menial labor (dishwashing, etc) jobs that I'm aware of and I'm not even looking.

And? You think everywhere else has the same prospects and that there's work available for everyone? Even politicians in this country are honest enough to admit there's no such possibility of 'full employment'.

No way. Sounds like a lot of work.

What's that supposed to mean exactly? You think everyone out of work deliberately chooses not to seek employment? If you do you're an idiot.

Who cares? Welfare will cover my basic needs, I will abandon my children to their foolish mothers that I tired of when their bellies swelled and I will do as I like.

You should care if you're a Christian and have any passing charity for your fellow man. It seems you're ok with allowing families to go without food and intent on sitting in ignorant judgement on all those out of work. :plain:

:idea:

I suppose it's too much to hope for your light bulb to go on also.

[sarcasm]Heavens no. I'm certain there's no connection whatsoever between a failed social program and civil unrest. :doh: [/sarcasm]

So......taking what little money away that people actually have and leaving them with nothing would result in a content society overall would it? :rolleyes:

(artie - the :doh: is an indication that you're not being very sharp)

Meh...having my mental faculties being called into question by yourself deserves as much credence as an accusation of racism by the KKK

:e4e:

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What do you get for squashing a jailer?
Dunno. But my brother is one of those, I guess, and he ain't going to be easy to squash! :chuckle:

Any physical contact with a whale gets you a $30,000 fine. :noway:

some other dude

this way little whale, right over here, right into the micrwave....

yang-yang-beluga-whale-1.jpg